website statistics

Biathlon 2018 - 2019 Discussion Thread

Xander

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Her father competed for Denmark at the Olympics already. Greenland is Denmark's dependent territory. Likewise people from Faroe Islands would compete for Denmark at the Olympics as well. Or people from Macau for China.

Maybe it in some way makes Ukaleq eligible to compete for her father's birth country :evil: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Would the IBU still allow her to compete for Greenland, but the IOC for Denmark?  

My paternal Great grandfather is Danish, Jensen, so can I ski for Denmark?  :d

There is no Greenland Olympic Committee so she has no choice ;)  But there is a Greenland Biathlon Federation (of which her mother is President :p ) which is based in Norway.  https://www.biathlonworld.com/about-ibu/member-federations/

It's the same why England, Scotland or Wales don't compete as independent nations at the Olympics.

If you applied for a Danish citizenship I bet you'd be allowed to compete at the Olympics :yes

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

There is no Greenland Olympic Committee so she has no choice ;)  But there is a Greenland Biathlon Federation (of which her mother is President :p ) which is based in Norway.  https://www.biathlonworld.com/about-ibu/member-federations/

It's the same why England, Scotland or Wales don't compete as independent nations at the Olympics.

If you applied for a Danish citizenship I bet you'd be allowed to compete at the Olympics :yes

And, you know, qualify :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, that's the other part ;) 

But Uiloq Slettemark only competed into her 50s to get the nation's quota for her daughter so I guess Ukaleq can start at IBU Cup level now? How those points work out exactly?

First point: Ukaleq - like anyone else as long as it's not more than X per nation - can start in the IBU Cup whenever she wants. To be able to start in the next trimester, she needs to get under 250 points at least once (shouldn't be a problem for her). If she somehow doesn't manage to get that, she has to skip a trimester and wait for the next one.

Nation quota don't mean too much for the IBU Cup in terms of being able to start, I believe it's more a matter of getting some extra money if you have a certain rank. If you and I were to defect to Bhutan, start the Bhutanese Biathlon Federation and show that we're capable of safely handling a rifle, we would be welcome and allowed to represent our new nation of Bhutan in the IBU Cup even if we're lightyears behind, at least for one trimester.

39 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

First point: Ukaleq - like anyone else as long as it's not more than X per nation - can start in the IBU Cup whenever she wants. To be able to start in the next trimester, she needs to get under 250 points at least once (shouldn't be a problem for her). If she somehow doesn't manage to get that, she has to skip a trimester and wait for the next one.

Nation quota don't mean too much for the IBU Cup in terms of being able to start, I believe it's more a matter of getting some extra money if you have a certain rank. If you and I were to defect to Bhutan, start the Bhutanese Biathlon Federation and show that we're capable of safely handling a rifle, we would be welcome and allowed to represent our new nation of Bhutan in the IBU Cup even if we're lightyears behind, at least for one trimester.

My impression was that Ukaleq can use the points accumulated by her mother going forward even if she has no competition in her country. There are some entries based on nation's points like they have in alpine skiing? That's more or less how the extra six entries for Olympics in 2018 worked for teams outside Top 18(?) in the Nation's Cup (where like Japan took three of them on the men's side). So I wonder if this is to help Ukaleq have an easier path for the 2022 Olympics?

Edited by Monzanator

I'm not sure about all the qualifying rules and quotas and stuff for Olympics/World Cups, I just know that for the IBU Cup there's really not much of a restriction as long as you represent a national federation and can handle a rifle safely :p 

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Who is up for this in the 2019/2020 IBU cup season?  That would be a ton of fun!  Now, I am not being serious, but I do like this rule for a couple of reasons, it does not put a barrier on new nations from competing.