website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

:VEN declined one of its spots in jumping, therefore losing its team quota. Both Venezuelans left get individual quotas, bumping both :PAN  :PUR. :PUR was next best team and thus gets the team quota, and all of this effectively screws :PAN 

@dcro what do you make of this mess?

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

These games are expected to be under budget, the second Pan Am Games in a row to do so. You can definitely host mega sporting events without going over budget!

It's not too hard, but that would require going smaller and sadly the IOC seems to not want that.

55 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It's not too hard, but that would require going smaller and sadly the IOC seems to not want that.

Me Thomas Back, Me want money, me want a stadium  just for people using the bathroom

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Let's remember the medal table from 2015:

Spoiler

medaltable.png

Do we think the top 5 will be the same this year? I say there's a good chance, but Brazil should fight (once again) with Cuba for 3rd place. Also, I'm not too certain about Colombia. They did disappoint at the last Central American and Caribbean Games (at home!), staying behind Mexico and Cuba. I totally can see Mexico in 5th. Also, don't count out Argentina, which I think improved a lot the last few years. So 5th Place are among those three.

I wonder if the situation in Venezuela will have its implications in sports. I think it will have a impact, just don't know how big it will be (I wouldn't be a shock to see Venezuela out of the top 10). Chile I think will return to top 10 after two Games - Lima should be a better Pan Ams for them compared to Toronto. At first I was doubtful about Peru's chances, but the extra events should give them at least top 10 (it would be very disappointing otherwise).

Anyway, I think it will be something like this:

1. :USA

2. :CAN

3. :BRA

4. :CUB

5. :MEX

6. :COL

7. :ARG

8. :ECU

9. :PER

10. :CHI

What you guys think?

53 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Let's remember the medal table from 2015:

Reveal hidden contents

Do we think the top 5 will be the same this year? I say there's a good chance, but Brazil should fight (once again) with Cuba for 3rd place. Also, I'm not too certain about Colombia. They did disappoint at the last Central American and Caribbean Games (at home!), staying behind Mexico and Cuba. I totally can see Mexico in 5th. Also, don't count out Argentina, which I think improved a lot the last few years. So 5th Place are among those three.

I wonder if the situation in Venezuela will have its implications in sports. I think it will have a impact, just don't know how big it will be (I wouldn't be a shock to see Venezuela out of the top 10). Chile I think will return to top 10 after two Games - Lima should be a better Pan Ams for them compared to Toronto. At first I was doubtful about Peru's chances, but the extra events should give them at least top 10 (it would be very disappointing otherwise).

Anyway, I think it will be something like this:

1. :USA

2. :CAN

3. :BRA

4. :CUB

5. :MEX

6. :COL

7. :ARG

8. :ECU

9. :PER

10. :CHI

What you guys think?

I actually think that Canadian Olympic Committee's apathy towards PanAm Games since forever (except when they've been hosts) will see them drop to third of fourth, which is a circumstance both, Brazil and Cuba could benefit from. Mexico will closely fight for that 5th spot with Colombia and Argentina. As for the other 3, Chile has been quietly improving during this cycle, only disaster could prevent Peru from reaching a top 10 finish, so that leave Venezuela to fight off Ecuador, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico for the last spot.

On 10/03/2019 at 16:56, mrv86 said:

Another quota for Ecuador @hckosicehis time in men's laser.

The other spots went to Chile, Colombia & Uruguay, plus two wildcards to be allocated.

Looks like :PUR withdrew or Chile actually won a quota at the North Americans, which means :LCA got the 4th spot here... 

http://panamsailing.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/STATUS-OF-COUNTRY-QUALIFICATION-2019-PAN-AM-GAMES-MARCH-10-2019-LASER-SATANDARD-LASER-RADIAL-SUNFISH.pdf