website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

Better late than never, thanks :d 

And never again a cycling contest in which you have to predict all stages beforehand, that was the strangest prediction contest rule ever, like playing a Premier League prediction contest and having to predict the entire season worth of matches before match 1 :lol:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I'm very happy that there'll be a biathlon prediction contest, but a bit sad at the same time. I like to over-analyse things which often leads to a fairly decent record in biathlon prediction contests for me, unfortunately, since we have to post 15-ish days of predictions in one night, it becomes more of a lottery. I understand the sprint and the pursuit are necessary to be posted on the same day, but I know that my predictions would change drastically after I've seen those two races, because we haven't seen the athletes for about three weeks when they hit the Olympics. Perhaps someone ain't feeling well, or is drastically underperforming on the skis or range, but you already have them locked in for individual and mass start (for example). Another thing that I like to look at is the starting bibs that are only announced a day before the actual competition and lastly the conditions matter as well, because there's athletes that you wouldn't be likely to bet on if for example that day had strong wind.

2 hours ago, Werloc said:

I'm very happy that there'll be a biathlon prediction contest, but a bit sad at the same time. I like to over-analyse things which often leads to a fairly decent record in biathlon prediction contests for me, unfortunately, since we have to post 15-ish days of predictions in one night, it becomes more of a lottery. I understand the sprint and the pursuit are necessary to be posted on the same day, but I know that my predictions would change drastically after I've seen those two races, because we haven't seen the athletes for about three weeks when they hit the Olympics. Perhaps someone ain't feeling well, or is drastically underperforming on the skis or range, but you already have them locked in for individual and mass start (for example). Another thing that I like to look at is the starting bibs that are only announced a day before the actual competition and lastly the conditions matter as well, because there's athletes that you wouldn't be likely to bet on if for example that day had strong wind.

The same reasons are valid for the team events and even more important in the alpine competition here the problem is not only the shape of the athletes but what can happen in the trainings even before the single race.

Anyway I like this format because it's not enough to be an expert (otherwise it would be impossible for me to hope in a medal) but you must be also lucky or a good soothsayer: they are quite unpredictable like the real sports! :)

OG starts on 9th February but every prediction is already open: well done managers!

6 hours ago, Werloc said:

Yep, it's always a shame when you have to give all your predictions before event one starts, that makes it more of a lottery indeed. Oh well, it's better than nothing, and at least they're all already open :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!