website statistics

Badminton BWF World Junior Championships 2018

intoronto

32 minutes ago, intoronto said:

She literally started the sport in September and found out then this would be her first major event.

To be honest, I have to say that's pretty extreme. But it is good to see lesser known associations being active

3 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

To be honest, I have to say that's pretty extreme. But it is good to see lesser known associations being active

I have heard stories from so many national federations here and the small(er) ones get a subsidy from the BWF

Just now, intoronto said:

I have heard stories from so many national federations here and the small(er) ones get a subsidy from the BWF

Yes the travel grant for those who compete in mixed team event.

Brings back memories from Yogyakarta 2017, where 4 Mongolians who compete by themselves because their coach was sick (but later came after the mixed team event), players from Ghana who chose badminton over football. one Dutch player whose mother is Indonesian, and one men's singles from El Salvador who later competed in the Youth Olympics

5 hours ago, intoronto said:

She literally started the sport in September and found out then this would be her first major event.

It's both encouraging and worrying that someone can start a sport and within 2 months play at (junior) world championships :p Although good to see a country like Guyana being represented, hopefully those players will keep up the work.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!