website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Cup 2018 - 2019

hckošice

10 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Wow,interesting fact. :yes Something like swimming suits until 2009? 

She was quite average skiier until 2016 and suddenly she is unbeatable. Not that i am against her,nothing like that, but her level of form last 2 years is unexplicable to some extent. Kranjec winning is to be expected, he is among top 5 skiers in GS last few seasons. Put aside Mikaela and Marcel,cant recall any  other skier that is capable of winning back to back races weekend after weekend.

But at least season is becoming more and more interesting. :)

We have a new female expert for the women races the past two years (former European Cup winner) and she says all these litte things that she said nobody has talked about before. It's funny since everyone follows the technical aspect in ski jumping or cross country but not in alpine skiing. She said the gliding courses like here in Val Gardena are particulary prone to a technical advantage of the richest teams and it's also the reason most of the B-team Austrians suddenly posted better than expected results (Siebenhofer, Ager, Puchner).

vor einer Stunde schrieb Monzanator:

We have a new female expert for the women races the past two years (former European Cup winner) and she says all these litte things that she said nobody has talked about before. It's funny since everyone follows the technical aspect in ski jumping or cross country but not in alpine skiing. She said the gliding courses like here in Val Gardena are particulary prone to a technical advantage of the richest teams and it's also the reason most of the B-team Austrians suddenly posted better than expected results (Siebenhofer, Ager, Puchner).

If anything that shows you how little knowledge so called "experts" have. Not saying Austrians don't have an advantage but if anything they have historically always been way better on technical slopes and the only reason why skiers like puchner or ager suddenly have great results is because they are (and always have been for that matter) good at gliding and bad on technical slopes. If it was all about the skis and not about the skiers why would Austrians like veith not benefit from this. Why would the Austrian men (with the exception of max franz) struggle at the gröden downhill year after year.

That said I found Stuhec suddenly turning great after maze retired weird too but I think that had more to do with her getting more resources by the Slovenian federation all around and not just getting maze's old ski's which I btw doubt are still used

Edit: also people should calm down a bit about stuhec "dominating" the speed disciplines. She just won two races by small margins on a slope that suits her like no other one. she isn't and I' pretty sure won't dominate this downhill and super-g season 

Edited by Gigs

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

I guess using those big trucks for waxing makes it impossible not to question the technical aspect. :d

#banbestmen

24 minutes ago, Gigs said:

If anything that shows you how little knowledge so called "experts" have. Not saying Austrians don't have an advantage but if anything they have historically always been way better on technical slopes and the only reason why skiers like puchner or ager suddenly have great results is because they are (and always have been for that matter) good at gliding and bad on technical slopes. If it was all about the skis and not about the skiers why would Austrians like veith not benefit from this. Why would the Austrian men (with the exception of max franz) struggle at the gröden downhill year after year.

That said I found Stuhec suddenly turning great after maze retired weird too but I think that had more to do with her getting more resources by the Slovenian federation all around and not just getting maze's old ski's which I btw doubt are still used

Edit: also people should calm down a bit about stuhec "dominating" the speed disciplines. She just won two races by small margins on a slope that suits her like no other one. she isn't and I' pretty sure won't dominate this downhill and super-g season 

Our expert specifically said she knows that the Stoeckli master team that used to work with Maze is now working with Stuhec hence her sudden upgrade in results in 2016. Without it, she'd be a regular Top 15 performer but never a runaway DH standings winner and world champion.

Val Gardena was a new track for women, nobody had any past experience here hence the technical aspects have been more important and the richest team could work their way around the obstacle. It's not about Veith; Puchner, Ager and Siebenhofer getting their best results of the season says more about the reality esp. that Veith actually criticized the track and due to her rather small frame she was never a gliding expert to begin with. Plus she made one big error in the DH.

46 minutes ago, Gigs said:

Nice post but if you see Stuhec 2016-17 season you will see that she absolutely dominated speed events. Not occasional win or two but utter dominance. She was actually so good that she was contender for overall title up until the very end. By winning races 7 times. Plus many other podiums. Only in speed events. That was strange. I am not implying anything,just stunned to see that kind of dominance. Even Janica Kostelic wasnt that domminant in her prime. Comparing  Ilka with Tina Maze,well,Tina was very good when 22. Ilka was average skier until 26. And that is relativelly solid age just to explode like that. 

Yeah her 2016/17 season was pretty outstanding although still not quite hirscher or shiffrin level. But that doesn't mean she has to be right back to that level again this year. Again one slope doesn't tell you that much. And about kostelic, I'd say she was definitely better in her prime than stuhec in 17