website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019

Wumo

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

This is my viewpoint at this point (for all Olympic sports). Either very few people are doping and WADA is trying to catch people, or WADA is only catching certain people that they want too (scenario I hate the most), or more likely in some sports everyone is doping (so competition is somewhat fair) and in other sports not many are and those that do get caught (fair).

Based on history, I bet everyone's using doping but only some get caught. And let's be honest, there's a special emphasis on countries like Russia, China or East Africa while the Western countries are able to get away with it. The last major doping scandal involving track & field athletes from USA only got exposed because it was so big it stretched beyond this single event.

Imagine if Coleman was Russian or Kenyan. He'd be eaten alive by all the Western media. Now it's just finding excuses for him.

Few years ago I used to hate Dwain Chambers but at least he was honest about his doping. No typical bullshit we hear all the time now.

27 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Imagine if Coleman was Russian or Kenyan. He'd be eaten alive by all the Western media. Now it's just finding excuses for him.

I think that is has become just a phrase or a make-believe truth here that "the Western media" only scandalizes doping in countries which are not part of the so called "West". In the real world, several reputable newspapers and TV stations in Germany reported in detail about Coleman and his missed tests were the top topic of the first days of the WCh (next to the farce all around this year's WCh). Nobody here believes his shady excuses (noone in any country with any brain cells left should). Same thing happened when Lance Armstrong, Marion Jones or Maurice Greene got caught. And moreover, I am pretty sure that ARD (TV station which inverstigations had a huge impact to uncover the Russian state-sponsered doping) will do the same efforts if there are hints, witnesses, victims regarding a possible doping scandal in the US or any other "Western" country.

12 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

I think that is has become just a phrase or a make-believe truth here that "the Western media" only scandalizes doping in countries which are not part of the so called "West". In the real world, several reputable newspapers and TV stations in Germany reported in detail about Coleman and his missed tests were the top topic of the first days of the WCh (next to the farce all around this year's WCh). Nobody here believes his shady excuses (noone in any country with any brain cells left should). Same thing happened when Lance Armstrong, Marion Jones or Maurice Greene got caught. And moreover, I am pretty sure that ARD (TV station which inverstigations had a huge impact to uncover the Russian state-sponsered doping) will do the same efforts if there are hints, witnesses, victims regarding a possible doping scandal in the US or any other "Western" country.

Somehow I don't believe ARD would be let anywhere near the Salazar's empire in Oregon though. And Mo Farah is treated like a God by BBC & the UK media. So there is that. I believe Farah got warned off after his 2015 DNA passport anomalies so that he came away clean come 2016. There is some protection involved IMO. Sebastian Coe has a strong ally in the Caster Semenya controversy so he's gonna ride this horse out to appease the public while protecting the USA & UK. Not to mention Russia & Kenya are easy punchbags too.

15 hours ago, szy123 said:

F1 and all motosports are crap. Just driving circles and noise and pollution. Apart from Formula E, where it's just driving circles.

I went to an F1 race a year ago with a friend.  I'm not into motosports and found it pretty boring but I tried to be positive for my friend who was a huge F1 fan his whole life and was excited to see his first race live.  After the event he turned to me and said, "That was one of the most boring things I've ever seen".  I guess it's better on TV?  Still not my cup of tea, personally.  Although growing up in Montreal, the party atmosphere on Grand Prix weekend was always fun.