website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2018 - 2019 Discussion Thread

crovitlaci

That's really sad. Goggia is always so exciting to watch and in case of top shape Vonn it's always good to have someone around who can challenge her. Usually it would also be sad because one would expect a skier like her to have a shot on the overall world cup but then again Shiffrin will probably have that one pretty much secured come January anyway. 

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Completely missed that a few weeks ago, but Melanie Meillard is already out for the entire season :cry:

Her knee injury from right before the Olympics hasn't recovered well and she has to get a new surgery (which by now maybe she had).

There’s at YOG participant that has amazing potential 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 3 weeks later...

24-year old Gian Luca Barandun of Switzerland (9th in the Bormio combined and 15th in the Wengen downhill last season) has died in a paragliding accident.

https://www.blick.ch/sport/ski/drama-beim-gleitschirmfliegen-schweizer-ski-talent-barandun-24-toedlich-verunglueckt-id9070204.html

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

Johanna Schnarf's season is already over.  Yesterday, during a training at Copper Mountain, Schnarf fell, resulting in a displaced fracture of the tibia and fibula of her left leg. 

She has already been operated, but  unfortunately her season is over. :(

From the 2020/2021 season, Solden will host a World Cup parallel Slalom races, including team event, the races will be scheduled always one week after the traditional opening of the World Cup at the end of October in the same Austrian venue.

FIS also informed that this February will be defiitely decided the future of the Alpine Combined during the February´s Council meeting, it is very probable that the event will be replaced by parallel slaloms already for the next World Championships and subsequently for the next WOG.

2 minutes ago, hckosice said:

From the 2020/2021 season, Solden will host a World Cup parallel Slalom races, including team event, the races will be scheduled always one week after the traditional opening of the World Cup at the end of October in the same Austrian venue.

FIS also informed that this February will be defiitely decided the future of the Alpine Combined during the February´s Council meeting, it is very probable that the event will be replaced by parallel slaloms already for the next World Championships and subsequently for the next WOG.

Well that's quite a rollercoaster read: first it's awesome to have a competition between Sölden and Levi so we don't have to wait 700 weeks for World Cup 2, but the rest...meh. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well that's quite a rollercoaster read: first it's awesome to have a competition between Sölden and Levi so we don't have to wait 700 weeks for World Cup 2, but the rest...meh. 

I honestly don´t see anything good in either part :p Mixed team event is meh, to have it now twice per season at world cup is double meh...but the removal of the Combined is even bigger meh...

Just now, hckosice said:

I honestly don´t see anything good in either part :p Mixed team event is meh, to have it now twice per season at world cup is double meh...but the removal of the Combined is even bigger meh...

Well I would prefer a normal race between Sölden and Levi, but anything is better than nothing in this case because I really hate that eternal wait after the first World Cup :mad:

Spoiler

Yeah I know I'm often campaigning for World Cups in South America or Australia and yeah I know the wait is gonna be quite a bit longer then :d 

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Obvious solution: remove Solden altogether (it gets cancelled half the time anyway). :p

#banbestmen