Well, that was a close one in the bet contest

19- The winner time of the Men's 50km will be 1:50:00 or under [YES/NO - X]

Winner time 1:49:59 :p

Holy shit ... :yikes:

I bet 10 points in the bet contest on YES for this question ... :lol:

On the other hand i predicted Sundby to win a medal ... :cry:

Edit: Still no results? Why does it take you so long ... :dunno::p

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

UContest1.png

Final Standing available here

ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b.jpg.4a05d2852188ff96f934faa5edf1d813.jpg :GER  OlympicsFan
5a91983c5af54_ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b-Copy.jpg.034592cc412660cfe59ff1ce89ac476f.jpg :ITA  Dunadan
ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b - Copy (2).jpg :BUL Federer91

Congratulation, @OlympicsFan, with a strong last day, where a lot of points where on board, you secured a relative "safe" victory and a gold medal in the Bet Contest.  :champion:

@Dunadan with a very well-deserved silver medal. You and @OlympicsFan were only one point apart before the last bets were going to be decided today. 

@Federer91 secures a bronze medal to Bulgaria with a strong last day, where the winner time on the Men's 50 km decided if you, @chrischi08 or @hckosice, would take the bronze medal. 

So close for @chrischi08 and @hckosice, you were only 1 and 2 points away from winning the bronze medal, so close, but unfortunately, no medal this time. Though, still a very good performance in the Bet Contest overall. :)

Lastly, thanks to all the participants, @OlympicsFan, @Dunadan, @Federer91, @chrischi08, @hckosice, @heywoodu, @EselTheDonkey, @ady48, @Speedy, @Vojthas, @africaboy, @Olympian1010 and @tuniscof :).

Edited by wumo26

1 hour ago, wumo26 said:

UContest1.png

Final Standing available here

ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b.jpg.4a05d2852188ff96f934faa5edf1d813.jpg :GER  OlympicsFan
5a91983c5af54_ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b-Copy.jpg.034592cc412660cfe59ff1ce89ac476f.jpg :ITA  Dunadan
ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b - Copy (2).jpg :BUL Federer91

Congratulation, @OlympicsFan, with a strong last day, where a lot of points where on board, you secured a relative "safe" victory and a gold medal in the Bet Contest.  :champion:

@Dunadan with a very well-deserved silver medal. You and @OlympicsFan were only one point apart before the last bets were going to be decided today. 

@Federer91 secures a bronze medal to Bulgaria with a strong last day, where the winner time on the Men's 50 km decided if you, @chrischi08 or @hckosice, would take the bronze medal. 

So close for @chrischi08 and @hckosice, you were only 1 and 2 points away from winning the bronze medal, so close, but unfortunately, no medal this time. Though, still a very good performance in the Bet Contest overall. :)

Lastly, thanks to all the participants, @OlympicsFan, @Dunadan, @Federer91, @chrischi08, @hckosice, @heywoodu, @EselTheDonkey, @ady48, @Speedy, @Vojthas, @africaboy, @Olympian1010 and @tuniscof :).

Thanks! Expected win, i wonder when people will realize that my strategy is the best for this contest?

On the one hand it's sad that so few people took part, on the other hand i think it shows how much more difficult this is than the other "normal" prediction contests we usually have.

Thanks for organizing all this and hopefully next time i will get the chance to contribute some questions (this time i didn't know that the contest would take place before i saw the thread with the finished design).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Thanks! Expected win, i wonder when people will realize that my strategy is the best for this contest?

On the one hand it's sad that so few people took part, on the other hand i think it shows how much more difficult this is than the other "normal" prediction contests we usually have.

Thanks for organizing all this and hopefully next time i will get the chance to contribute some questions (this time i didn't know that the contest would take place before i saw the thread with the finished design).

Well, I can reveal that other users do use the same strategy as you. ;)

I may understand why so few took part. First, it's an unofficial contest, so many maybe didn't want to take part for that reason. Second, it was announced at bit late, as you write. 

I also think more people would have participated if they could have contributed with questions for the contest. I will definitely do more to involve users next time. I may also introduce a new system next time I decide to host a contest. 

Last year I thought we had to spice things up and have a "lost bet, points deduction" kind of system.

Like, right now the system is: you're given x maximum points to distribute and when you lose a bet you only lose points from that maximum of points.

What I had in mind was: you're given x points to distribute and when you lose a bet you lose points from the total points you earned with the bets you won. This way people will think twice before throwing 10s around without considering much consequences. It's a good strategy but breaks the spirit of the contest in a sense. Obviously, with this alternative system I would give a lot more points to initially distribute so very different strategies can take shape ("high risk, high pay" vs "conservative distribution", etc).

I was already thinking about it for Pyongyang but I had to make that bet contest quickly so I couldn't give shape to it. Also, I'm not exactly a mathematics genious so I could be terribly wrong in my ideas.

But now we have wumo taking over this, so I'm sure he will come up with a better points system :)

34 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Last year I thought we had to spice things up and have a "lost bet, points deduction" kind of system.

Like, right now the system is: you're given x maximum points to distribute and when you lose a bet you only lose points from that maximum of points.

What I had in mind was: you're given x points to distribute and when you lose a bet you lose points from the total points you earned with the bets you won. This way people will think twice before throwing 10s around without considering much consequences. It's a good strategy but breaks the spirit of the contest in a sense. Obviously, with this alternative system I would give a lot more points to initially distribute so very different strategies can take shape ("high risk, high pay" vs "conservative distribution", etc).

I was already thinking about it for Pyongyang but I had to make that bet contest quickly so I couldn't give shape to it. Also, I'm not exactly a mathematics genious so I could be terribly wrong in my ideas.

But now we have wumo taking over this, so I'm sure he will come up with a better points system :)

I thought the last bet (or maybe it was Rio one?) was like that.