website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

On 11/02/2019 at 02:18, mrv86 said:

Football

:ARG +18

:ECU +18

:URU +18

What a debacle for Brazil in team sports, at least the committee won't spend money at teams that wouldn't get a medal anyway.

Still sad about the decision that didn't allow Brazil's participation in women's football, even though we had a good shot at a gold medal.

Countries by team sport

:PER  16

:USA  15

:ARG  14

:CAN  10

:MEX  10

:PUR  10

:CUB  9

:BRA  8

:DOM  4

:URU  4

:CHI  3

:COL  3

:JAM  3

:VEN  3

:PAN  2

:PAR  2

:TTO  2

:ISV  2

:ECU  1

:GUY  1

:NCA  1

*21 Countries have qualified a team; just over half of the participating countries.

*Note I did not include 3x3 basketball

*Spots left to be filled: One team from CONCACAF in the men's and women's competition. Handball has one spot to be filed in each event. Rugby sevens needs to fill one per gender from South America. In volleyball, 3 spots left to be filled, 2 in men and one in women's. 9 team spots left to be qualified.

14 minutes ago, intoronto said:

So :FRG has entered athletes into the taekwondo qualification tournament. I wonder if this is a mistake or are they being allowed to compete? :mumble:

Probably they will be allowed to compete in the tournament, but their competitors won't be eligible for a quota, at least that's what I think.

Probably, if Panam Sports follows CACSO lead, they could allow non IOC to compete at the next edition.

38 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Probably they will be allowed to compete in the tournament, but their competitors won't be eligible for a quota, at least that's what I think.

Probably, if Panam Sports follows CACSO lead, they could allow non IOC to compete at the next edition.

I’m in favor of that (technically they could compete as French athletes, but I don’t know how that would work)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, I have no issue of territories competing, as long as they have proper rules in place like they (or their parents/grandparents) were born there. I don't mind people who compete for France also wanting to represent their territory (like Lara Grangeon for New Caledonia), but we should prevent France (or Great Britain/Netherlands) from trying to sneak people from the mainland into the games.