website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

16 hours ago, mrv86 said:

I actually think that Canadian Olympic Committee's apathy towards PanAm Games since forever (except when they've been hosts) will see them drop to third of fourth, which is a circumstance both, Brazil and Cuba could benefit from. Mexico will closely fight for that 5th spot with Colombia and Argentina. As for the other 3, Chile has been quietly improving during this cycle, only disaster could prevent Peru from reaching a top 10 finish, so that leave Venezuela to fight off Ecuador, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico for the last spot.

I agree.Canada will be 5th imo behind Colombia, USA, Brazil and Cuba.

31 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I agree.Canada will be 5th imo behind Colombia, USA, Brazil and Cuba.

I still think Canada's going to rank fourth... Colombia was dissapointing at home last year, and they're being challenged in their strong disciplines (weightlifting, track cycling, speed skating), so there will eb a few less medals for them that four years ago, which should not be enough to overcome the Canadian delegationhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The only two positions that to me are absolutely fixed are USA 1st and Argentina 7th. We haven't improved one bit, the funding got a massive cut with the current government, the talent of our generation between 22-26 year olds is little and the YOG kids are still too young. We're still rellying on the 30+ people, pretty much the same people as 2015 but 4 years older. 

Canada with a decent athletics team will keep 2nd IMO. 

Edited by LDOG

15 minutes ago, LDOG said:

The only two positions that to me are absolutely fixed are USA 1st and Argentina 7th. We haven't improved one bit, the funding got a massive cut with the current government, the talent of our generation between 22-26 year olds is little and the YOG kids are still too young. We're still rellying on the 30+ people, pretty much the same people as 2015 but 4 years older. 

Canada with a decent athletics team will keep 2nd IMO. 

Canada will send a B team in rowing as well. I predict 0 gold, just like the qualifiers. With 0 gold in swimming that is a net loss of 16. No mountain bikers being sent, coupled with a weaker cycling team overall, I predict at most 2-3 gold there, which is another 8 golds being lost. Some other golds will likely also be lost. Remember in Guadalajara, Canada finished fifth ahead of Colombia by just one gold medal.

hace 1 minuto, intoronto dijo:

Canada will send a B team in rowing as well. I predict 0 gold, just like the qualifiers. With 0 gold in swimming that is a net loss of 16. No mountain bikers being sent, coupled with a weaker cycling team overall, I predict at most 2-3 gold there, which is another 8 golds being lost. Some other golds will likely also be lost. Remember in Guadalajara, Canada finished fifth ahead of Colombia by just one gold medal.

Ufff that's a lot. Yeah, back below Brazil and Cuba I guess.

Just a quick rundown of sports in which I'm expecting gold medal chances for our team:   

Sailing -1

Canoeing -1

Rowing -2

Pelota -3

Swimming -2

Judo -1

Hockey -2

Basketball -1 

Tennis -2

Softball -1

Basketball is usually pretty random but we will take our best team here as preparation for World cup.

Plus probably 3-5 more golds from outside chances (handball, football, racquetball, shooting, etc). Should be 20  total, give or take one.

Edited by LDOG

hace 2 minutos, vinipereira dijo:

Too soft on the Sailing projection?

Some of our best sailors won't go. I'm only expecting gold in lightning. In every other class Brazil is either slight or strong favorite. 

According to Wikipedia, the only nations that have yet to win a medal at the Pan American Games are: :ARU  :IVB

The following nations never won a gold medal: :BAR  :BIZ  :BOL  :DMA  :GRN  :HAI  :HON  :NCA  :PAR  :SKN  :VIN

Do you guys think any of this will change this year? I guess Bolivia has a chance at a Racquetball gold?

Yes, Conrado Moscoso is their best chance in men's singles, doubles and team but the pan am games are basically the world championships of this sport so it will be really tough. In theory Mexico is the main favorite to take all the golds in the sport.

Edit: also Bolivia are World champions in women doubles, I forgot that.

Edited by LDOG