website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

Am 18.2.2019 um 17:43 schrieb wumo26:

Yes. 

To clarify, all questions where the words "individual event/s" don't appear, team events will also count. 

This question is the only exception. Obviously, the team event and team sprint don't count.

9- Germany will have at least 2 or more athletes on the podium in the same event [YES/NO - X]

Let's say a relay with 2 athletes with 3 names wins a medal, does it count as 2 medals for the question mentioned by the italian guy above?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Am 18.2.2019 um 13:01 schrieb wumo26:

Short answer: Yes, they do. 

The list of defending champions (from 2017):

Stefan Kraft, Piotr Zyla, Dawid Kubacki, Maciej Kot, Kamil Stoch, Carina Voigt, Marcus Eisenbichler, Svenja Würth, Andreas Wellinger. 

I think then you have to rephrase the question. If someone from the gold winning polish team in men's ski jumping from 2 years ago wins a gold medal in a different event here, it can't be considered defending his title and therefore shouldn't count.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I think this time there are far less questions you can easily answer with YES or NO, this is probably good for the "competition", but bad for my chances of winning.

There are 2 questions i don't like:

1) Will Klaebo be the last athlete for the norwegian relay

2) Will at least one event be postponed by at least 1 hour

For me those 2 questions are about guessing and don't have much to do with actual knowledge (of course you could say that Klaebo is the best sprinter in the world and therefore should always be the last athlete in a relay, but noone here knows what plans the norwegian coach has).

45 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Let's say a relay with 2 athletes with 3 names wins a medal, does it count as 2 medals for the question mentioned by the italian guy above?

Yes. 

Example: Norway's Men's Relay wins gold. Athletes on Relay: Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo, Martin Johnsrud Sundby, Sjur Roethe, Emil Iversen. 2 medals won by athletes with three names. 

43 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think then you have to rephrase the question. If someone from the gold winning polish team in men's ski jumping from 2 years ago wins a gold medal in a different event here, it can't be considered defending his title and therefore shouldn't count.

I can see that the question maybe isn´t formulated precisely enough. 

"At least one defending champion (from 2017) will win a gold medal". In my opinion, and what I meant with the question, is that a defending champion/gold medalist from 2017 will win a gold medal in any event. It would probably have been more precise if the question was, " At least one gold medallist from 2017 will win a gold medal".

39 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think this time there are far less questions you can easily answer with YES or NO, this is probably good for the "competition", but bad for my chances of winning.

There are 2 questions i don't like:

1) Will Klaebo be the last athlete for the norwegian relay

2) Will at least one event be postponed by at least 1 hour

For me those 2 questions are about guessing and don't have much to do with actual knowledge (of course you could say that Klaebo is the best sprinter in the world and therefore should always be the last athlete in a relay, but noone here knows what plans the norwegian coach has).

1) As you write in your comment, Klaebo is a good sprinter, and therefore he would likely be put last in the relay, so if you had some knowledge about his strengths, you could predict he would be put last in the relay. (Also he is a better freestyle skier than for example Iversen, who he is also a good sprinter.)

2) That is just a fun, sort of silly question which is a pure guess for all betters/predicters in the contest. Of course it would be annoying if you lost by one point and you got the question wrong, but that is how it is for all user in this bet contest. 

By the way, comments and criticism like this are really welcoming. This is the first time I have hosted a betting/prediction contest, so all comments and opinions how I, as a host, and the contest could be improved are very welcoming. 

Edited by wumo26

3 minutes ago, wumo26 said:

I can see that the question maybe isn´t formulated precisely enough. 

"At least one defending champion (from 2017) will win a gold medal". In my opinion, and what I meant with the question, is that a defending champion/gold medalist from 2017 will win a gold medal in any event. It would probably have been more precise if the question was, " At least one gold medallist from 2017 will win a gold medal".

This really was quite clear. A defending champion (anyone who won gold in 2017) winning a gold medal (any gold medal) in 2019.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

When we are on the topic of discussing the questions in the Nordic Bet contest.

This question: 12- At least 2 or more athletes from the Women's 5km C will be slower than the winner of the Men's 10km C

:CHI Salcedo didn't start, so she will not count because she never try to set a time.

Then we come to the controversial part. :HUN Laczko DNF, but because she started, and tried to set a time, she will count.  :THA Klobuczek's time of 25:50.8 is the mark. If the winner time in the Men's 10km C is under this, the answer will be yes. 

2 minutes ago, wumo26 said:

This question: 12- At least 2 or more athletes from the Women's 5km C will be slower than the winner of the Men's 10km C

:CHI Salcedo didn't start, so she will not count because she never try to set a time.

Then we come to the controversial part. :HUN Laczko DNF, but because she started, and tried to set a time, she will count.  :THA Klobuczek's time of 25:50.8 is the mark. If the winner time in the Men's 10km C is under this, the answer will be yes. 

Yeah, nobody will be under 25:50. :p

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Said the royalty of nitpicking.

Imagine how clear it was eventually.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, wumo26 said:

How can DNF count as 'being slower than X'? :p  #nitpicking