website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

Going into the 200IM final in swimming, 2 Americans and 2 Canadians had about the same entry times (2:11's).  The difference is the Americans actually performed at that level here, getting gold and silver, while the Canadians were 3/4 seconds behind that, getting 3rd and 4th.  

I think this is what's most frustrating as a Canadian sports fan.  It's not that we don't have great athletes, because we do.  It's not that they don't win, because they do.  But, generally speaking across all disciplines, Canadian athletes under perform in big competitions.  For years, Canada led the way in 4th and 5th place finishes at the SOG and WOG.  Canada had the lowest World Championship to Olympic medal conversion rate for decades.  

It's not about the winning.  And lord knows, I'm not criticizing athletes who do things I can't dream of.  I'm just saying, as a Canadian, it's tough watching my peers just shrink under pressure time and time again.  It's a national pysche thing.  We just don't have the killer instinct, as a nation.  

Hence, 223435 silver medals here, and top 10 medals in the Olympics but only 20th in gold.  

Edit: I just want to say that I said the part about Olympic medal ranking randomly.  But I just looked it up, and in Rio, Canada was really 10th in total but 20th overall.  That worked out!

Edit 2: At the last 2 SOG, 62% of Canada's medals have been bronze, while only 14% have been gold.  

Edited by orangeman

Anyway, I don't want to sound like a negative Nelly.  I'm proud of all our athletes.  I really am.  I've had a rough couple of days, and just want a win here and there.  And I got it, so can't complain.  Now I've had a drink or two, so I have opinions.  You know what they say about opinions?  They're like assholes.  They stink.  :sick:

55 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Neither Baseball/Softball nor Cricket should be in the Olympics. There’s quarter of the world that loves each, a quarter that doesn’t care, but will watch, and half that doesn’t even know the other exists.

It depends on how you count "the world", countries or population.  It also depends on what you think the Olympics should be about.

Baseball/Softball: It includes a good portion of regions (North and Central America, the Caribbean, Europe and East Asia).  It also includes an okay population when considering East Asia.  I lived in South Korea and they watched every pitched during 2008, and went wild when they won gold.  However, the infrastructure costs a lot, and it doesn't get the best players in the world.  

Cricket: I don't understand it, personally.  But enough countries that are under-represented at the SOG would participate that would make it worthwhile.  India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc.  There are African countries that could compete, as well.  This could use the same sites as baseball.  But since both would take multiple days, I'm not sure how that would work out.  

Personally, I like the idea of host countries getting to choose about 3 sports to include.  Japan likes baseball, so fine.  France doesn't have the infrastructure or the fan base, so they'd have...idk,...cheese making or something.  

ps. I grew up in Quebec, speak French.  The only thing I love more than the French is making fun of the French.  

Just now, orangeman said:

It depends on how you count "the world", countries or population.  It also depends on what you think the Olympics should be about.

Baseball/Softball: It includes a good portion of regions (North and Central America, the Caribbean, Europe and East Asia).  It also includes an okay population when considering East Asia.  I lived in South Korea and they watched every pitched during 2008, and went wild when they won gold.  However, the infrastructure costs a lot, and it doesn't get the best players in the world.  

Cricket: I don't understand it, personally.  But enough countries that are under-represented at the SOG would participate that would make it worthwhile.  India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc.  There are African countries that could compete, as well.  This could use the same sites as baseball.  But since both would take multiple days, I'm not sure how that would work out.  

Personally, I like the idea of host countries getting to choose about 3 sports to include.  Japan likes baseball, so fine.  France doesn't have the infrastructure or the fan base, so they'd have...idk,...cheese making or something.  

ps. I grew up in Quebec, speak French.  The only thing I love more than the French is making fun of the French.  

France could’ve choose Squash or Boules since they have decent players in each, but they caved to the IOC instead. Hopefully LA 2028 won’t fall prey to Bach so easily.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Gold in women's basketball.

This sport has suffered so much difficulty in recent years, with the level falling year after year. Even in the smallest detail I already see an improvement. Maybe this title could be a real start for this team. Congratulations girls !! :champion:

:ECU  Team ECUADOR  :ECU

Day 15 Review

Links for previous days reviews

EBpgVBUWkAEU6k4.jpg

Spoiler

ATHLETICS

M 3000m Steeplechase

(Final)   8. Diego Arevalo  9:01.21

M Pole Vault

(Final)   6. Jose Pacho Velez  5.41

(Final)   7. Dyander Pacho Velez  5.31PB

W 3000m Steeplechase

(Final)   6. Katherine Tisalema  10:06.74PB

W Hammer Throw

(Final)   5. Valeria Chiliquinga  66.11

68339308_2349904918378360_12558861557531

BODYBUILDING

M Classic Bodybuilding

(Pre-Judging)  5. Angelo Ronquillo       Qualified for Final

(Final)  5. Angelo Ronquillo  69

W Fitness

(Pre-Judging)  6. Ana Falconi del Castill   Qualified for Final

(Final)  6. Ana Falconi del Castill   48

EBpButRXYAMpo44.jpg

EBpBukkX4AY17Tq.jpg

ROAD CYCLING

M Road Race

5. Jhonnatan Narvaez  +0

19. Bayron Guama  +2:34

22. Jimmy Montenegro  +2:36

23. Jefferson Cepeda  +2:37

W Individual

20. Miryam Nuňez  +4

23. Leslye Ojeda  +43

30. Dayana Aguilar  +1:26

EBoEcSEWkAI-9B3.jpg

EBoZs7DXkAAj0i8.jpg

EBojuQcXUAEX9lI.jpg

EBn13c8W4AAB79D.jpg

EBnopTLXoAAx_JD.jpg

GOLF

M Individual

(After Round 3)  24. José Miranda  218

W Individual

(After Round 3)  24. Mercedes Gomez  228

(After Round 2)  -. María Arizaga  DSQ

Mixed Teams

(After Round 3)  14. José Miranda/Mercedes Gomez  146

67678900_2247196425335908_66301599556409

JUDO

W -63kg

(Quarterfinals)  Estefania Garcia - Prisca Awiti  :MEX  00S2-01S1   Qualified for Repechage

(Repechage)  Estefania Garcia - Madeline Choconta  :COL  10S2-00S3   Qualified for Bronze Medal Bout

(Bronze Medal Bout)  Estefania Garcia - Alexia Castilhos :BRA  00S1-01S1   (5th Place)

EBotaAWXUAABW6r.jpg

EBpGt7WXkAMMESP.jpg

KARATE

M -84kg

(Round-Robin - Pool B)  Esteban Espinoza - Carlos Sinisterra  :COL  0-0W

(Round-Robin - Pool B)  Esteban Espinoza - Carlos Mendoza  :PER   6-1

(Round-Robin - Pool B)  Esteban Espinoza - Freddy Valera  :VEN   0-1

Eliminated in Preliminary Round

M +84kg

(Round-Robin - Pool A)  Franklin Mina - Rodrigo Rojas  :CHI   0-1

(Round-Robin - Pool A)  Franklin Mina - Diego Lenis  :COL   1-2

(Round-Robin - Pool A)  Franklin Mina - Jorge Beltran  :PER   0-1

W -61kg

(Round-Robin - Pool B)  Jacqueline Factos - Alexandra Grande  :PER   0-3

(Round-Robin - Pool B)  Jacqueline Factos - Claudymar Garces Sequera  :VEN   3-4

(Round-Robin - Pool B)  Jacqueline Factos - Erica Dos Santos  :BRA   5-0

EBoZsQGWwAAqcI0.jpg

EBoZreZW4AAf5Y3.jpg

EBoj__VWkAAz3HO.jpg

EBoj_WKWsAAzDP8.jpg

EBolht1WkAAnZHf.jpg

EBolhWxXoAAeY1A.jpg

SAILING

Mixed Lightning

(Finals)   4.  Julio Velez/Irene Suarez/Eduardo Viteri   44

EBTdrT-VUAEpxkD.jpg

SPEED SKATING

M 10000m Elimination Race

3. Jorge Bolaňos  16:37.708   BRONZE MEDAL

W 500m + Distance Preliminaries

(Heat 3)   3. Maria Arias  47.593    Eliminated in Heats

W 10000m Elimination Race

4. Gabriela Vargas  9800m

EBovoVoUEAAkn8C.jpg

EBoftvPUYAAnGhF.jpg

EBnjMoyWwAAq813.jpg 

EBoXEHzUwAAXOXg.jpg

EBoXDOrU8AA8eOm.jpg 

SWIMMING

M 1500m Freestyle

(Finals)  12. David Farinango  16:01.18

M 200m Individual Medley

(Heats)  4. Tomas Peribonio  2:02.67   Qualified for Final-A

(Final-A)  4. Tomas Peribonio  2:01.25

EBn-xMiXYAYHII1.jpg

EBp-vtuVUAIAHeF.jpg

EBqBNwLXYAAjFpo.jpg

FREESTYLE WRESTLING

M -125kg

(Quarterfinals)  Victor Mancheno - Antoine Braga  :BRA  5-5   Eliminated in Quarterfinals

7 hours ago, konig said:

El Salvador, aparently, is the strongest country of the continent of Body building with two golds.........all of that "sport" is bizarre.

I guess they have to be tough considering they have the highest murder rate in the World...

#banbestmen