website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

Well, probably is not the choice of venue, but rather lack of funding for those federations, as some of them recently competed in CAC Games, so probably not enough money to support them in Canada.

Flying to Canada/staying in Canada is much more expensive than lets say hosting it in a central country like Mexico. The Belize athletes are all based in Canada apparently. 

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

If I'm interpreting the rules correctly, the maximum total athletes is 16... that means that you can't get maximum number of competitors in each discipline... for example if you qualify 3 in men's & women's canoe, and 6 in men's kayak, you could only have 4 women in kayak; likewise, if you've already qualified 5 women in kayak, then you can only qualify 5 men in that boat discipline.

The only other restriction is that if a NOC doesn't have entries in women's canoe, max number of athletes is 13; currently, that's is the case for Argentina.

In the end, I think that iPanam Canoe Confederation will manage to give additional quotas to some NOC's, as there have been events in which current rules have left open spaces.

The max. number will likely only be a problem for Canada/Cuba and potentially Mexico.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

The max. number will likely only be a problem for Canada/Cuba and potentially Mexico.

Probably only for Canada.

Surprisingly USA just got max quota in men's Kayak, and will surely be the first country to have to reduce their quota.

If my calculations are correct, there are 13 spots that will follow a reallocation process,

Cuba ends in first, Brazil in second and Canada 3rd.

USA in fourth position.

Manrique Larduet finish first in AA, with :CAN Cournoyer in 2nd and an American gymnast in third.

:MEX  De Luna wins the Rings competition, with Villafañe and Molinari from Argentina completing the podium.

Edited by mrv86

19 hours ago, intoronto said:

Actually, I updated my quota stats, and only Canada will have 16 canoers.

USA and Argentina both surpassed or will surpass their quotas in men's kayak, so there are 2 places left for reallocation, which summed together with 10 coming from women's kayak and 4 from non used wildcards (only Jamaica qualify by this method), leave many places to be redistributed.

12 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Actually, I updated my quota stats, and only Canada will have 16 canoers.

USA and Argentina both surpassed or will surpass their quotas in men's kayak, so there are 2 places left for reallocation, which summed together with 10 coming from women's kayak and 4 from non used wildcards (only Jamaica qualify by this method), leave many places to be redistributed.

This is so confusing lol. My understanding is if a country is at its maximum, the next eligible country will get the slot (which is why each day is split into different disciplines). If the USA does qualify a 7th athlete it would have been in the K1 1000, which means T/T would not get the quota officially and it would be up for reallocation (meaning they haven't qualified yet). Which event do you have T/T qualified under?

36 minutes ago, intoronto said:

This is so confusing lol. My understanding is if a country is at its maximum, the next eligible country will get the slot (which is why each day is split into different disciplines). If the USA does qualify a 7th athlete it would have been in the K1 1000, which means T/T would not get the quota officially and it would be up for reallocation (meaning they haven't qualified yet). Which event do you have T/T qualified under?

Trinidad and Tobago qualified in Men's K1 1000m, as the 5th and last boat. All the other boats had a competitor previously qualified, so only 6 could compete for the spot. As you correctly said USA got one of the spots, which due to them exceding the quota in men's kayak, will be reallocated.

AS I understand, each participating country will get an extra place, but the exact mechanic to allocate them is not clear to me.