website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

Just now, intoronto said:

“The initial discussion of the executive board was to be selective, make sure those sports that are non-Olympic have to earn their spot in the Games and we have a basic rule which is you have to have at least 20 Olympic committees of our 41 that have a recognized federation, a working federation.”

Bye, Bye Water Ski :bye: (Except that Chile is quite good and will probably choose to save it)

In my opinion, based off that article, Squash is in serious danger (rightfully), Bodybuilding is all but gone, and it will tight to figure out which other sport they drop (rumors have been circulated that Bowling and Basque Pelota are on the chopping block)

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I actually think it’d be in Chile’s best interest to add Fistball to the games in 2023. 4 of the 8 best teams in the world (for men at least) are Pan Am countries. Chile is one of the best teams (only Brazil is better in Pan Am) and would definitely win a medal.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Dropping an Olympic sport that originates from the Americas and where American countries have historically done well would be bizarre.

Yes, I don't have a perfectly objective explanation to drop it, but I still believe the recent results at the Pan Ams hardly justify its presence in the program, in my opinion: Canada won 7 out of 8 possible gold medals since 2007, and in 1955 and 1959 the US won both gold medals (and the remaining gold medal Canada didn't win in 2007). There's just no variety among winners. Even rhythmic gymnastics has had more variety among nations that have earned at least one gold medal (Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Cuba, Mexico and the US in 9 editions) while in trampoline we've had two nations (Canada and the US) earning the gold medal in 6 editions.