website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

Well then this is by far the strangest Tour de France prediction contest in history (not only on Totallympics) :lol:

Sorry, but it makes no sense. At all. Predicting general standings and such before the Tour starts makes sense, of course, but having to predict up to three weeks of stages 1-2-3 weeks before they are actually held? No, that's......no words. 

It's like a Fantasy Diamond League competition where you have to enter all your predictions for all of 2017 before the start of the first meet. Or a Premier League (football) prediction competition where you have to predict all 38 (?) rounds of play before the very first match starts. I'm sure it exists, but it makes no sense whatsoever. 

Spoiler

fuck-golf-fuck-that-shit-im-out.jpg

1339181000869_8032746.png

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Just a thought: breaking a prediction design to post day-by-day is completely equivalent to editing your predictions every day, after the deadline. It wouldn't make much sense to forbid the latter and allow the former. :p

Not really, because you are not editing when posting day by day. :p

I do agree that there should be daily posting for individual stages (yes, we do that in tennis and team sports). However, since it wasn't written then it's too late.

#banbestmen

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Not really, because you are not editing when posting day by day. :p

I do agree that there should be daily posting for individual stages (yes, we do that in tennis and team sports). However, since it wasn't written then it's too late.

Not really, in tennis we predict fourth Round winners without knowing if they survive the first round (in my opinion, I'd continue this format until the final :p, it's more fun) and in team sports all matches of the pool stage are predicted before the start as far as I know.

1 minute ago, Dunadan said:

Not really, in tennis we predict fourth Round winners without knowing if they survive the first round (in my opinion, I'd continue this format until the final :p, it's more fun) and in team sports all matches of the pool stage are predicted before the start as far as I know.

Which is quite odd as well, by the way. Although not so odd as having to predict a stage at the end of July already in the beginning of July, there's just no fun in that. Like that the advantage is for the people who have luck, where in every normal prediction competition you would make your predictions for the stages based on how the Tour is developing, who is in form or not, what you're expecting of a certain stage given the circumstances in other stages etc. 

Plus, besides all that, in previous Tour de France prediction contests it was done in the normal way: you can predict a stage until the day of the stage, like everywhere else on internet. Saying it's different only when specifically mentioned is quite unfair, because in that case there should be something high up in the opening post that says: "Day-by-day predictions allowed? YES/NO". Now there was no mention whatsoever that it was not allowed, which could realistically (with logic, history and everything else in mind) lead one to believe that it was in fact allowed. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Why don't we also predict everything in team sports before the start then, literally the same thing. TdF should be like tennis/team sports. General standings etc before, individual stages daily.

#banbestmen

il y a 22 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

Which is quite odd as well, by the way. Although not so odd as having to predict a stage at the end of July already in the beginning of July, there's just no fun in that. Like that the advantage is for the people who have luck, where in every normal prediction competition you would make your predictions for the stages based on how the Tour is developing, who is in form or not, what you're expecting of a certain stage given the circumstances in other stages etc. 

Plus, besides all that, in previous Tour de France prediction contests it was done in the normal way: you can predict a stage until the day of the stage, like everywhere else on internet. Saying it's different only when specifically mentioned is quite unfair, because in that case there should be something high up in the opening post that says: "Day-by-day predictions allowed? YES/NO". Now there was no mention whatsoever that it was not allowed, which could realistically (with logic, history and everything else in mind) lead one to believe that it was in fact allowed. 

Some of you @Henry_Leon and @heywoodu talked about it but we didn't agree about it :mumble: why complaining now? !!!! :dunno:

Also about previous Tour de France prediction contest which was in 2015I didn't have it like all prediction contests before 2016 so I couldhave  followed the same pattern, may be then i would have used Day-by-day predictions it would also have been easier for me with the prediction design ...:whistle:

Spoiler

You can EDIT your predictions whenever yout want until the start of the first event of the Prediction Design Post. Once competition starts, you are NOT ALLOWED to edit your post and any further changes will be ignored. On contestant's request, edited predictions will be accepted, but contestant will earn 0 points for finished events and the events that have started. Moment of the least editing will be considered as the entry moment, in other words.

if you only read these rules ... where Day-by-day prediction were never mentioned

plus i reminded everyone about the deadline (to remind everyone to post their whole predictions) here:

Spoiler

but i explained it just after posting and before the start of the stage that to be fair to everyone having the same chance (most of you didn't view the prediction design yet) :

Stage 1 (Individual Time Trial) points won't be counted  so Everyone you have until Monday July 3rd 12:25 (GMT+2)

And I never talked about Day-by-day predictions,  so why now insisting on day-by-day predictions? is it because of all "suprises in this year's edtion of the TOUR ? Well i guess that's a handicap for everyone here no one is advantaged or disadvantaged since all of you started at the same level as equals )

Most important thing remember it's just for FUN :d

19 minutes ago, tuniscof said:

Reveal hidden contents

You can EDIT your predictions whenever yout want until the start of the first event of the Prediction Design Post. Once competition starts, you are NOT ALLOWED to edit your post and any further changes will be ignored. On contestant's request, edited predictions will be accepted, but contestant will earn 0 points for finished events and the events that have started. Moment of the least editing will be considered as the entry moment, in other words.

if you only read these rules ... where Day-by-day prediction were never mentioned

plus i reminded everyone about the deadline (to remind everyone to post their whole predictions) here:

Reveal hidden contents

but i explained it just after posting and before the start of the stage that to be fair to everyone having the same chance (most of you didn't view the prediction design yet) :

Stage 1 (Individual Time Trial) points won't be counted  so Everyone you have until Monday July 3rd 12:25 (GMT+2)

And I never talked about Day-by-day predictions,  so why now insisting on day-by-day predictions? is it because of all "suprises in this year's edtion of the TOUR ? Well i guess that's a handicap for everyone here no one is advantaged or disadvantaged since all of you started at the same level as equals )

Most important thing remember it's just for FUN :d

Yes, I read those rules and editting is not allowed, of course. Day-by-day is an entirely different thing and was never mentioned which, like I said, could realistically lead one to believe that they were allowed (like in the past, like everywhere on internet, like logic would say). Nowhere was said that they were not allowed.

Yes, we talked a lot about the deadline, which logically seemed to be for the general prediction standings. And no, it's not because of all the 'surprises'. I don't know why you would bring that up, because there are almost no surprises in this Tour. 

Sure, it's about fun, but there's no fun anymore when all of a sudden it turns out that the rules of your (my) favourite contest make no sense at all :) I'm 'complaining' now because now it turns out the rules are different than they have ever been and different than any kind of logic would dictate, and that's....no fun :)

Edited by heywoodu

Nothing about day-by-day was said, so i predicted the whole Tour before it started. Maybe it's not logical for the stages, but since nothing about it was said official, then for me it should stay like it was, predicting everything before the start.

il y a 35 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

Yes, I read those rules and editting is not allowed, of course. Day-by-day is an entirely different thing and was never mentioned which, like I said, could realistically lead one to believe that they were allowed (like in the past, like everywhere on internet, like logic would say). Nowhere was said that they were not allowed.

Yes, we talked a lot about the deadline, which logically seemed to be for the general prediction standings. And no, it's not because of all the 'surprises'. I don't know why you would bring that up, because there are almost no surprises in this Tour. 

Sure, it's about fun, but there's no fun anymore when all of a sudden it turns out that the rules of your (my) favourite contest make no sense at all :) I'm 'complaining' now because now it turns out the rules are different than they have ever been and different than any kind of logic would dictate, and that's....no fun :)

1. OK Next time I'll add a notice saying : Day-by-day predictions ARE NOT ALLOWED 

2. The deadline is about all the predictions (General standings, other standings, and daily stages so that no one has advantage of knowing what good/bad is level of some of the riders on the tour before he posts his predictions :)  you can say it wwas done on purpose :p )

and about "suprises" i meant those good riders who were out or disqualified etc.

3. no the rules are not different, it's been a long while that we didn't use Day-by-day predictions (I remember that was for Volley World League or something ) and it's more complicated to "collect" day-by-day predictions

4. I remember having the same talk with @Gianlu33 about the same issue ; it was about Rugby 6 Nations Tournament which was held over 5 separated weeks :p