website statistics

Ice Hockey 2018 - 2019 Discussion Thread

phelps

EURO HOCKEY TOUR FINAL STAGE

Saturday 04.05.2019 - Results

EURO HOCKEY TOUR

(STAGE 4/4 - CARLSON HOCKEY GAMES in Brno :CZE (GMT +2)) - 4 Nations Round-Robin Tournament

Day 3

14:00  Russia - Finland   1-3

18:00  Czech Republic - Sweden   3-0

Provisional Standing After Day 3: 1. FIN 6, 2. CZE 3, 3. SWE 3, 4. RUS 0

EURO HOCKEY TOUR 2018/19 Cumulative Standing after Games 11/12: 1. RUS 19, 2. FIN 19, 3. CZE 14, 4. SWE 14

Sunday 05.05.2019 - SCHEDULE

EURO HOCKEY TOUR

(STAGE 4/4 - CARLSON HOCKEY GAMES in Brno :CZE (GMT +2)) - 4 Nations Round-Robin Tournament

Last Day

14:00  Sweden - Finland

18:00  Czech Republic - Russia

EURO HOCKEY TOUR 2018/19 Cumulative Standing after Games 11/12: 1. RUS 19, 2. FIN 19, 3. CZE 14, 4. SWE 14

:FIN Finnish Liiga

HPK Hämeenlinna win surprising title :champion::cheer::hatoff:

the unexpected finally happened.

Kärpät Oulu were 3-2 ahead in the series and had the home ice advantage in the 7th and decisive game.

But in the end it's not been enough.

HPK fought hard and slowly but steadily came back: first, they won game #6 at home, then they made their final masterpiece.

They went to Oulu to play the Championship Game firmly believing that they could upset the heavily favourite hosts. And despite the opening goal scored by Jasper Lidsten (in power-play) for Kärpät after only 7 minutes and 41 seconds of play, they didn't stop fighting and playing their game.

The prize for them came at 34.16, when Arto Laatikainen tied the game, 1-1.

Then both teams started to feel the pressure, well knowing that givin'up a goal late in the game could prove impossible to make up.

The obvious consequence was the match going to OT.

Game #7 going to OT!!! what (neutral) fans could ask for more than that?

OT...the perfect time for miracles to happen...and once again a miracle happened...totally against the flow of the game, at 75.24, Markus Nenonen scored the Championship winning goal for HPK.

It's the second Liiga trophy for HPK.

Game #7 Final Score: Kärpät Oulu, 1 vs HPK Hämeenlinna, 2 @ OT (1-0, 0-1, 0-0, 0-1)

Final Series Recap

HPK Hämeenlinna b. Kärpät Oulu  4-3 (1-4; 3-1; 3-0; 2-4; 0-2; 1-0; 2-1OT)

game #7 highlights

11 hours ago, Finnator123 said:

@phelps ,  there was also a controversial call made in OT, that led to the golden goal by Nenonen. Heponiemi basically got 2+2 because one HPK player apparently hit one of his teammates. At least Kärpät fans are saying like this

thanks...:yes

unfortunately, as I wrote a few days ago, I can only watch the highlights posted on YT (not even those on the Liiga's official website)...

and reading Finnish language is not exactly easy for me (google translation...well, it's more a joke than something useful :facepalm:), so also the press articles are a limited source...

I'd really like to be able to watch more Liiga's videos, but outside Finland is almost impossible :nopompom::wall: (I must confess that I tried to subscribe the Liiga Pass on Telia's website, but they ask for verification of credentials by bank account -and of course I don't have one in Finland- or by mobile phone, which could save my day, but they only send the verification message to Finnish numbers :cry: which leaves me out of chances...maybe one day I'm gonna make a trip to Finland only to watch a few games live and subscribe to the Liiga Pass directly on site :rofl:)...

p.s. however, it really looks that HPK's players did it all by themselves in the action you described above...;)

If I were a Kärpät fan, I wouldn't be so happy about the ref's call and about the bitter end of the season...:whistle::hairpull:

Edited by phelps

Sunday 05.05.2019 - RESULTS

EURO HOCKEY TOUR

Last Day

14:00  Sweden - Finland   2-1

18:00  Czech Republic - Russia   1-4

Final Standing:

1. SWE 6, 2. FIN 6, 3. RUS 3, 4. CZE 3

EURO HOCKEY TOUR 2018/19 Final Standing:

1. :RUS Russia  22 points

2. :FIN Finland 19 points

3. :SWE Sweden 17 points

4. :CZE Czech Republic 14 points

• 3 weeks later...

Tournaments for 2020 assigned

The 2019 IIHF Annual Congress has assigned the tournaments of the 2020 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship program for the upcoming season.

Three of the biggest tournaments have already been announced earlier. The 2020 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship will take place in Zurich and Lausanne, Switzerland; the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship will be hosted by Ostrava & Trinec in the Czech Republic; and Canada will host the 2020 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship in Halifax and Truro in the eastern province of Nova Scotia.

Another top-level event got its host today. The United States will host the 2020 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship outside of Detroit at the at the 3,800-seat USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth and at the smaller Ann Arbor Ice Cube in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The group and game allocation as well as the game schedule will be stablished latest for the Semi-Annual Congress in September.

The decision for the 2020 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 Women's World Championship was deferred to the Semi-Annual Congress in late September.

Among the biggest venues to be chosen were the ones hosting the Division I tournament’s in the men’s senior category.

Slovenia will host the 2020 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A at the multifunctional Arena Stozice in its capital of Ljubljana from 24 to 30 April 2020. The arena was first time used for ice hockey for the very same event in 2012 when up to 10,500 fans filled the arena and saw Slovenia earn promotion to the top division. The other applicant Romania withdrew its bid because the construction of the new arena in Bucharest was stopped recently and it’s not sure whether it would be ready in time.

France, Austria, Korea, Slovenia, Hungary and Romania will play at the event and battle for promotion to the top level for the 2021 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in Minsk (Belarus) and Riga (Latvia).

One tier below the Polish city of Katowice will host the 2020 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group B in the historical Spodek arena that successfully hosted the 2016 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A with up to 8,500 fans at the venue. It is best known in hockey history for hosting the top-level 1976 Worlds where Poland as a host scored one of the biggest upsets in hockey history by beating the Soviet Union 6-4.

Another former World Championship arena to be used is the Chizhovka Arena in Minsk, Belarus, that will host the U20 World Championship Division I Group A from 8 to 14 December 2019. It will be used as a test for the Belarusian organizers before co-hosting the 2021 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship with Riga.

A record of 54 teams will participate in the men’s senior category with Malaysia and the Philippines joining and 40 teams will play in the women’s senior category with the first-time participation of Lithuania. That also means that new divisions and/or groups are planned to be created including a Division IV in the men’s senior category pending formal approval by the delegates in the IIHF Statutes & Bylaws later during Congress.

The full list of events for the 2020/2021 season will be published on IIHF.com soon.

IIHF.COM

:SVK (Piešťany) will host the next years Men´s U18 Division I Group A Tournament.

The participating teams for the round-robin Slovakia, Denmark, Norway, Kazakhstan, Japan and France

The same happened in 2012 when our U18 was relegated for the first time in 2011, we hosted it in 2012 in Piešťany and the team around Martin Réway and Marko Daňo fully used the home advantage winning all 5 matches against :NOR:FRA:ITA:JPN and  :SLO with total score of 30:6 and promoted up our U18 back to the elite, where it stayed until this year  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_IIHF_World_U18_Championship_Division_I...so hopefully the history will be repeated next April

Even if it was really embarassing to play this division, at least we established the new attendace record for a U18 Division I record that year, a record that will hardly be ever beaten

2019 Class IIHF Hall of Fame

From left: Victor Alexandrov (son of Boris Alexandrov RIP) :KAZ , Miroslav Šatan :SVK , Jorgen Jonsson :SWE , the Richard "Bibi" Torriani award honouring  outstanding players from lesser-known hockey nations given to Konstantin Mihaylov :BUL , Hayley Wickenheiser :CAN and Žigmund Pálffy :SVK  + in memoriam the Paul Loicq award for for exceptional service to international hockey  given to Jim Johansson RIP :USA  

D7fUtQGW0AAWN2e.jpg:large

and it´s official. Slovan Bratislava abandoned the KHL and will return to the Slovak Extraliga already from the upcoming new season 2019/20.

The last time Slovan played the extraliga was 2011/12 with winning title that year, the next 7 seasons they played the KHL (2 times they managed to qualify for the Play-Offs)