website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

7 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

You haven't watched artistic gymnastics, have you?. Even though the US sent the best girls (except for Simone Biles) and dominated the team competition, the event finals were unpredictable and the US was not even close to a full sweep like we all expected before the Games. The men's competition was extremely surprising, with US not earning any gold medals. Even Brazil lost the most expected medal this edition, gold on rings with Zanetti.

I understand that the Pan Ams might not be very exciting for people from Europe and Asia, but it's not like I feel excited about the Asian Games either (China doesn't send their best athletes either and still they are unbeatable). I don't see any point in your criticism. If India competed at the Pan Ams, I could bet all my money they would be trailing off behind Argentina at this point, so why complain about the quality of the event?

Well China can send its 31st ranked anthers and still 3/4 of the world in most sports. The Asian Games were just awesome, same with the Pacific Games. The Pan American Games just aren’t. I honestly enjoyed the CAC Games more, and thought the level of competition was better there than it is here. I think that the difference for me is, Asia has made huge strides in sports in the last decade. Pan American countries have been doing the opposite. Obviously there’s also been a lot more political and economic issues in Pan America recently, but the competition just doesn’t feel worth it. The games might be better in my opinion if the US and Canada didn’t bother sending teams. I think it would feel more serious and I could get more invested.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

The Asian Games were just awesome, same with the Pacific Games. The Pan American Games just aren’t.

This is a matter of opinion.

I watched the women's artistic gymnastics all-around final with ESPN commentary and after Kara Eaker fell on beam and floor, the commentator basically said "oh, they are just training here, no worries". If they win, so everything is easy and the competition is boring, but if they lose the competition is not important and they are just training. Typical.

Besides, Canada is not nearly as dominant as the US, even with their A teams. The same is true at the Olympics. Their recent performances at the Summer Olympics are on par with Brazil, Argentina and even Colombia. I mean, these countries are not so far away from Canada, and Canada is not even close to the US there. 

1 minute ago, thiago_simoes said:

This is a matter of opinion.

I watched the women's artistic gymnastics all-around final with ESPN commentary and after Kara Eaker fell on beam and floor, the commentator basically said "oh, they are just training here, no worries". If they win, so everything is easy and the competition is boring, but if they lose the competition is not important and they are just training. Typical.

Besides, Canada is not nearly as dominant as the US, even with their A teams. The same is true at the Olympics. Their recent performances at the Summer Olympics are on par with Brazil, Argentina and even Colombia. I mean, these countries are not so far away from Canada, and Canada is not even close to the US there. 

Canada won more than double the gold in 2015 vs 2011. If the country cared, there would be no competition for second imo.

Canada was top 10 in Rio in overall medals, won almost double Argentina/Colombia combined.

I just wish the NF's here like swimming, cycling, rowing, canoeing etc. woudl actually take this competition seriously. Only way to do that is make all sports Olympic qualifiers. Looking at diving for ex. straight from worlds to this competition and Canada sent its A team, because of Olympic quotas on the line.

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

Canada won more than double the gold in 2015 vs 2011. If the country cared, there would be no competition for second imo.

Canada was top 10 in Rio in overall medals, won almost double Argentina/Colombia combined.

Yes, I agree that if Canada cared more, they would make the battle for second place a lot more interesting, but never in a million years I would say that there would be no competition. Don't forget that in 2015 Canada had a huge boost as the host. I mean, just look at how Peru is performing here compared to how they perform at the other editions.

Second: no one cares about overall medals. Only recently the US began to care about it because China beat them in gold medals at the Olympics. We all know that gold medals are what matters when it comes to the medal table, and I don't see Canada earning that many, either at the Summer Olympics or even at this edition of the Pan Ams.

10 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Yes, I agree that if Canada cared more, they would make the battle for second place a lot more interesting, but never in a million years I would say that there would be no competition. Don't forget that in 2015 Canada had a huge boost as the host. I mean, just look at how Peru is performing here compared to how they perform at the other editions.

Second: no one cares about overall medals. Only recently the US began to care about it because China beat them in gold medals at the Olympics. We all know that gold medals are what matters when it comes to the medal table, and I don't see Canada earning that many, either at the Summer Olympics or even at this edition of the Pan Ams.

People do care about overall medals. That's where funding comes from. Why is there a medal table if only gold matters? lol. OFC gold will take preference over the other two any day, that's a given. 

Even with the home advantage, Canada won the same amount of gold vs Brazil AND Cuba combined. That's is not because of home advantage, that's because Canada's A team was present in every sport. 

Even with a B team in most sports here, Canada is still hanging in there, and honestly I am surprised at that!

And per the Totallympics tracker, Canada has 7 gold in WC events, almost double Colombia/Argentina/Brazil combined...

Edited by intoronto

Maybe enjoy the Pan American Games for what they are?

That doesn't mean I don't have a problem regarding schedule and broadcast, but this "USA and Canada doesn't care about the Pan Am Games" discussion is too overrated. That's their problem, but not one for the latin american nations - were the Games are widely popular (I mean, as far as multi-sport competitions go).