website statistics

Totallympics Announcements Thread

Sindo

On 05/09/2019 at 07:12, Olympian1010 said:

Ladies and Gentleman, this is my 5,000 post. I didn’t want this occasion to go by without marking it, so get ready for this monster of a post.

First, I’d like to reflect about my time on Totallympics:

Growing up I was always an “outsider” or “misunderstood”. I didn’t have a lot of friends, and I didn’t share may of the interests other people my age had. I loved to talk politics, international sports, and life. I wasn’t really surrounded by people with those interests. There was a time, in middle school, where I seriously began to at least contemplate suicide. Luckily around the time I finished middle school and began high school, I found people who believed in me, and who liked me for me. However, even with my increased social participation, there was always something missing. No one I know wants to talk much about the Olympics, or the Commonwealth Games, or the Pan Am Games, or really about anything I was interested in. That all changed one spring day in early 2018 when I was browsing the internet looking for information about the Tokyo 2020 qualification process. I came across a website called Totallympics. I read what I believed to be the comments section at the time (mostly because I didn’t know much about forums), and saw a user complaining about how hard it would be for a Brazilian biathlete to qualify for the Olympics. I was immediately hooked from then on. It took me a while to understand this crazy new community that I was now a part. However, there isn’t a day that goes by where I’m not happy to be a Totallympics member. This forum completed me. It’s honestly helped me become a better person too through learning to interact with people who have vast differences in background. So, I’d like to thank all of you for being such great users, and for always (or at least most of the time) making me feel welcomed, and for giving me a place where I feel like I can be me.

Second I’d like to share some memories with users:

I’ll always remember being @heywoodu‘s new favorite user when I joined. I feel like that didn’t last long :p

I used to hate @bestmen‘s complaints, comments, accusations, etc., but now I’ve grown to love them like a child loves a drunk uncle. They might be crazy, but it would feel the same if bestmen wasn’t around.

Peter Sagan made my day as a little kid one time, so it’s always nice to have a fellow diehard supporter on the forum @hckosice. Plus, you’re one of the few users who just always seems to able to say the right thing to make everyone happy. 

You guys wouldn’t be my “online family” if we didn’t argue. I can always trust @heywoodu, @dcro, and @Monzanator to challenge my opinions and call me out when needed. I may often say things critical of you, but I still treasure your presence on this forum (even if you are wrong when I’m right :p)

I’d also like to give shoutouts to my fellow Americans who generally seem to understand where I come from, and always give me a nice sense of “home” @dezbee2008, @bmo, @Rdbc, @Maxim Fastovsky, @RobtheAggie

I can also almost always count on @zob79 to throw out a dirty joke. He’s more of the dirty grandpa of the family.

I never knew a lot of openly gay people growing up. Luckily I was taught tolerance from a young age. It blew my mind to see someone like @thiago_simoes be so open about it. The insights and opinions you’ve shared with me have been invaluable.

I obviously like to give huge shoutouts to @Sindo, @vinipereira, and @hckosice for keeping this wonderful place running and for at least attempting to keep us all in line.

Of course I’d also like to give a huge shoutout as well too my fellow Totallympics Media reporters @Vojthas and @mrv86.

Lastly I’d like to give a wholehearted thanks to @Sindo, @Vojthas, @mrv86, @OlympicIRL, and @heywoodu for supporting me on my journey as a sports journalist.

I’m sorry I couldn’t thank all the users who’ve made my time on here special, so here’s a special mention for you too @phelps, @ahjfcshfghb, @Federer91, @vlad, @Griff88, @MHSN, @Ustatsch, @Dolby, @Jan Linha, @ChandlerMne, @uk12points, @Grassmarket, @Gianlu33, @Wanderer, @wumo26, @Agger, @dareza, @intoronto, @NearPup, @JoshMartini007, @Laraja, @Belle, @Finnator123, @Function CR Lee, @Benolympique, @ofan, @AIFhg, @thepharoah, @amen09, @LDOG, @Jinzha, @opruh, and anyone else I’ve had the pleasure of interacting with that I can’t remember at the moment (sorry).

Third, I’d like to talk about being a sports journalist:

I feel in love with journalism during high school, and have has admired the likes of Inside The Games and Around The Rings. I made a name for myself around here as a replay archiver, but I always wanted to do more. I was lucky enough to meet @Vojthas who shared my passion for journalism and sport. He has taught me so much and is even currently at an event reporting for Totallympics Media (our first ever accreditation I might add). We were lucky enough to add @mrv86 to the team as well. This summer alone we made a podcast, and a fully functioning website for our organization. The later was only made possible @Sindo who I owe a huge thanks. I’d also like to thank all of you for your support, and ask that you continue to check in on Totallympics Media.

Fourth, I’d like to celebrate my 5,000 post by looking at some of my personal highlights. 

I have a community reputation of: 1,355 (and I never thought I’d ever reach, let alone pass 1,000)

In reactions I’ve received:

358 Luaghs

163 Trophies

70 Cries

53 Wows

16 Loves

“Facts”:

I’ve “won” 27 days.

I have 129 pages worth of reactions and comments.

I have 148 attachments.

I am (or will be) a Totallympics Gold Medalist and 2 time reputation Gold Medalist.

Trivia:

My user icon has been a flower for at least year.

I am a Senior Reporter at Totallympics Media.

I am from the United States.

My real name is Matt.

The first sport I played was Baseball.

I competed as a distance runner for 9 years.

I’ve worked as a volunteer at major international sports events like the 2017 Weightlifting World Championships.

I currently practice the sports of Roller Speed Skating and Sport Climbing.

I have been to Canada, The Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, and Mexico (and soon to be Japan and Austria).

Lastly, I’d like to say:

Cheers to 5,000 posts and here’s to 5,000 more :beer:.

Thank You All!

I am so glad for you because you are extremelly important member and all your work like podcast and etc are something that makes Totallympics special place. Its always nice to have a conversation with you!

I wish at least 5000 posts more for you. :champion:

16 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@bmo is younger at 16 or 17. He hasn’t been around in a while, just like @Rdbc who’s the same age as me. I like to represent the urban youth around here :p. I’m what Bach (Olympic Fencing Champion 1976) a “target audience”.

The young USA gang! :clap:

Also, in my first year at college rn so not as active as I wish to be, hopefully when I get more into a schedule I'll be active again :d

Just now, Rdbc said:

The young USA gang! :clap:

Also, in my first year at college rn so not as active as I wish to be, hopefully when I get more into a schedule I'll be active again :d

Or at least during Tokyo :yes

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I didn't know where to post this but a brazilian journalist called Rodrigo Huk who I believe was the user  @hukbrazilhas died today.

https://twitter.com/SurtoOlimpico/status/1173379153976004608

RIP Rodrigo.

It is with great sadness that I share the news that our dear friend Rodrigo Huk (@hukbrazil) has passed away at the age of 25.

As a young journalist, he worked for the website Surto Olímpico at the 2016 Rio Olympics, being one of the Totallympics members to attend those Games. An extremely humble and sensible guy, he was beloved and admired by the members of our brazilian sports group, leaving great memories for everyone who knew him. Huk will be greatly missed.

Spoiler

Just now, vinipereira said:

It is with great sadness that I share the news that our dear friend Rodrigo Huk (@hukbrazil) has passed away at the age of 25.

As a young journalist, he worked for the website Surto Olímpico at the 2016 Rio Olympics, being one of the Totallympics members to attend those Games. An extremely humble and sensible guy, he was beloved and admired by the members of our brazilian sports group, leaving great memories for everyone who knew him. Huk will be greatly missed.

Reveal hidden contents

Unbelievable. I'm at loss for words. He was such a nice guy. May he rest in peace.