website statistics

Biathlon 2018 - 2019 Discussion Thread

Xander

4 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Who is up for this in the 2019/2020 IBU cup season?  That would be a ton of fun!  Now, I am not being serious, but I do like this rule for a couple of reasons, it does not put a barrier on new nations from competing.  

Absolutely, and it keeps giving athletes from small nations some incentive to keep on competing because the federations get money per starting athlete :p Which then goes to the athletes (like Croatia, at least partially) or not (hello Brazil), but anyway it can offer some kind of help (if a national federation would use it wisely).

IBU Cups are fun though :d No huge masses of people you have to push your way through*, quite a 'familiar' setting, pretty accessible and so on

*although in Arber it is busy enough to not be able to stand at the front when the races are going on and you arrive too late or are pacing back and forth

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Would say a Biathlon Federation of Catalonia be allowed?  If Greenland is, I would think that Catalonia would be allowed.

I’m setting up a USVI federation too:p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m setting up a USVI federation too:p

I will be the 2nd leg of the Men's relay.

On a more serious note, are the smaller nations who compete the germination of a particular athlete or a concerted effort from the nation?  Take Brazil by example.  Is that the athletes or the nation?  I have an idea, but I was wondering.

1 hour ago, RobtheAggie said:

On a more serious note, are the smaller nations who compete the germination of a particular athlete or a concerted effort from the nation?  Take Brazil by example.  Is that the athletes or the nation?  I have an idea, but I was wondering.

And @dezbee2008 can be the women’s leg of a relay. One only need one more person and we’re off to the IBU Cup

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, RobtheAggie said:

Brazil is a 'nation'/federation. I mean, it all started 15 years ago or something with Leandro Ribela and one or two other pioneers, who's names I'm not sure about (possibly Helio Freitas was one of them).

Nowadays there's a big shift between the old and young generation: Leandro Lutz, Fabrizio Bourguignon among the men, Mika Picin for the women, although they're not all competing anymore this season. I think they more or less started independently, but then there's the young generation: Bruna Moura, Gabriela Neres, Lucas Martins, Victor Santos, Caio Moreira (retired since a few years already to focus on personal stuff, I was sad to see him go but am happy to see he's happy and very well), all of whom started with cross-country and biathlon more or less via Leandro Ribela's social project Ski na Rua. There's also Matheus Vasconcellos in the Junior Cup, probably the Brazilian with the most potential, but he mostly grew up in Austria (speaks fluent Austrian-German with a thick local accent) and doesn't have that much to do with the project and all. 

On the other hand, in Greenland it's all Slettemark :p  Australia is a whole different story that probably would require more reading material than the entire Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit universe, so not gonna get into that :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

47 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

And @dezbee2008 can be the women’s leg of a relay. One only need one more person and we’re off to the IBU Cup

For the single mixed you only need one guy though :d 

Nastya what a noble gesture and sacrifice for Slovak biathlon !

Even if she will finish her individual career next weekend in Oslo. She will apparently continue one more year but only in relays in order to help our biathlon to make sure and field relays at major events, while in meantime our biathlon federation will continue to search a 4th girl !!! :hyper:

she said it to our National TV

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

For a long term bet contest:

Biathlon

1- Excluding relays, A. Kuzmina will start in at least one race during season 2019/20 (World Cup + WCH) [YES - 10]

Well, sure there nothing 100% certain in this world, but in this matter it doesn´t look like a smart bet :d even in this video she clearly expressed no more individual starts, "maybe-likely" only in the W relays. (and even there I´m pretty sure not in all of them)