website statistics

Athletics EAA Under 18 European Championships 2018

Werloc

15 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

Does anyone has the overview how many athletes  qualify per event for the YOG 

i saw it somewhere once, but cannot find it again.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_2018_Summer_Youth_Olympics#Qualification

I did the SB check on every athlete to track how it is expected for our athletes to perform. 11 athletes are expected to hit top 20, with three athletes landing at 13th at best. So unless some magic happens, semi-finals and lucky finals are our best bet :p

vor einer Stunde schrieb Werloc:

It's a bit awkward when it feels like I'm the only person genuinely extremely hyped for this event :d even when we don't have medal hopes :d

I think there are multiple reasons for it:

1) We have the world cup and wimbledon at the same time

2) This is the least important athletics championships for european athletes. In my opinion the U20 world championships later this year will be much more exciting. In my opinion there are no can't miss talents at the european U18 championships this time (no new Ingebrigtsen, Tortu, Duplantis and so on). At the U20 world championships we will have many talents who are already (close to) world class.

Especially from a german perspective there don't seem to be many great talents, overall i would say that the following are the most exciting talents:

Burgin (men's 800 m), Healy (women's 1500/3000 m), Ogchebie (men's high jump), Mahuchikh (women's high jump), Lillefosse (men's pole vault), Nacheva (women's triple jump), Ivanenko (women's hammer throw), Andreev (men's hammer throw), Kokhan (men's hammer throw)

Personally i clearly prefer track events and in my opinion there don't seem to be any talents that could become world class (i know too early to tell), so i am naturally less excited this time than i was in the past. Top talents like Seedo or Arneton are missing as well for some reason. In addition to that i don't like to see russian athletes being allowed to compete.

I don't want to be all negative, so i am gonna say that in one way U18 championships are the most spectacular championships, because they are least predictable. Some girl with a 11.60 s PB at 100 m who was only 5th on the entry list can suddenly run 11.40 s and win the gold medal, you don't really get that at senior championships (hopefully). For me as a fan the most important thing is not to see medals but to see athletes performing at their best or even improving their PB and that's what you will see a lot at U18 championships.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

22 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think there are multiple reasons for it:

1) We have the world cup and wimbledon at the same time

2) This is the least important athletics championships for european athletes. In my opinion the U20 world championships later this year will be much more exciting. In my opinion there are no can't miss talents at the european U18 championships this time (no new Ingebrigtsen, Tortu, Duplantis and so on). At the U20 world championships we will have many talents who are already (close to) world class.

Especially from a german perspective there don't seem to be many great talents, overall i would say that the following are the most exciting talents:

Burgin (men's 800 m), Healy (women's 1500/3000 m), Ogchebie (men's high jump), Mahuchikh (women's high jump), Lillefosse (men's pole vault), Nacheva (women's triple jump), Ivanenko (women's hammer throw), Andreev (men's hammer throw), Kokhan (men's hammer throw)

Personally i clearly prefer track events and in my opinion there don't seem to be any talents that could become world class (i know too early to tell), so i am naturally less excited this time than i was in the past. Top talents like Seedo or Arneton are missing as well for some reason. In addition to that i don't like to see russian athletes being allowed to compete.

I don't want to be all negative, so i am gonna say that in one way U18 championships are the most spectacular championships, because they are least predictable. Some girl with a 11.60 s PB at 100 m who was only 5th on the entry list can suddenly run 11.40 s and win the gold medal, you don't really get that at senior championships (hopefully). For me as a fan the most important thing is not to see medals but to see athletes performing at their best or even improving their PB and that's what you will see a lot at U18 championships.

I do agree with some points on it, although there are more interesting talents. Maria Vicente (heptathlon) looks very promising and interesting to watch. Olegs Kozjakovs (decathlon) is very talented. Marie Scheppan for Germany is already running 400m. quicker than the qualification mark for ECH and others.

I don't wanna judge man, but these boys all look a little feminine to me, with their long hair and female shapes and whatnot.

IT9nC9i.jpg

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

As always, the heptathlon hurdles are famous for destroying hopes of young athletes :rolleyes: Two years ago it was our girl that finished her heptathlon after an injury in the hurdles, then she went on to win a bronze medal in the U18 World Championship.

13.25 for Vicente :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I don't wanna judge man, but these boys all look a little feminine to me, with their long hair and female shapes and whatnot.

But you are not reading it properly. It's obviously boys decathlon for women. :evil:

#banbestmen