website statistics

Men's Field Hockey FIH Hockey Series 2018 - 2019

NaBUru38

• 2 weeks later...

First Event of World Hockey Series starts today in Salamanca, Mexico.

It features 5 teams in both men's and women's competition, with Canada being favorite in the first and USA in the second one to advance to the next round. The only "contender" in both tournaments will be the host teams, although they will need some luck to join their rivals in the next stage.

Personally, I would be happy if Mexican squads manage to concede 4 or less goals against the favorites and destroy the remaining opponents by at least that margin, in order for them to have some chance to qualify to 2019 Pan American Games.

For those interested here's livestream of the tournament.

2 hours ago, NaBUru38 said:

I don't think that Mexico can beat either Canada or the United States in either men's or women's tournament.

Of course no one is expecting that... my best scenario was Mexican teams avoiding a total disaster... btw women's game against Canada is on the second quarter and already the locals are losing 4-0 :cry:

Livestream if anyone is interested

And incredibly, Mexico men's team managed to tie with USA 5-5 :clap:... it was a really intense game, which ended with a downpour included.

It will all come to goal difference, with Mexico having a two goal advantage.

15 hours ago, Vojthas said:

@mrv86 Do you know, how many teams qualifies to the Finals from the Salamanca tournament?

If I understood correctly, only the winners gained direct qualification: those are :CAN in women and :USA in men.

Mexican teams having finished in second will have to wait until all other tournaments finish to be completed and see if their ranking is enough to advance to next round.

Correction @Vojthas, it seems the first two were given spots, after I found this article today.

Edited by mrv86

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Draw for the final round was done. Still 3 teams (two from Africa and one from Asia TBD).

Host of each tournament is the first flag. Top two in each will advance to olympic qualification play-offs (don't ask me what are Japan and Scotland/Wales doing here...).

Tournament 1 :MAS:CAN:CHN:AUT:BRA:ITA:VAN:WAL 

Tournament 2 :IND:JPN:RSA:MEX:POL:RUS:USA + 1 team TBD

Tournament 3 :FRA:IRL:KOR:CHI:SGP:SCO + 2 TBD