website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Weather Thread

heywoodu

1 hour ago, bestmen said:

the Hurrican Dorian is hiting Puerto rico ,Florida the next

Reason #1,000,001 not to live in Florida. Sorry @dezbee2008

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 28/08/2019 at 16:37, Olympian1010 said:

Reason #1,000,001 not to live in Florida. Sorry @dezbee2008

Thing is, that thing will be a Cat 4 when it gets here (somewhere because even the best meteorologists in the business can't pinpoint its landfall) but I'm ready for the worst of it

1 hour ago, dezbee2008 said:

Thing is, that thing will be a Cat 4 when it gets here (somewhere because even the best meteorologists in the business can't pinpoint its landfall) but I'm ready for the worst of it

Well I hope you and your family stay safe. Make good decisions and prepare ahead of time.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 hours ago, dezbee2008 said:

Meaning you're getting the hell out now that you still can?

Spoiler

Or at least are very, very, very well prepared in case leaving is really no option?

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 30/08/2019 at 08:44, heywoodu said:

Hide contents

Or at least are very, very, very well prepared in case leaving is really no option?

That seems less likely now with Dorian's tracking going more and more east, but because I live in a coastal county, it's gonna be a long waiting game to see what effects we'll have when it does come by

And we just bought a new grill the other day, so we'll be good

On 30/08/2019 at 05:44, heywoodu said:

Reveal hidden contents

The US is better prepared for natural disasters than most nations. It’s probably the one good thing we’ve accomplished in the last two decades. I mean California laughed off a major earthquake this year. I almost never worry about natural issues. I’m more likely to die from gunfire, drug overdoses, in a car crash, or some the systemic issues of homelessness.

10 minutes ago, dezbee2008 said:

That seems less likely now with Dorian's tracking going more and more east, but because I live in a coastal county, it's gonna be a long waiting game to see what effects we'll have when it does come by

And we just bought a new grill the other day, so we'll be good

Well I'm hoping staying is the right choice for you...personally I'd at least have my most valuable stuff (as in, irreplaceable) packed in the car in watertight stuff or something, ready to go as soon as the forecast takes a somewhat negative turn.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And once again models have made a bit of a shift. I hope everyone in Florida who is able to evacuate has made the right decision and either evacuated or is about to leave, this thing is gonna hit hard and nobody even knows yet where that'll be. Staying is the equivalent of putting yourself (and others, such as rescuers later on) in danger..

It's always sad and scary to realize that, of all people there right now, some of them won't be alive anymore within a few days because of this big thing that's on the way.

Just now, heywoodu said:

And once again models have made a bit of a shift. I hope everyone in Florida who is able to evacuate has made the right decision and either evacuated or is about to leave, this thing is gonna hit hard and nobody even knows yet where that'll be. Staying is the equivalent of putting yourself (and others, such as rescuers later on) in danger..

It's always sad and scary to realize that, of all people there right now, some of them won't be alive anymore within a few days because of this big thing that's on the way.

Current models have it as a Cat 2 hitting South Carolina. Cat 2 may cause some mild damage and maybe some coastal flooding at best. The Bahamas are fucked though. I’m much more concerned about them.

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Current models have it as a Cat 2 hitting South Carolina. Cat 2 may cause some mild damage and maybe some coastal flooding at best. The Bahamas are fucked though. I’m much more concerned about them.

Current models have shifted to category 4 - nearly 5 - and potentially riding exactly up the entire coastline of Florida, except for the most southern part. And yeah, the (northern part of) the Bahamas is not where one wants to be now.

Spoiler

DhRfa0u.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by heywoodu