website statistics

Ice Hockey 2018 - 2019 Discussion Thread

phelps

5 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

2 penalty shots in the same play was in the game Lada vs. Chelmet in VHL in September. There were foul and the goalkeeper come in before 6th player got away.
Chelmet missed both chances but they won anyway.

wow, thanks. :yes

Have not noticed this. so whats are the chances something like this happened twice in a season. ? but the goalie jumping on the ice lol what a dumb move, they already had to face a penalty shot, so why offer them another scoring chance :crazy:

5 minutes ago, hckosice said:

wow, thanks. :yes

Have not noticed this. so whats are the chances something like this happened twice in a season. ? but the goalie jumping on the ice lol what a dumb move, they already had to face a penalty shot, so why offer them another scoring chance :crazy:

But the goalie stopped the puck and Chelmet didn't score. And he stopped both penalty shot... :mumble: 

It's interesting to see 3 penalty shots in the same play one day... :d

37 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

But the goalie stopped the puck and Chelmet didn't score. And he stopped both penalty shot... :mumble: 

It's interesting to see 3 penalty shots in the same play one day... :d

I mean, it was quite risky and not really the smartest move ever :d but the guy is lucky enough, he stopped the penalty shots so everything turned to be fine at the end :d

5 ore fa, hckosice ha scritto:

@phelps

Another bizarre stuff happened at the Junior World Championships last night in the :SUI vs :RUS match

For the first time in Ice Hockey history, a team received 2 penalty shots in the same play :d This in fact probably never happened anywhere before. no one in the stands understood what just happened :lol:

In the same attack Marc Lehmann was 2 times fouled by Dmitri Samorukov, as the foul occured on a attacking player in breakaway as the last man in front of opponents net and thus losing a clear chance to score Switzerland received a penalty shot, but since there were actually 2 fouls, they received 2 penalty shots, so 2 chances to scores. Something you´ll probably never see anywhere outside of the Basketball free throws I guess :d

the funny thing is that SUI missed both penalties then :lol:

EPIC

yeah, I saw the match on the Czech TV (delayed replay, not live, of course) and it was really funny, to say the least...

I must admit I've never seen anything like that (never read about the VHL episode earlier this year)...and I also never thought it was possible...

so, it's never too late to learn something new...:lol:

p.s. by the way, I also found this:

"According to the official IIHF rule guidebook, here is how referees are instructed to handle two (or more) penalty shots awarded on the same play:

“If the referee signals a penalty shot, and before the play is whistled because of a goal or to call the penalty shot another foul is assessed to the same team, the additional penalty will be assessed regardless if the skater scores on either the play or the subsequent penalty shot.” — IIHF Rule 1164 (iv) [IIHF.com]

Should two penalty shots be awarded to the same team at the same stoppage of play (for two separate fouls), only one goal can be scored. Should the first penalty shot result in a goal, the second penalty shot is automatically cancelled, but the appropriate penalty is assessed for the second infraction. If the first shot is unsuccessful, the second shot is taken. The order of the penalty shots will be decided by the order of the infractions during game action.” — IIHF Rule 1169 (vi) [IIHF.com]

Essentially, because Lehmann was fouled by Samorukov but still maintained possession of the puck, play was allowed to continue. Samorukov taking Lehmann down a second time, on the same play, warranted a second penalty shot — but Switzerland would only have one goal count, regardless.

It didn’t really matter, because Switzerland didn’t score on either penalty shot."

p.s. @Dmitry thanks for the info about the previous "double penalty shot" episode...:yes

p.p.s. personally, I think it's a very weird rule...imho, they should go with a penalty shot for the first infraction and then 2-min penalties for every subsequent foul...

2 shots (of which only 1 would count anyway) are just senseless to me...

Edited by phelps

11 hours ago, phelps said:

yeah, I saw the match on the Czech TV (delayed replay, not live, of course) and it was really funny, to say the least...

I must admit I've never seen anything like that (never read about the VHL episode earlier this year)...and I also never thought it was possible...

so, it's never too late to learn something new...:lol:

p.s. by the way, I also found this:

"According to the official IIHF rule guidebook, here is how referees are instructed to handle two (or more) penalty shots awarded on the same play:

“If the referee signals a penalty shot, and before the play is whistled because of a goal or to call the penalty shot another foul is assessed to the same team, the additional penalty will be assessed regardless if the skater scores on either the play or the subsequent penalty shot.” — IIHF Rule 1164 (iv) [IIHF.com]

Should two penalty shots be awarded to the same team at the same stoppage of play (for two separate fouls), only one goal can be scored. Should the first penalty shot result in a goal, the second penalty shot is automatically cancelled, but the appropriate penalty is assessed for the second infraction. If the first shot is unsuccessful, the second shot is taken. The order of the penalty shots will be decided by the order of the infractions during game action.” — IIHF Rule 1169 (vi) [IIHF.com]

Essentially, because Lehmann was fouled by Samorukov but still maintained possession of the puck, play was allowed to continue. Samorukov taking Lehmann down a second time, on the same play, warranted a second penalty shot — but Switzerland would only have one goal count, regardless.

It didn’t really matter, because Switzerland didn’t score on either penalty shot."

p.s. @Dmitry thanks for the info about the previous "double penalty shot" episode...:yes

p.p.s. personally, I think it's a very weird rule...imho, they should go with a penalty shot for the first infraction and then 2-min penalties for every subsequent foul...

2 shots (of which only 1 would count anyway) are just senseless to me...

Aaah ok ! thanks.

I never heard (nor imagined that eventuality) about such rule before, so thanks for explaining. so basically you can have 2 or more penalty shots at the same play, but if you score one of them the next ones are cancelled becoming normal power plays. :yes

13 minutes ago, intoronto said:

If the IIHF wants it and has the support of Canada/USA it will happen. Especially since if they smaller ice helps in bringing the NHL to Beijing. 

I do not trust Fasel in anything lately, he is going to retire, so this was just another of his empty speaches, really, there no way for that to happen, maybe the Olympic tournament in Beijing can be played on N-A sized rinks, but certainly not the other major events held in Europe. European federations will never agree with that.