website statistics

Basketball Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

hckošice

Favorites after I saw teams for qualifications (not all):

*France (they will play without few great players, they are still favorites, but not so big as I thought before few months), Canada si second favorite, Turkey 3.

*Serbia is only favorite to win quota. Other result will be huge surprise. Czech Republic and Puerto Rico are not good at all, but I don't think they can beat Serbia

*Italy first, Croatia second and Greece third after few cancellation. Btw Tomic and Rudez won't play for Croatia. Not so big problem for Croatia. Tomic is much better in Barcelona than for national team.

Edited by dareza

Senegal will be without their top player Dieng at the Manilla OQT. Not that will probably matter because they are hardly the favourites there with or without him. Clevin Hannah who plays in the spanish ACB league will be their naturalized player.

Also, Lithuania has put preliminary list for Olympics, they are qualified already and they have Valanciunas and Moteijunas on the list along with Domantas Sabonis, son of Arvydas who played in college in USA.

Preliminary list for Brazil men's team was announced. 14 names for 12 spots (Rafa Luz and Giovannoni are the probable cuts):

Spoiler

Marcelinho Huertas (Armador / Los Angeles Lakers)
Raulzinho (Armador / Utah Jazz) 
Marquinhos (Ala / Flamengo)
Leandrinho (Ala-armador / Golden State Warriors)
Alex Garcia (Ala-armador / Bauru)
Anderson Varejão (Ala-pivô / Golden State Warriors)
Nenê (Pivô / Washington Wizards)
Hettsheimeir (Pivô / Bauru)
Benite (Ala-Armador / Murcia)
Augusto Lima (Pivô / Real Madrid)
Larry Taylor (Ala-armador / Mogi das Cruzes)
Vitor Faverani (Ala-pivô / Murcia)
Rafa Luz (Armador / Flamengo)
Guilherme Giovannoni (Ala-pivô / Brasília)

Gianis Antetoukumpo (i'm not even going to preted I spelled it correctly) will play for Greece.

Andrew Wiggins is not going to play for Canada. He says he wants to focus on Timberwolves because they are buliding championship contender team. What a joke.

Other dropouts from Canada team include Olynik, Stauskas, Nicholson, Lyles, Powell etc.

Cory Joseph will play and it's still unknown for Tristan Thompson, his season with the Cavs isn't finished yet. But at this moment I would make a bet he wouldn't play as well. So, after all it seems from the death tournament it was expected at Manilla, we will see much interesting things in Turin.

Russell Westbrook is also out for USA.

In Serbia late breaking news tonight is Bjelica is injured as well and probably will miss OQT, he is at the Wolves facilities now working on a rehab.

Too many withdrawals :facepalm:With this many, football tournament could be better and it's u23. Unfortunately it seems that basketball is going in the same direction at Olympics.