website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

On 07/12/2019 at 15:41, Wumo said:

(......).

As a new initiative, the Prediction Group will try its best to get the users here on Totallympics more involved in the selection process. Every month the users will vote for the prediction contest in the upcoming month. The Prediction Group will create a poll every month in the Totallympics Prediction Contests section. Users will have a fixed number of votes depending on the amount of suggested events for the month. If there are two suggested events in January, users will have 2 votes. In case of three events, users will have 2 votes. Four events then 3 votes per user and so forth. Users are not forced to use all of their votes. They can choose to vote for one or no event. The event with most votes in the poll that month will have a prediction contest the upcoming month. Usually a poll ends the last day of the month. So the poll for the prediction contest in February will end January 31st. In case an event happens in the first week of a month, the poll will close at an early time in the previous month. So with February it could be January 24th the poll would close. 

Here is a current list of suggested events for 2020:

Hide contents

January:

9–26 Jan. Men's European Handball Championships

- 12–26 Jan. Men's and Women's European Water Polo Championships

February:

- 12-23 Feb. Biathlon World Championships

- 15-16 Feb. Luge World Championships

- 21 Feb-1 Mar. Bobsleigh & Skeleton World Championships

- 26 Feb-1 Mar. Track Cycling World Championships

- 28 Feb-1 Mar. Speed Skating Allround & Sprint World Championships. 

March:

- 13-15 Mar. Athletics Indoor World Championships

- 13-15 Mar. Short Track Speed Skating World Championships

- 14-22 Mar. Women's Curling World Championships

- 16-22 Mar. Figure Skating World Championships

- 22-29 Mar. Table Tennis World Team Championships

April:

Both events start in the end of March, but ends in April.

- 28 Mar-5 Apr. Men's Curling World Championships

- 31 Mar-10 Apr. Women's Ice Hockey World Championships

May:

- 8-24 May Men's Ice Hockey World Championships

- 26-31 May BMX World Championships

June:

- 5-7 Jun. European Rowing Championships

- 12 Jun -12 Jul. UEFA EURO 

- 12 Jun -12 Jul. Copa America 

- 25-28 Jun. Mountain Bike World Championships

July.

- Various Olympic Prediction Contests. Continues into August.

August:

- 16-23 Rowing World Championships

- 26-30 European Athletics Championships

September:

- 12 Sep - 4 Oct. Futsal World Cup

- 15-20 Sep. European Table Tennis Championships

- TBA FIFA Women's U-20 World Cup

October:

- No suggestions

November:

- 2-21 Nov. FIFA Women's U-17 World Cup

December:

- 4-20 Dec. Women's European Handball Championships

- TBA  Swimming Short Course World Championships

Users can suggest events which are not included on the current list. Users must submit their suggestions in the Totallympics Discussion thread no later than the 12th in a month to have them in a poll. Example: Your suggested event is in May. You must submit your suggested event before April 13th. The deadline would be April 12th, 23:59 (GMT).

Feel free to already suggest any prediction or betting contest you want to have for Tokyo 2020. 

The list above with suggested events will be in the first post of the Calendar, Suggested Events & General Standings 2020 thread when it opens. The list will be updated with users' suggestions as they come.

Users now also have an opportunity to propose changes of the point systems or anything related to the prediction contests. It could be highering or lowering the basic number of points in the different team prediction contests? More or less bonus point systems? Different point system for medallists? Or what ever comes to your mind. As long as it has to do with Totallympics Prediction Contests, you are welcome to suggest and discuss it for the next couple of weeks. 

This was a rather long and informative post. I hope you have understood most of it. If not all, just write your questions down below and I will try to answer them. 

That's all from me,

Wumo

Suggestion about prediction 2020 calendar:

• The youth tournament (U23, U20, U17) should remain excluded from these contests, as we did until now.
  • Maybe a provisional calendar could be post, with some "fixed event" and don't let at poll all the choices ...

4 minutes ago, Henry_Leon said:

Suggestion about prediction 2020 calendar:

• The youth tournament (U23, U20, U17) should remain excluded from these contests, as we did until now.
  • Maybe a provisional calendar could be post, with some "fixed event" and don't let at poll all the choices ...

Thanks for your inputs, @Henry_Leon. :) I will consider if I need to change something about the contests and the selection of the contests. 

16 minutes ago, Henry_Leon said:

- 16-23 Rowing World Championships

This is only for non-Olympic events. It's a very inconsequential event, especially when held right after the Olympics.

And yeah, I agree that we are better of without junior/youth events.

#banbestmen

I'm missing tennis :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Instead of the weird speed skating combined allround + sprint world championships, why not have the single distance world championships? More events, makes more sense than ISU's dumb thing of putting two awesome, but non-related events together and so on.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

27 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm missing tennis :p 

Well, sad for you. :p But in all seriousness, I do like tennis, but I'm not sure if I want to keep the current format of the tennis prediction contests? Also, I can't come up with a new format. Furthermore, I'm not sure how many users are interested in tennis prediction contests? 

24 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Instead of the weird speed skating combined allround + sprint world championships, why not have the single distance world championships? More events, makes more sense than ISU's dumb thing of putting two awesome, but non-related events together and so on.

I don't follow speed skating closely. I only watch it at the Olympics. With all of these world championships, I just picked the one which to me seemed to involve most events. I guess I was wrong in my assumption. :p 

The single distances championships is this one, right?: https://www.isu.org/events/eventdetail/11526/35/isu-world-single-distances-speed-skating-championships?templateParam=11

11 minutes ago, Wumo said:

I don't follow speed skating closely. I only watch it at the Olympics. With all of these world championships, I just picked the one which to me seemed to involve most events. I guess I was wrong in my assumption. :p 

The single distances championships is this one, right?: https://www.isu.org/events/eventdetail/11526/35/isu-world-single-distances-speed-skating-championships?templateParam=11

That's the one, yep :d 

The thing about the 'real' world championships (allround) and the sprint one is that they used to be separate for ages, until recently ISU decided to put them together in the same week(end). Result: nobody has a chance to go for the rare and hard double anymore and nobody seems happy about it. 

This combined thing has four events (men's and women's allround and sprint), the single distance one has 16 nowadays I believe (500, 1000, 1500, 3000/5000, 5000/10000, team pursuit, team sprint, mass start).

Edited by heywoodu

4 hours ago, Wumo said:

Well, sad for you. :p But in all seriousness, I do like tennis, but I'm not sure if I want to keep the current format of the tennis prediction contests? Also, I can't come up with a new format. Furthermore, I'm not sure how many users are interested in tennis prediction contests? 

Many would like to participate but are lazy to fill in their predictions :d