website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

44 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Skateboarding dropped from the sports program.

Yeah, didn’t look like it was going to go well...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, intoronto said:

Skateboarding dropped from the sports program.

They could add Aerobic Gymnastics, then. Just wishful thinking, of course.

Aerobics was supposed to be part of the program and all of the countries agreed with its inclusion. but the president of PAGU (Pan American Gymnastics Union) denied the inclusion of the discipline with no further explanation. This is baffling because: 1) Mexico would have had a HUGE chance of a gold medal in the men's event, and the president of the federation is Mexican; and 2) Peru had a 99% chance of a medal in the women's event, and this would have been only Peru's second medal in gymnastics. PAGU is by far the worst sports federation in the continent, and I wonder how they even have control of the sport in the Americas. There's even a separate South American federation (Consugi) even though they are nearly as bad as PAGU. 

Anyway, PAGU is very unprofessional and run by complete idiots. They don't even have a proper website, and their PR on Facebook is abysmal. I asked for results of the latest Pan American Championships and I got blocked on Facebook. Seriously, WTF?

Edited by thiago_simoes

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

They could add Aerobic Gymnastics, then. Just wishful thinking, of course.

Aerobics was supposed to be part of the program and all of the countries agreed with its inclusion. but the president of PAGU (Pan American Gymnastics Union) denied the inclusion of the discipline with no further explanation. This is baffling because: 1) Mexico would have had a HUGE chance of a gold medal in the men's event, and the president of the federation is Mexican; and 2) Peru had a 99% chance of a medal in the women's event, and this would have been only Peru's second medal in gymnastics. PAGU is by far the worst sports federation in the continent, and I wonder how they even have control of the sport in the Americas. There's even a separate South American federation (Consugi) even though they are nearly as bad as PAGU. 

Anyway, PAGU is very unprofessional and run by complete idiots. They don't even have a proper website, and their PR on Facebook is abysmal. I asked for results of the latest Pan American Championships and I got blocked on Facebook. Seriously, WTF?

COPACI (cycling) is horrible as well.

3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

COPACI (cycling) is horrible as well.

Yeah I’d say COPACI is worse, but to be fair there’s not a lot of good Pan Am federations to begin with (at least in my experience)

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

24 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah I’d say COPACI is worse, but to be fair there’s not a lot of good Pan Am federations to begin with (at least in my experience)

I can't say any are good with providing any sort of information. Most are quite bad.

----
Final sailing quotas. :ANT got two reallocated quotas, up to 3 athletes now and all in sailing.

http://panamsailing.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/STATUS-OF-COUNTRY-QUALIFICATION-2019-PAN-AM-GAMES-MAY-15-2019-REALLOCATION-OF-COUNTRY-PLACES-DECLINED-BY-NOCs-FINAL.xlsx.pdf

@vinipereira

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

I can't say any are good with providing any sort of information. Most are quite bad.

----
Final sailing quotas. :ANT got two reallocated quotas, up to 3 athletes now and all in sailing.

http://panamsailing.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/STATUS-OF-COUNTRY-QUALIFICATION-2019-PAN-AM-GAMES-MAY-15-2019-REALLOCATION-OF-COUNTRY-PLACES-DECLINED-BY-NOCs-FINAL.xlsx.pdf

@vinipereira

I find that document incredibly complicated, so would you posting who got the reallocations (please)

30 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I find that document incredibly complicated, so would you posting who got the reallocations (please)

Sure

RSX men: :CAN -1 :CUB +1

Lightning: :COL -3 

Laser men: :ANT:CAY:CUB:VEN +1 

49er men: :TTO -2 

Laser women: :COL and :PUR -1, :ANT and :ARU +1 

Sunfish: :DOM +1 

Edited by intoronto

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Yes, I had a lot of trouble to find all of the results from the previous Pan American championships. Even PAGU is completely lost and I'm not sure they even know when the first Pan Am championships was staged (according to my research, 1997). Consugi is also terrible and they only had the results from South American championships from 2011 onward, but at least they've always replied and tried to help. The problem is that the first South American championships was held in 1959, so there was a lot to cover and I had to buy a couple of rare and expensive books myself to find some results from previous events so I could upload them to Wikipedia.

I know nothing about COPACI, but I seriously fear for cycling fans if COPACI is any worse than PAGU.

Edited by thiago_simoes

So Women’s 49erFX still only has 5 nations competing? That’s not ideal I would imagine. I assume that will be dropped by the next games.

41 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Yes, I had a lot of trouble to find all of the results from the previous Pan American championships. Even PAGU is completely lost and I'm not sure they even know when the first Pan Am championships was staged (according to my research, 1997). Consugi is also terrible and they only had the results from South American championships from 2011 onward, but at least they've always replied and tried to help. The problem is that the first South American championships was held in 1959, so there was a lot to cover and I had to buy a couple of rare and expensive books myself to find some results from previous events so I could upload them to Wikipedia.

I know nothing about COPACI, but I seriously fear for cycling fans if COPACI is any worse than PAGU.

They do not speak English (not that its a problem, but you would imagine they would have an English speaking rep). Any ask of information will lead them to be defensive and ask in Spanish, why do you need this information? Who are you? lol. 90% of the time they won't reply.

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So Women’s 49erFX still only has 5 nations competing? That’s not ideal I would imagine. I assume that will be dropped by the next games.

As long as its an Olympic event, it will survive.

Edited by intoronto