website statistics

Women's Volleyball CEV European Championship 2019

Totallympics

Every Euro Champ in all sports (bar mens football) should be with 16 teams period.. Stop bloathing the competitions for some minor benefits, which are not even visible. Poor games, poor attendance, 70% irrelevant matches. And they want bigger interest..

Just now, LDOG said:

Who thought it was a good idea to have 24 teams? This is not handball, past the 12th team the level is almost amateur :lol:

Yeah, I agree... In Men's ECH this kind of makes sense because the level of teams is way more balanced, there's like 10 nations that could fight for a  medal ( :POL, :FRA:RUS , :SRB, :ITA , :BUL , :GER , :SLO , potentially :BEL or even :NED), teams like :CZE, :FIN  or :TUR are always a threat, and even  teams like :UKR or :AUT made big progress lately. Other sports also increase the number of teams participating in the EC, so volleyball had to do the same in order to not lose the fans. Meanwhile in women's championship even 16 teams was arguably too many, as there is only a handful of good teams. And I don't think any other sport has 24 teams in the European Championship, not even football, so why would CEV do that... :mumble:

Although I must say the level of the matches so far is nowhere as low as I expected. (with :BEL vs :UKR being the exception)

Edited by VolleyRuller96

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

Volleyball must have the most busy international schedule out of all team sports. It's like FIVB creates a new tournament every other year just for the sake of it or expands the number of participants in existing ones. Club level play is pushed deep into the cheap seats, it's more or less the same countries and teams that reach the final stages of all these European cups and players take part in more NT games than domestic league. We have Olympics, WCh, ECh, World Cup, World League (or Nations League now) and all these qualifying events too. Does it really help the expansion of the sport? Other than Iran I see no other global men's team that has arrived and made an impact but they basically replaced Cuba which has imploded with all their best players deserting them. In Europe maybe Finland and Slovenia are like the new wave. Volleyball is a pretty niche team sport and that's unlikely to change tbh.

Just now, Monzanator said:

Volleyball must have the most busy international schedule out of all team sports. It's like FIVB creates a new tournament every other year just for the sake of it or expands the number of participants in existing ones. Club level play is pushed deep into the cheap seats, it's more or less the same countries and teams that reach the final stages of all these European cups and players take part in more NT games than domestic league. We have Olympics, WCh, ECh, World Cup, World League (or Nations League now) and all these qualifying events too. Does it really help the expansion of the sport? Other than Iran I see no other global men's team that has arrived and made an impact but they basically replaced Cuba which has imploded with all their best players deserting them. In Europe maybe Finland and Slovenia are like the new wave. Volleyball is a pretty niche team sport and that's unlikely to change tbh.

Well, if we're considering Iran, then there's also Canada (they actually won a medal in WL, while Iran didn't), on european level we have Belgium , Germany, France also used to be pretty mediocre comparing to now..

But yeah, I agree that the international calendar is ridiculous.pretty soon the players won't be able to catch a break. I think they should just get rid of World Cup and Grand Champions Cup alltogether (does anyone even watch WGCC?) the same should happen to CEV challenge cup . World league format should be changed -  have one year serve as continetal qualification, and the next year should serve as the "final" tournament, with X best teams in the world prequalified and clear promotion/relegation criteria for each continent. Let's be honest, the Nations League is a complete joke that noone takes seriously.

Sadly, FIVB apparently thinks pushing this many tournaments is "promoting the sport".

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

yay a win :d Acording to the commentator it was only the 3rd win in the history for our female NT at Major tournaments (basically only ECH 3x 2003, 2007, 2009), last time it was the 25th September 2009 at the ECh in Poland against :CZE 3-2 :d

so nice evening for the girls to enter the nations history this way infront of their families and friends :d

Congratulations to :SVK and :HUN for winning their respective opening matches :champion:Very nice atmosphere in both countries, the stadiums weren't really full but the fans seemed to really enjoy themselves, so I hope this championship will help volleyball to grow in those countries, especially since they just lack one win to advance to eightfinals, which would be a huge success for both nations.

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

yay a win :d Acording to the commentator it was only the 3rd win in the history for our female NT at Major tournaments (basically only ECH 3x 2003, 2007, 2009), last time it was the 25th September 2009 at the ECh in Poland against :CZE 3-2 :d

so nice evening for the girls to enter the nations history this way infront of their families and friends :d

Yep, right only 3rd win in history and first after 10 years, no surprise The celebrations escalated like after winning some Olympic gold or so :lol: ...well, let´s hope they will win at least one more game to rewrite the history again and qualify for the next phase for the first time ever

GYcGnfzDSPP2m3m5ORLB4g.1280~Rados-sloven

69169338_2663182870380020_22350138402469

Apparently there is again some confusion regarding technical time-outs. In some host countries there's no breaks after 8th and 16th point, while other countries still  kept it in place :facepalm:Oh, CEV...