website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, LDOG said:

First, I didn't participe in this one or in the Pyeongchang one. So I'm not "crying" because I had no dog in this. I'm just trying to help figure out a system that makes the biggest number of bets count, because that way the contest is more entertaining in my very personal opinion (though I think most users will agree with me on that point). I don't care if you or Dunadan win them from here to the end of time, that is not the issue. You are not the only two trying that strategy anyway. 

Second, I organized 2 of them. So I saw everyone's posts back then and of course I know what you've been doing. Also, because you've been very outspoken about your strategy since day 1. Not exactly a secret.

Of course i have been very outspoken about it and thats why other people adopted it. I want other people to use this strategy, because i feel like i dont even have to try and still win and that gets kinda boring, which is sad because i prefer this kind of prediction contest over the normal prediction contests.

If i only would have answered the 16 questions (out of 56 questions in total) i gave 10 points to, then i would have ended up with 140 points, which would have been enough for 2nd place (3 points behind the winner). I know that i dont even have to bother to think about the correct answer for all those questions i want to give 1 point to (40 out 56 questions = 71 %), because i will probably still win without even getting one of them right.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2019Contest5.png

Prediction Contests Are Just-For-Fun Games

You don't need to be an expert to take part in a Prediction Contest. 

If a mistake penalizes you, always keep in mind that everyone is in good faith.

Biathlon IBU World Championships 2019 Prediction Contest is now OPEN

Good luck!

What I'm reading in the thread is that many want a change to the current system of the Bet Contest.

Personally, I like Dunadan's suggestion:

20 hours ago, Dunadan said:

I would keep the current points system but fix the number of 10,9,8,...2,1 points bets that each user has to place.

For example if there are 50 questions each user would have to place five 1-point bets, five 2-points bets,...., five 9-points bets and five 10-points bets.

If there are 60 questions each user would have to place six 1-point bets, six 2-points bets and so on.

Additionally, I have thought about rewarding points for the amount of bets guessed correctly.  1 correct bet will reward x points. This way I think more users will be more thorough with their answers because every bet counts. 

But I want to hear your opinions about this?

Edited by wumo26