website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

2018Contest4.png

Ice Hockey at the Winter Olympic Games 2018 Prediction Contest is now OPEN

Scoring system is slightly modified - 7 points for correct winner and 5 points additionally for goal difference. 

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

2018Contest4.png

Ice Hockey at the Winter Olympic Games 2018 Prediction Contest is now OPEN

Scoring system is slightly modified - 7 points for correct winner and 5 points additionally for goal difference. 

Best of luck!

:thumbup:

IMPORTANT

The Prediction Contest for Australian Open 2018 has been cancelled.

First of all, huge apologies to the 16 users who spent their time in posting their predictions. This is my decision and I take full responsabilities, so don't blame @tuniscof for that.

My decision is based according to these 3 factors:

1) Too short notice: I wrote in this thread there would have not been an Australian Open Prediction Contest on January 7th, Wanderer confirmed it on January 10th, then tuniscof opened it on January 11th.

2) Draws: qualifications were delayed because of rain so they finished on Sunday instead of Saturday, and as some users wrote here there were some withdrawals which partially changed the draw. This would create a lot of unfair situations between users who posted their predictions with the "old" draws.

3) Focus on Winter Olympic Games Prediction Contests: Winter Olympic Games are few weeks away and Totallympics is going to organize several Prediction Contests during that period, so our focus should be on that and to guarantee results will be posted on time.

The small number of participants few hours before the start of the Australian Open is mainly because of the previous reasons.

Also, in general, I am against Tennis Prediction Contests because of the reasons Pablita pointed out. I suggest to make at most one tennis Prediction Contest per year, but this is a decision I leave to the organizers. I decided to intervene in this situation because of the urgency for a decision to be taken and the unavailability of tuniscof in the whole day.

Once again, apologies for the time users spent to post their predictions, hopefully this is the only time we have to cancel a Prediction Contest!

1 minute ago, dcro said:

I hope the bet contest will count for the general standings this time?

That one is pretty unique so for me it's a shame if it doesn't count.

Wanderer is working on 2018 Calendar so I guess he can answer your question ;)

vor 31 Minuten schrieb Sindo:

IMPORTANT

The Prediction Contest for Australian Open 2018 has been cancelled.

First of all, huge apologies to the 16 users who spent their time in posting their predictions. This is my decision and I take full responsabilities, so don't blame @tuniscof for that.

My decision is based according to these 3 factors:

1) Too short notice: I wrote in this thread there would have not been an Australian Open Prediction Contest on January 7th, Wanderer confirmed it on January 10th, then tuniscof opened it on January 11th.

2) Draws: qualifications were delayed because of rain so they finished on Sunday instead of Saturday, and as some users wrote here there were some withdrawals which partially changed the draw. This would create a lot of unfair situations between users who posted their predictions with the "old" draws.

3) Focus on Winter Olympic Games Prediction Contests: Winter Olympic Games are few weeks away and Totallympics is going to organize several Prediction Contests during that period, so our focus should be on that and to guarantee results will be posted on time.

The small number of participants few hours before the start of the Australian Open is mainly because of the previous reasons.

Also, in general, I am against Tennis Prediction Contests because of the reasons Pablita pointed out. I suggest to make at most one tennis Prediction Contest per year, but this is a decision I leave to the organizers. I decided to intervene in this situation because of the urgency for a decision to be taken and the unavailability of tuniscof in the whole day.

Once again, apologies for the time users spent to post their predictions, hopefully this is the only time we have to cancel a Prediction Contest!

I still dont get it ...

1) So not allowing anyone to predict the results is better than some people missing the contest because of the short notice? How?

2) I think everyone here who predicted saw that the draw wasnt completed, so everyone who still posted a prediction was well aware of that problem.

3) How exactly is this contest taking time away? Isnt tuniscof the one who manages it and therefore should decide whether he has enough time or not?

I am sorry, but i really hate this decision. Either you shouldnt have allowed it from the beginning (but again, why?) or you should have just stayed out of it. Many people invest quite some time and really looked forward to this. I think this problem has been adressed before, if you try to control everything, people will lose interest if they have no freedom to creat their own threads, contests and so on.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

9 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I still dont get it ...

1) So not allowing anyone to predict the results is better than some people missing the contest because of the short notice? How?

2) I think everyone here who predicted saw that the draw wasnt completed, so everyone who still posted a prediction was well aware of that problem.

3) How exactly is this contest taking time away? Isnt tuniscof the one who manages it and therefore should decide whether he has enough time or not?

I am sorry, but i really hate this decision. Either you shouldnt have allowed it from the beginning (but again, why?) or you should have just stayed out of it. Many people invest quite some time and really looked forward to this. I think this problem has been adressed before, if you try to control everything, people will lose interest if they have no freedom to creat their own threads, contests and so on.

Because there could be a general standing with every prediction contest counting for it, so yes, it would not be fair to have such a prediction contest as it was the Australian Open one.

3 hours before the event start the draw in the format template is wrong and tuniscof is not online since Friday at 2pm. This is not what I would call a fair contest.

There was a lot of freedom in the Prediction Contests section in the past (this is the first time I take a decision myself about that) and there will be in the future for sure, but I also want to avoid unfinished prediction contests to happen anymore.

As I said I apologize with the users who posted their predictions, but I needed to take a decision by myself (and I would have preferred I would have not to).

Thanks Sindo, I just lost interest about prediction contests by your unfair decision... Such decision like this for sure will not help to gain more people competing in the contests. Talking about number of user in the contest tell me how many more people compted in contests about World Champs in rhythmic gymnastics or Tour de France? Why these contests weren't cancelled? You said that we should focus on contests about Olympics, yes, I agree, but having contest about Australian Open will not be big obstacle, as for sure before end of Australian Open we still will not have full and official lists about competing athletes in Olympic Games.

Late withdrawals is just part of this sport, people which take part in tennis contests should know that such things can happen and be prepared to updated their predictions, even if they wouldn't be able to do it missing just 2 or 3 matches it wouldn't be big detail in final standing. I recommend you open this contest again and give people some chances.

Edited by rybak

Someone took the time to organize a contest, post it, users posted their predictions, and then it's cancelled. 

And it's not possible to let this be a stand-alone contest? That's just impossible, or what am I missing? I mean, we have an organizer, we have at least 16 participants, you really think cancelling the whole thing is better than letting these 16 people have their contest? The only one who should decide whether or not it continues is the organizer (which is tuniscof). If he wants to continue this contest and has the time to keep track of the points, for crying out loud, let the contest go ahead. 

This is just....no, not gonna say what I think. It's better not to. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

28 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I still dont get it ...

14.gif

To every word of this post.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!