website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

Huge fan of the venues. They all look great. However, I do feel bad for the Peruvians who actually need the funds that were instead used to build these stadiums.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 19/04/2019 at 00:10, vinipereira said:

Notable changes (some of which were discussed here) include: Swimming at the second week in the same days of Athletics; Judo being held in the last days, as Taekwondo goes to the first days; most Cycling events being held from the second weekend on; all Boxing finals in the first week; Women's Volleyball tournament after Men's (Peru might be fighting for gold after all).

I think Toronto had some problems keeping the excitement for the second week (at the second Sunday, 233 out of 364 events had already been held). I don't think this will be a problem in Lima. In fact, the second week will be VERY busy.

A lot of events were moved to the first week in 2015 to accommodate multiple world events (World Aquatics, World Archery) etc. The bid book schedule was much more balanced... but then again that was just a bid book.

Looking at the schedule from 2015, there is really nothing that could have been moved to the second week because of venue use etc.

Edited by intoronto

On 15/04/2019 at 20:21, intoronto said:

:SKN has only competed in track and field, I doubt they qualify in any other sport.

:BAH has an outside shot in judo.

:GRN and :VIN will likely have a shot in tennis (through a wild card). Grenada will also likely get a triathlon wild card. :VIN was the only country not to get a rowing wildcard sadly.

:DMA will only compete in athletics. 

Quoting myself here...

:SKN has a chance in golf as well. Based on today's rankings they would just qualify one golfer.

Bolivia won 2 gold medals (Men's Singles and Doubles) at the Racquetball Pan American Championships. So I think the nation has a good shot at winning its first ever Pan Am Games gold.

Mexico got the other 2 (Women's Singles and Doubles) (results here). Does anyone know how to calculate the quotas?

36 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Bolivia won 2 gold medals (Men's Singles and Doubles) at the Racquetball Pan American Championships. So I think the nation has a good shot at winning its first ever Pan Am Games gold.

Mexico got the other 2 (Women's Singles and Doubles) (results here). Does anyone know how to calculate the quotas?

IRF will release quotas tmr, but I won't believe it till I see it.

After the brazilian championship, our Swimming team has been announced. Brazil is going to Lima with 35 athletes (18 men, 17 women). While the men's team is quite good (Pan Am champion Leonardo de Deus was able to qualify for Worlds but was left out here), the women's side is kinda weak. The list includes 3 of the 4 open water swimmers: Villarinho (who also qualified to the 1500m event, so his name counts for the max. 18 pool male athletes), Jungblut (another one who qualified for pool events) and Cunha. Another male marathon swimmer probably will be added to the list (for a total of 36 athletes) since there was a tie for second place in the trials (between Fernando Ponte and Allan do Carmo).

Gold medalists in 2015 that will be back: João de Lucca, Brandonn Almeida, Bruno Fratus, Marcelo Chierighini, Luiz Altamir Melo, Guilherme Guido, Etiene Medeiros.

Spoiler

Men

Marcelo Chierighini

Bruno Fratus

Caio Pumputis

Guilherme Costa

Fernando Scheffer

Vinicius Lanza

Miguel Leite

Brandonn Almeida

Guilherme Guido

Felipe Lima