website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, dcro said:

This one definitely can't count for the general standings. Short notice, not complete templates, contradicting statements from prediction contest mods... It's back to the same old story from 2016 and 2017 (for which we still don't have results btw), as @Pablita very well explained in her post.

:yes I agree

@tuniscof is back :hatoff:, and we hope he can update the last year contests

Missing from 2017:

• Tour de France
  • Judo WC
  • Afrobasket

(despite the GS 2017 have already a clear winner ........:bowdown:  @Dunadan )

Spoiler

Provisional General Standing 2017

(missing 3 events)

Rank User Nation Points
1 Dunadan :ITA 13850
2 africaboy :ROU 10250
3 Henry_Leon :ITA 9457
4 ady48 :ROU 8950
5 Pablita :ITA 8390
6 heywoodu :NED 7759
7 Federer91 :BUL 7569
8 dcro :CRO 7268
9 tuniscof :TUN 7153
10 bestmen :ALG 6801

vor 18 Stunden schrieb dcro:

This one definitely can't count for the general standings. Short notice, not complete templates, contradicting statements from prediction contest mods... It's back to the same old story from 2016 and 2017 (for which we still don't have results btw), as @Pablita very well explained in her post.

There must be some rules, although they can seem harsh, they should be for the best. I don't think prediction contests on Totallympics can survive any more flops to be honest...

Yes it better not, i didnt complete my predictions, when i saw that it was cancelled ...

So now this will certainly only be for fun for me, because it will be difficult finishing high without any points from the first day ...

I can personally say that i dont care about the general standing, so for me its fine to not include this contest.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Concerning general standings for  2018, I had an idea that the points should be awarded according to the number of participants. For example: if contest has 40 participants, 40th place is to be awarded 1 point, 39th place 2 points and so on until we get to the half of the total number of participants. Then, 19th place should have 2 points more than the 20th... with difference between 10th and 1st gradually increasing and with 1st ranked getting 80 points (for each contest, max points = 2*number of participants). With this way, we award the winners at the big contests. It is harder to win when there are 50 people competing than 20.

What do you think?

hace 20 minutos, Wanderer said:

With this way, we award the winners at the big contests. It is harder to win when there are 50 people competing than 20.

What do you think?

Agree completely.

Edited by LDOG

28 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Concerning general standings for  2018, I had an idea that the points should be awarded according to the number of participants. For example: if contest has 40 participants, 40th place is to be awarded 1 point, 39th place 2 points and so on until we get to the half of the total number of participants. Then, 19th place should have 2 points more than the 20th... with difference between 10th and 1st gradually increasing and with 1st ranked getting 80 points (for each contest, max points = 2*number of participants). With this way, we award the winners at the big contests. It is harder to win when there are 50 people competing than 20.

What do you think?

Not sure, this would favor those who do well at more popular contests - meaning more popular sports.

Also, I have an idea concerning the general standings. I think using tennis-alike system would be nice, meaning  points from one contest are removed one year after the contest was held. Ranking could be updated on a monthly basis (as opposed to tennis' weekly basis). This way we'll eventually always have yearly Totallympics rankings, and not just at the end of each year. Also defending points and stuff like for how many weeks X user has been no. 1 can add to the intrigue. :d This time we obviously start from 0, so this is more of a 2019 idea.

#banbestmen

Il y a 6 heures , bestmen a déclaré:

where are the results of tennis ?

if you haven't time or busy just stop it , remember  you didn't finish them last year

Please don't start the year by complaining :d we are still in January !!! I'm working on the results 

2 minutes ago, tuniscof said:

Please don't start the year by complaining :d we are still in January !!! I'm working on the results 

and I'm sure I read somewhere during the off season, that people would be happy with results after the completion of each round, as each day can be a bit too much. 

8 hours ago, Wanderer said:

What do you think?

:thumbdown:

Don't like so much this point system, could be a big prize for who play only the contest of top-event (like Fifa world Cup this year). Not too fair....

Maybe is more useful reduce the current points system: last year average of users was 24 and this means tha last in contest "win" more or less 150 pts!!!

The top contest of 2017 (Football/Confederation Cup) was played from 33 users; need increase the users that play, and with this proposal the contest "less popular" or the new events will have less interest.......

7 hours ago, dcro said:

Not sure, this would favor those who do well at more popular contests - meaning more popular sports.

Also, I have an idea concerning the general standings. I think using tennis-alike system would be nice, meaning  points from one contest are removed one year after the contest was held. Ranking could be updated on a monthly basis (as opposed to tennis' weekly basis). This way we'll eventually always have yearly Totallympics rankings, and not just at the end of each year. Also defending points and stuff like for how many weeks X user has been no. 1 can add to the intrigue. :d This time we obviously start from 0, so this is more of a 2019 idea.

We can't complicate the precarious situation :wacko:   There are a troubles with a single year ranking.............

Furthermore the events aren't the same every year and you can't substitute the FIFA WC 2018 (men) with Fifa WC2019 (women) or the Winter Olympic with Summer Olympic (every two years, obvious).

Let this ranking system be left at tennis, as we see in other situation don't runs so much (Fifa ranking :facepalm:)

hace 3 minutos, Henry_Leon said:

need increase the users that play, and with this proposal the contest "less popular" or the new events will have less interest.......

Well, to be fair it's only you and other 7/8 users who really care about general standings. I don't think it would have an effect on the popularity of contests... those who care about general standings will still participate in all contests, and those who don't care will still play just the contests they feel like doing. For example, I don't think I would suddenly start to participate in biathlon contests even if it starts giving 1000 points for general standings, cuz I don't care about general standings and I don't know anything about biathlon. On the other hand, I would still participate in a rugby contest even if 15 people participate because I simply like and know more about Rugby.