website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Why don't we also predict everything in team sports before the start then, literally the same thing. TdF should be like tennis/team sports. General standings etc before, individual stages daily.

I see you like to be sarcastic...but if you want automated sites with "prediction games" where you can predict the single matches in team sports, tennis, stages in Giro, Tour, Vuelta, F1, etc, until the start of each match, then Google is your friend.

Actually, I'd have a suggestion about contests (this year is too late maybe), but I'll tell tuniscof.

29 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

I see you like to be sarcastic...but if you want automated sites with "prediction games" where you can predict the single matches in team sports, tennis, stages in Giro, Tour, Vuelta, F1, etc, until the start of each match, then Google is your friend.

Actually, I'd have a suggestion about contests (this year is too late maybe), but I'll tell tuniscof.

It's not sarcasm, it's pointing the obvious. :p

Since daily predictions are not problem for some other contests, then they are also absolutely not for cycling. At the end of this one you will probably have a person predicting a lot of "Any Other" option winning (wouldn't be surprised if it's you, since you seem to dislike this logic for whatever reason :p), and that hardly has anything to do with predicting skills. It's not like tennis where predicting a match with already eliminated players can give you points. Here the likes of Porte, Valverde, Sagan, Gesink are out. Guaranteed zero points for everyone who has them.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

59 minutes ago, tuniscof said:

and about "suprises" i meant those good riders who were out or disqualified etc.

Which wouldn't make a difference, because it used to be done in the logical way, where you predict your things for a stage on the day of that stage (or the evening before or something). This all is just making this a bit of a joke of a prediction contest, simply because any sort of logic is gone and people who would predict stages based on how the competition is developing (like in basically every one of the millions of online contests for the Tour de France, and like it used to be here) have a distinct disadvantage now :) 

Oh and about point 3: Yes, the rules are different. Absolutely. 

And point 4: predicting matches for 5 weeks without being able to predict them as the tournament progresses is madness as well. 

Don't take it personal by the way, I think you're doing a fantastic job in taking over the role of prediction contest 'manager', I'm just sad that in the one contest where I actually have enough knowledge to make a difference, this thing with different rules than before (and illogical rules) happens.

Since nothing was said about stage-by-stage predictions, I rather simply thought that meant it would be the same as usual: stage-by-stage predictions to be allowed. Nowhere was there any mention of this not being allowed, so it's sort of weird that all of a sudden...turns out it's not allowed.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

48 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's not sarcasm, it's pointing the obvious. :p

Since daily predictions are not problem for some other contests, then they are also absolutely not for cycling. At the end of this one you will probably have a person predicting a lot of "Any Other" option winning (wouldn't be surprised if it's you, since you seem to dislike this logic for whatever reason :p), and that hardly has anything to do with predicting skills. It's not like tennis where predicting a match with already eliminated players can give you points. Here the likes of Porte, Valverde, Sagan, Gesink are out. Guaranteed zero points for everyone who has them.

The real reason is:

I DON'T WANT TUNISCOF TO WORK EVEN MORE THAN NOW, THERE ARE BETTER AUTOMATED SITES FOR DAILY PREDICTIONS THAT I LISTED ABOVE BUT THERE IS NO OTHER PLACE WITH GOOD PREDICTION CONTESTS ABOUT INDIVIDUAL SPORTS LIKE SWIMMING, ATHLETICS, NORDIC SKI, etc.

If you want to accuse me, fine...just tell me in which contests I am allowed to participate.

by the way, i am ok if you or heywoodu organize a daily contest about the Vuelta or any other competition, if i' m allowed to partecipate.

3 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

The real reason is:

I DON'T WANT TUNISCOF TO WORK EVEN MORE THAN NOW, THERE ARE BETTER AUTOMATED SITES FOR DAILY PREDICTIONS THAT I LISTED ABOVE BUT THERE IS NO OTHER PLACE WITH GOOD PREDICTION CONTESTS ABOUT INDIVIDUAL SPORTS LIKE SWIMMING, ATHLETICS, NORDIC SKI, etc.

If you want to accuse me, fine...just tell me in which contests I am allowed to participate.

by the way, i am ok if you or heywoodu organize a daily contest about the Vuelta or any other competition, if i' m allowed to partecipate.

There is no extra work really. The same post at the beginning could have been used for the selected individual stages.

#banbestmen

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

There is no extra work really. The same post at the beginning could have been used for the selected individual stages.

Searching, copying, pasting  with some modification 1 post per user is the same that doing it 12 times per user, once every 2 days? Ok :yes.

You are still in time to organize the contest for the last 2 weeks of the Tour if you want, or a daily contest about anything else.

By the way, people like you are the reason for which I stopped organizing similar contests years ago...since I was quite good in some sports, every time I was in top 3 or 5 I had to read that I had cheated, adapted points system to win and bla bla  bla....with no proof obviously, and despite all the time I used to put in them.

Edited by Dunadan

1 hour ago, Dunadan said:

Searching, copying, pasting  with some modification 1 post per user is the same that doing it 12 times per user, once every 2 days? Ok :yes.

You are still in time to organize the contest for the last 2 weeks of the Tour if you want, or a daily contest about anything else.

By the way, people like you are the reason for which I stopped organizing similar contests years ago...since I was quite good in some sports, every time I was in top 3 or 5 I had to read that I had cheated, adapted points system to win and bla bla  bla....with no proof obviously, and despite all the time I used to put in them.

Don't you know what a joke is? (although, in my experience, people who react like this to not even a real accusation usually have something to hide)

Anyway, it's still MUCH less complicated to calculate then tennis for example, where at the same time one person is posting partial women's quarterfinals + mixed doubles semifinals, while someone else is posting men's quarterfinals. Here you scroll through predictions for the same stage (especially with only certain stages being selected, with several days between them).

Plus, it's easier to give points stage-by-stage, then to go through every stage separately for each user at the end.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Don't you know what a joke is? (although, in my experience, people who react like this to not even a real accusation usually have something to hide)

Anyway, it's still MUCH less complicated to calculate then tennis for example, where at the same time one person is posting partial women's quarterfinals + mixed doubles semifinals, while someone else is posting men's quarterfinals. Here you scroll through predictions for the same stage (especially with only certain stages being selected, with several days between them).

You didn't answer the part in which i asked you if you want to organize a contest. I asked you twice. My point is that if you want to make things more hard in terms of time needed, you should do a part of the work.

But sure, continue your insinuations :yes