Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

juddy96

Canada National Thread | Road to Tokyo 2020

2014 Olympic bronze medalist alpine skier Jan Hudec has transferred his nationality to the Czech Republic. I don’t blame him, Alpine Canada didn’t want him and he still wanted to compete.

Link

So the virtual medal table got updated and it knocked Canada down further to 15 medals. I can't remember which ones got dropped. I may be a tad optimistic here but I think that is on the low end. I think we may see more success in Swimming and Athletics than we have in the past, whether or not that leads to more medals though remains to be determined.

I also think its highly unlikely that Canada takes gold in the women's Team Pursuit, which we are predicted to.

29 minutes ago, james89 said:

So the virtual medal table got updated and it knocked Canada down further to 15 medals. I can't remember which ones got dropped. I may be a tad optimistic here but I think that is on the low end. I think we may see more success in Swimming and Athletics than we have in the past, whether or not that leads to more medals though remains to be determined.

I also think its highly unlikely that Canada takes gold in the women's Team Pursuit, which we are predicted to.

I don't look at Gracenote's virtual table. Its full of errors lol. 

Anything above 18 medals will be a success for Canada.

On 6/11/2016 at 21:23, james89 said:

I think 15 is the bare minimum we should expect, with 20 the upper end.  But if things work out well in some events and for some athletes, the record of 22 could be broken.  The issue for Canada is that we don't have any real favourites for gold, except maybe trampoline just due to Rosie's 2012 gold.  It just seems like for each star athlete we have there is always another one who is a bit better (Ryan Cochrane in the 1500m free is the best example of this over the last decade).  Again, if things work out well we could see quite a few golds.  If things don't work out we could easily be shut out of the top of the podium.  But hey, at least Brooke Henderson is peaking at the right time so maybe she can pull something off in golf.  

I'm just happy that we seem to have a strong athletics team this year in various events (including both the decathlon and heptathlon) so finally all of that will be extra fun to watch.  I also feel like we have a lot of teams going this year (fingers still crossed for the m's basketball and rugby teams).  Anyone know how that stacks up to other years?  

I'm not a huge fan of this marketing campaign, but it is indeed well crafted. Getting pretty excited. 

Il y a 16 heures , intoronto a déclaré:

I watched it a lot on YT it is really well done and gives me chills :CAN

My medal predictions for Canada:

Athletics: 6 - De Grasse in either the 100 or 200, Barber, Drouin, 4x100 relay (men), Warner, Brianne Theisen-Eaton. I don't think Bishop can beat three men ahead of her (sorry to be blunt).

Basketball: 1 - Women's team. Canada can beat any team in group A imo, but Spain/Serbia/USA in Group B will set the tone.

Boxing: 1 - With luck both women will need just one win to medal. Hopefully one can pull it out.

Canoeing: 1 - De Jonge in the K1 200

Cycling: 3 - Women's team pursuit; either Batty or Pendrel in the mountain biking, Beveridge in the omnium 

Diving: 3 - Both women's synchro events and Jennifer Abel in the 3m individual event. 

Golf: 1 - Brooke Henderson (hopefully, but this is probably the hardest sport to predict).

Gymnastics: 1 - MacLennan in trampoline

Judo: 1 - Again this is a hard sport to predict. However with three seeded athletes (Valois-Foriter, Beauchmin-Pinard and Zupancic) I believe 1 is possible. Others such as Reyes and Margdelion are young and have potential as well.

Rowing: 2 - Women's eights and Women's lighweight double sculls

Rugby sevens: 1 - Women's team

Wrestling: 3 - Gallays, Yeats and Wiebe to medal

24 in total

Yes I predicted 0 for swimming, but realistically I see no medals for Canada in swimming.

13 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Athletics: 6 - De Grasse in either the 100 or 200, Barber, Drouin, 4x100 relay (men), Warner, Brianne Theisen-Eaton. I don't think Bishop can beat three men ahead of her (sorry to be blunt).

Basketball: 1 - Women's team. Canada can beat any team in group A imo, but Spain/Serbia/USA in Group B will set the tone.

Boxing: 1 - With luck both women will need just one win to medal. Hopefully one can pull it out.

Cycling: 3 - Women's team pursuit; either Batty or Pendrel in the mountain biking, Beveridge in the omnium 

Diving: 3 - Both women's synchro events and Jennifer Abel in the 3m individual event. 

Golf: 1 - Brooke Henderson (hopefully, but this is probably the hardest sport to predict).

Judo: 1 - Again this is a hard sport to predict. However with three seeded athletes (Valois-Foriter, Beauchmin-Pinard and Zupancic) I believe 1 is possible. Others such as Reyes and Margdelion are young and have potential as well.

24 in total

Yes I predicted 0 for swimming, but realistically I see no medals for Canada in swimming.

3 golds, and 20+ medals in overall will be big success for Canada!

36 minutes ago, intoronto said:

24 in total

Your predictions seem to be a tad optimistic in some sports but to be perfectly honest if the cards fall right we may have the potential for more chances (one of the men's rowing crews, Van Koeverdan or Oldershaw repeating, or as you said swimming). So it'll probably even out, with our typical Canadian luck in some sports. 

As as for swimming I think Canada has the potential to make the finals in many events and hopefully that will lead to a surprise medal somewhere. One of the young team members could be a breakout star.