website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

@Olympian1010

The USA has not signed up its team for the taekwondo qualification tournament. Today is the deadline (they can still register after today, but would need to pay more $). Any idea if they are going or not?

I haven’t heard/seen anything. The games aren’t taken seriously here, so it wouldn’t shock me if they decided not to go.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I haven’t heard/seen anything. The games aren’t taken seriously here, so it wouldn’t shock me if they decided not to go.

Just because the games aren't taken seriously in the US doesn't mean they (Team USA) don't care. More often that not they send their best team in many sports, even the ones that don't qualify for the Olympics. Just look at the Taekwondo competition of 2015, for instance, with multiple Olympic medalists.

Sports in which USA usually sends the best athletes available:

Archery, Artistic Swimming, Badminton, Canoeing, Cycling except Road, Equestrian, Fencing, Hockey, Gymnastics except artistic, Handball, Judo, Pentathlon, Rugby, Sailing, Shooting, Table tennis, Taekwondo, Water Polo, Weightlifting, Wrestling

Basically everything in which they aren't too dominant at continental level or that gives qualification to olympic games. I think the only exception would be Fencing.

I mean, that's almost all the sports on the program once you add in the non-Olympic sports (minus Baseball).

It's the same for Canada; just because we don't send our best in athletics or swimming doesn't mean we don't care about the Pan American Games.

I would say though that there is some general underappreciation of the games in the anglo countries.

I don't understand the lack of interest in athletics in particular. World championship is usually held like a month or more after the games and the level from latinamerican countries is quite high in many events unlike swimming for example.

Even Jamaica doesn't take it seriously and they could need those gold medals in their tally. 

18 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I would say though that there is some general underappreciation of the games in the anglo countries.

I don't understand the lack of interest in athletics in particular. World championship is usually held like a month or more after the games and the level from latinamerican countries is quite high in many events unlike swimming for example.

Even Jamaica doesn't take it seriously and they could need those gold medals in their tally. 

Maybe with the World Championships being almost two months after the Pan American Games more athletes will show up. Canada seems to be letting their best go to Lima (whether or not they want to go is debatable)

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

They signed up today lol, after my comment. 

I’m pretty sure people in the IOC, media, and NF’s read this (because a lot of their arguments sound similar and they always elude to “outside data”; and because some have told me they look at formus from time to time)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela