website statistics

Women's Field Hockey FIH Hockey Series 2018 - 2019

NaBUru38

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit to look in the future - Poland's women team will participate in one of the finals - two Polish newspapers wrote about their expected start in Februay 2019 in "II round of World League". As you can see, this sport is not very popular in Poland, even journalist from the most hockey powerful region don't know a lot about international competitions ;)

• 4 months later...

Draw for the final round was done. (Still two teams from Africa TBD).

Host of each tournament is the first flag. Top two in each will advance to olympic qualification play-offs (don't ask me what are Japan and Scotland/Wales doing here...).

Tournament 1 :IRL:KOR:SCO:CZE:FRA:MAS:UKR + 1 TBD 

Tournament 2 :JPN:IND:POL:CHI:FIJ:MEX:RUS:URU 

Tournament 3 :ESP:ITA:RSA:BLR:CAN:THA:WAL  + 1 TBD 

13 hours ago, LDOG said:

Draw for the final round was done. (Still two teams from Africa TBD).

Host of each tournament is the first flag. Top two in each will advance to olympic qualification play-offs (don't ask me what are Japan and Scotland/Wales doing here...).

Tournament 1 :IRL:KOR:SCO:CZE:FRA:MAS:UKR + 1 TBD 

Tournament 2 :JPN:IND:POL:CHI:FIJ:MEX:RUS:URU 

Tournament 3 :ESP:ITA:RSA:BLR:CAN:THA:WAL  + 1 TBD 

Japan/Scotland and Wales are there because this is not just Olympic qualification tournament but a standalone league which will be used for Olympic qualification. Same way other continental champions will still take part in the Hockey Pro League. 

• 7 months later...

Ireland and Korea have qualified from tournament 1 to olympic play-offs (as expected).

Tournament 2 started today in Hiroshima. Japan and India are favorites but Chile is really close to their level and could sneak in that top 2. Remember Japan making top 2 won't automatically qualify the 3rd place here, the quota will go to World ranking.

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

Ireland and Korea have qualified from tournament 1 to olympic play-offs (as expected).

Tournament 2 started today in Hiroshima. Japan and India are favorites but Chile is really close to their level and could sneak in that top 2. Remember Japan making top 2 won't automatically qualify the 3rd place here, the quota will go to World ranking.

Do you have any idea of the sort of quality of opponent Ireland might have in the play-off? I wouldn't be overly optimistic of our chances, well I would be cautious maybe is a better way of saying it.

hace 14 minutos, OlympicIRL dijo:

Do you have any idea of the sort of quality of opponent Ireland might have in the play-off? I wouldn't be overly optimistic of our chances, well I would be cautious maybe is a better way of saying it.

Very likely one of the following: 

-either Korea or China (whoever is ranked lower by that date)

-USA

-Belgium

-South Africa or Chile (whoever is ranked higher by that date, I'm assuming RSA will reject continental quota though )

I would say that out of these the only team I'd favor against Ireland is Belgium.

Something important I found out recently: it won't be a home and away play-off, it will two leg play-off in which the highest ranked team hosts twice. Which means Ireland will be hosting both games.

Edited by LDOG

Thanks for the info, and hopefully the home advantage will get us over the line.

China beat us on penalties 4 years ago to go to the Olympics. Would be funny if they were drawn against each other again.

I think Belgium would beat Ireland and the USA used to always beat us until recently when we turned the tables. Not sure I’d want them as the opposition either even if they are probably weaker now.

Edited by OlympicIRL

What is point that Japanese team is playing this tournament? As in men's qualifers we are playing against them in playoffs and once again we are not favourites, last time when we had mens team in Olympics were in Sydney and women's team probably in Moscow...