website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics LEN European Championships 2018

Totallympics

Women’s champion Van Rouwendaal also had her own dramas after forgetting her swimming costume, having to swim naked beneath her wetsuit and then having an awkward conversation with a steward.

Her biggest problem came when she realised she had turned up at Loch Lomond without the costume she usually wears beneath her wetsuit. “(Afterwards) the steward said, ‘You have to change here’. And I said, ‘Well, I’m naked under it so I don’t think so’,” Van Rouwendaal laughed.

“Now you will see next year everyone going naked! But if you have a hole in the wetsuit during the race, it’s a problem.”

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Dunadan:

Italy at the swimming European Championships (not including open water):

- 2018: 22 medals, 6 gold, 2 x CR

- 2016: 17 medals, 5 gold, 3 x CR, 1 ER

- 2014: 15 medals, 5 gold, 3 x CR, 2 x ER

- 2012: 18 medals, 6 gold (and there were no mixed relays).

A nice improvement, but I don't see any huge outlier.

off topic

Inhalt unsichtbar machen

For people saying that the Italian women's track cycling development is suspicious, I suggest you to follow some junior competitions, these are girls who dominated for years with huge performances. I bet that in the next few years OlympicsFan will complain a lot about Italian gymnastics :cry:

1) So you are saying if juniors show huge improvements it cant be suspicious? I know very well of all the junior results, it doesnt make it any less suspicious.

2) The chance of italian gymnasts doing anything remotely close to what italian swimmers did is way below 1% (i talked about the italian junior results about a week ago by the way, maybe you should check the gymnastics thread from time to time)

3) Of course it doesnt help that so many italian coaches/managers are involved in african athletics. Like i said before, this is sadly very similar to 2000 when a cheat like Rosolino was at his peak.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb phelps:

14.55 - 14.36 = 19...sorry for not being so precise to count also the hundreds of a second...c'mon! be serious...

about my thoughts on Van Rouwendaal...you're just writing false things...so, once again you're totally off target...

and p.s. I repeat you should learn what sense of humor is (and try to use a big amount of that in your life, before you get mad for nothing)...if you don't understand the joke that was running between me and @heywoodu on the Dutch great success in the European Championships overall, then don't try to be part of that same joke...:whistle:

well, at this point our "virtual" relationship on this forum is over right now...:evil::redcard:

Yeah, great argument, whenever someone calls you out, just say that it was a joke. I think its pretty clear what you implied about Van Rouwendaal.

Italians defending their own swimmers is (sadly) normal, as is many other swimming fans having huge question marks (considering that italy just won about 30 medals in swimming). I cant prove that they are dirty, you cant prove that they are clean, but it would have been a first step to tell me when the last time was that a nation had so many swimmers swim a PB at the same major competition, sadly you didnt want to do that. I hope that FINA or WADA will act quickly, but knowing those federations, i dont think that italian fans have anything to worry about. The only positive thing about all this is that it will be fun to see Pellegrini break the 200 m free world record as a 40 year old in Tokyo.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

20 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) So you are saying if juniors show huge improvements it cant be suspicious? I know very well of all the junior results, it doesnt make it any less suspicious.

2) The chance of italian gymnasts doing anything remotely close to what italian swimmers did is way below 1% (i talked about the italian junior results about a week ago by the way, maybe you should check the gymnastics thread from time to time)

3) Of course it doesnt help that so many italian coaches/managers are involved in african athletics. Like i said before, this is sadly very similar to 2000 when a cheat like Rosolino was at his peak.

1) I don't agree

2) I don't agree, at least at european level gymnastics 2020-2024 can be similar to swimming in 2014-18

3) you are right, as you said "the Italian government will do anything to get results because they are desperate to show that Italy is relevant" (I wanted to quote your exact words but some moderator apparently edited it and removed that part in your previous post). But it's not doping, the technology here is much more advanced. 2 months ago the new government ordered a team of scientists to create genetically engineered clones who will replace Italian athletes. Codia was the first one. I know for sure that Tortu 2.0 is ready, he can easily run 100m in 9.50s. The goal to win the medal count in Tokyo and, as you said, "bring glory to the country". The scientists are obviously underpaid, so there's still hope for other countries to hire them and catch up with this new program. 

5 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

But it's not doping, the technology here is much more advanced. 2 months ago the new government ordered a team of scientists to create genetically engineered clones who will replace Italian athletes. Codia was the first one. I know for sure that Tortu 2.0 is ready, he can easily run 100m in 9.50s. 

I don't know but this sounds a little fishy.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Dunadan:

1) I don't agree

2) I don't agree, at least at european level gymnastics 2020-2024 can be similar to swimming in 2014-18

3) you are right, as you said "the Italian government will do anything to get results because they are desperate to show that Italy is relevant" (I wanted to quote your exact words but some moderator apparently edited it and removed that part in your previous post). But it's not doping, the technology here is much more advanced. 2 months ago the new government ordered a team of scientists to create genetically engineered clones who will replace Italian athletes. Codia was the first one. I know for sure that Tortu 2.0 is ready, he can easily run 100m in 9.50s. The goal to win the medal count in Tokyo and, as you said, "bring glory to the country". The scientists are obviously underpaid, so there's still hope for other countries to hire them and catch up with this new program. 

2) On a european level its possible, but that doesnt mean much on world level. The italian girls might be talented, but its highly doubtful whether they will ever come close to the level of the american girls.

3) Sadly all of this would seem possible for me considering its Italy, but italian scientist arent good enough to do something like this. Italy hasnt won a nobel prize in a decade and only 2 in this century.