Em 10/01/2019 at 03:30, intoronto disse:

Field hockey pools

Men

Pool A: :ARG :TTO :CHI:CUB  

Pool B: :CAN:USA :MEX:PER 

Women

Pool A: :ARG:CAN:URU :CUB 

Pool B: :USA:CHI:MEX :PER 

Only 8 teams for each gender? It looks weird to see Cuba and Mexico with both men's and women's teams, but not Uruguay. 

14 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Only 8 teams for each gender? It looks weird to see Cuba and Mexico with both men's and women's teams, but not Uruguay. 

The tournament has had 8 teams for a few cycles now. All team sports have 8 countries. 

Uruguay (and Brazil) unfortunately lost out to Peru who basically got a free spot in a lot of team sports. Only rugby had the sense to not give them a free pass in the men's event. At least Peru avoided Argentina in both events, or else we could have gotten another 30-0 loss (for some reason I remember DR's loss in 2003 really well, I was young at the time and thought to myself why are they hosting an event they are so bad in?) lol.

On 11/1/2019 at 22:26, intoronto said:

The tournament has had 8 teams for a few cycles now. All team sports have 8 countries. 

Uruguay (and Brazil) unfortunately lost out to Peru who basically got a free spot in a lot of team sports. Only rugby had the sense to not give them a free pass in the men's event. At least Peru avoided Argentina in both events, or else we could have gotten another 30-0 loss (for some reason I remember DR's loss in 2003 really well, I was young at the time and thought to myself why are they hosting an event they are so bad in?) lol.

All teams advance to quarterfinals. 

13 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Panamsports wants to reduce the amount of sports for 2023. Goodbye bodybuilding!

It was unlikely to remain even without reducing the number of sports. Basque Pelota should be in danger, but Chile will likely push for its inclusion. Surfing will likely be cut unless it stays on the Olympic program in which case it will likely have reduced events. Skateboarding is on the same boat as surfing, but I'd argue it has a better chance of surviving should it get cut from the Olympics. If there's a push to remove more established Pan Am sports I imagine water skiing will be a likely candidate, perhaps one of Racquetball or Squash if people start to argue that we have too many racket sports.

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It was unlikely to remain even without reducing the number of sports. Basque Pelota should be in danger, but Chile will likely push for its inclusion. Surfing will likely be cut unless it stays on the Olympic program in which case it will likely have reduced events. Skateboarding is on the same boat as surfing, but I'd argue it has a better chance of surviving should it get cut from the Olympics. If there's a push to remove more established Pan Am sports I imagine water skiing will be a likely candidate, perhaps one of Racquetball or Squash if people start to argue that we have too many racket sports.

Chile is quite good in water skiing. I dobt that happens.

But the quota jumped from 6,100 to 6600 (500!) in one games. 

8 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Chile is quite good in water skiing. I dobt that happens.

But the quota jumped from 6,100 to 6600 (500!) in one games. 

To be fair we went from 364 events to 424, an increase of 60 events. The fact that we only increased the number of athletes by around 550 was amazing.

13 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

To be fair we went from 364 events to 424, an increase of 60 events. The fact that we only increased the number of athletes by around 550 was amazing.

They should drop men's softball, basque pelota, bodybuilding from the next games. Arguably all the Pan Am Sports +  Olympic sports should be contested.