website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2018

I almost forgot, but of course a big 'well done' to @dezbee2008 (and @OlympicIRL) for all the work for another awesome contest :d And congratulations to @dezbee2008 and @Olympian1010 for your second place :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

But first you need to win another silver..... you won 2 bronze, and now you have 1 silver.... you need another silver and then you can go for a double gold. Symmetry is very important :d

Great, we just won next year's open and the 2020 annual. Thanks a lot :p

Kudos to @dezbee2008 for waking up at 5 AM and keeping everything in place for a nice contest. :bowdown: Also thanks to everyone who joined the thread today, at least for one bit.

Congratulations to medalist @Agger @wumo26 @dezbee2008 @Olympian1010 @OlympicIRL once again, and also everyone who scored various team medals. :AUT:TUR:BUL:INA:NED:FIN have won their first ever TISC medals, so special congrats to them.

Also, once again, thanks to everyone who awarded us points. :cheer: A total of 37 for 30th place. At least it's not the worst ever result.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

13 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Meh, that isn't an issue. We vote Slovakia a lot last few contests and their language is completely alien to me. It's just that hckosice picks catchy songs (from my point of view).

Yes, you say that, but then there's quotes such as this " More disappointing is that we only got 1 point between Mexico, Chile, Colombia and Brazil. Was not expecting that if I'm honest. "

It's not that I am strictly blaming anything, I just said that our language is not culturally familiar or impactful to possibly have the same impact as songs that are culturally familiar. Sure, it doesn't look like a huge game changer when it comes to the high points that catchy songs get, but there is a certain effect that lingers between lower points and that is perfectly understandable, because it's the culture that you grew up with and you're more inclined to be moved by certain songs or feel a certain connection to them. There's nothing in here saying that you can't enjoy unfamiliar songs, especially if they're good, but we're also not surprised when Tunisia likes Turkey, when the spanish/portuguese speaking nations appreciate the languages that are familiar to their ear and so on, so on. Seeing as you've expected more from these certain countries, it's giving my point some validity.

Congrats @dezbee2008 and @Olympian1010 for organizing this contest, well done :) 

Also @OlympicIRL, supervaisor who helps as always and @vinipereira for logo

I'm looking forward for Annual contest as I already have selected song for this contest :d also I already 3 candidates for next Open contest :lol:

hace 2 minutos, Werloc said:

Yes, you say that, but then there's quotes such as this " More disappointing is that we only got 1 point between Mexico, Chile, Colombia and Brazil. Was not expecting that if I'm honest. "

It's not that I am strictly blaming anything, I just said that our language is not culturally familiar or impactful to possibly have the same impact as songs that are culturally familiar. Sure, it doesn't look like a huge game changer when it comes to the high points that catchy songs get, but there is a certain effect that lingers between lower points and that is perfectly understandable, because it's the culture that you grew up with and you're more inclined to be moved by certain songs or feel a certain connection to them. There's nothing in here saying that you can't enjoy unfamiliar songs, especially if they're good, but we're also not surprised when Tunisia likes Turkey, when the spanish/portuguese speaking nations appreciate the languages that are familiar to their ear and so on, so on. Seeing as you've expected more from these certain countries, it's giving my point some validity.

Those were just my expectations before the contest but reality was otherwise. We received far more votes from others.

2 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Those were just my expectations before the contest but reality was otherwise. We received far more votes from others.

Look, I just shared my thoughts why, in my opinion, most songs in Lithuanian finished in the 30s and actually even said that I am glad to be proven wrong this year.

This is the first time ever that I didn't award points to Denmark. I knew something is rotten there. Guess what, they won :d

Congratulation Denmark, happy fkr Agger. :champion:

Thank you all who voted for NZ. Will check the thread over these days.

Thank you Dez for being a wonderful host. Also to new USA mwmber, Olympian1010.

Sad that Russia finished so low. Amazing and powerful song although it doesn't mean much to the people who haven't lived in the eastern block. Glad that Tsoi made appearance here