website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

Dropping an Olympic sport that originates from the Americas and where American countries have historically done well would be bizarre.

I would actually support the expansion of trampoline into team.  I think the best way to expand the sport into Latin America would be to have it here, so competitors can work up to the Olympics.  

I think squash and racquetball are redundant.  Squash often comes up for Olympic consideration, so it seems like the more established and legitimate of the two.  

I know nothing about Basque Pelota, but if it's popular in Latin America then I support it staying.  

I think there are too many combat sports, but if they're in the Olympics then they have to stay here.  Maybe I'm uneducated, but Wrestling, Boxing and one martial art would be fine.  But they don't cost a lot to host, and they include some smaller nations, so fine.  

Water ski is cool to have here because it's different.  Idk think any other continental competition has it.  

Body building should go.  Surfing is in the Olympics for some reason, but shouldn't be.  Lacrosse should be in.

Equestrian shouldn't be in Pan Ams or Olympics.  Unpopular opinion.  But don't get me started on what should and shouldn't be in the Olympics.  (Let's just say I hear CRICKETs).  

And that's how I would fix everything.  You're welcome.  :d

Just now, orangeman said:

Water ski is cool to have here because it's different.  Idk think any other continental competition has it.  

Yes, you are correct. It is present at the World Games, Mediterranean Beach Games, SouthEast Asian Games, World Beach Games however.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Re: Squash

Out of interest I looked into the world rankings.  In the top 10 of men, there is Egypt, Peru, Colombia, NZ and Germany (in fact, the top 4 are from Egypt).  For women it's much the same, throw in a Frenchie, American, Hong Konger and a couple of Brits.  

If the IOC wanted to expand countries with interest in their sports, this seems like a no brainer.  It's not a lot of infrastructure and includes many non-traditional countries from regions that are often left out of the SOG.  North Africa/Middle East, and non-Brazilian South America.  It makes more sense to me than table tennis, and yes I know I know.  I lived in East Asia for 15 years.  

I think squash and racquetball are redundant.  Squash often comes up for Olympic consideration, so it seems like the more established and legitimate of the two.  

However, Racquetball has more regional ties. It is the only other multi-sports games besides the World Games that features the sport. It would affectively signal the death of competitive Racquetball.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

However, Racquetball has more regional ties. It is the only other multi-sports games besides the World Games that features the sport. It would affectively signal the death of competitive Racquetball.

That's fine then.  I'm not saying one of them definitely has to go, but I'd rather one of them go instead of something completely unique and interesting.  

I think there are too many combat sports, but if they're in the Olympics then they have to stay here.  Maybe I'm uneducated, but Wrestling, Boxing and one martial art would be fine.  But they don't cost a lot to host, and they include some smaller nations, so fine.  

Lacrosse should be in.

Boxing needs to go. There’s plenty of reasons and they haven’t been addressed in decades. I’m fine with Judo, Karate, Taekwondo. I know may international sports fans are fed up with multiple martial arts at events, but these 3 have enough differences to justify their inclusion.

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Boxing needs to go. There’s plenty of reasons and they haven’t been addressed in decades. I’m fine with Judo, Karate, Taekwondo. I know may international sports fans are fed up with multiple martial arts at events, but these 3 have enough differences to justify their inclusion.

I wanted to say Boxing has to go, but it's an Olympic sport so I left it.