website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

hace 1 hora, Vojthas dijo:

I don't like the idea of five for one point, five for two points etc. The idea of points for correct bets is better. Still I'm a fan of deducting the betted points for incorrect bet.

The thing is, if we just do that "bonus for correct guesses" and no other change, then these users wouldn't change their strategy. I mean, probably they would care more about getting most of the bets right, but the strategy of betting only 10s and 1s would be untouched. There would be like two paralel games, one in which you try to guess as many bets as possible and another in which you try to win only your 10 point bets.

We have to make changes to the point distribution itself, otherwise that strategy will still be the dominant one.

As for deducting points, Dunadan already showed it wouldn't have any real effect (well, at least with the way I proposed, there could be other variants that make it work more efficently).

Edited by LDOG

1 hour ago, wumo26 said:

There are two Bet Contests I would like to host:

2019 World Aquatics Championships and 2019 World Athletics Championships 

But I'm open for other suggestions. 

I wouldn't do 2019 athletics, instead it might make sense to have one for the 2020 youth olympics. Maybe one for the Tour de France could also work?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Why not 2019 Athletics? It might be a small one, like five questions from track, five from throws, five from jumps, three from road and two overalls. TdF would be very tiny - I don't think there would be more than ten questions in it.

2019Contest4.png

Final Standing available here

ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b.jpg.4a05d2852188ff96f934faa5edf1d813.jpg :wDEN: Agger
5a91983c5af54_ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b-Copy.jpg.034592cc412660cfe59ff1ce89ac476f.jpg :wFRA: toulousain
ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b - Copy (2).jpg :wROU: ady48

Denmark going strong this year! Almost 2/2, and it looked like wumo26 is going to add another medal, but it was @Agger who finished strong, winning gold medal and the contest by comfortable margin. Congratulation! :champion: 

First medal for France in a while, and I believe the first ever for @toulousain who finished in top 10 in the previous three contests if I am not mistaken. Well done on the silver medal! :bowdown: 

Annual medal coming to @ady48 who seemed to be far from the podium at one point, but latter events raised him to the podium. Congrats! :cheer: 

Special thanks goes to @wumo26 for being helpful :hatoff: 

Thank you everyone who participated, and now going back to Sweden for Biathlon :d