website statistics

How Many Medals do You Expect from Your Nation at the 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games?

Fly_like_a_don

Everyone is so pessimistic about their country's performance, I wonder who will surprise then lol.

For Canada:
Athletics - None are ranked in top 5 of their respective events, few are not even the best in Canada. Prediction= 0

Archery - Average Archer, likely won't medal. Prediction = 0

Badminton - Top 10 in the world, outside shot, but unlikely. Prediction = 0

Beach volleyball - Did bot qualify, received a wild card. The team finished fifth at the World Championships, so outside shot of a medal. Prediction = 1

Boxing - Received a spot only because USA had to reduce team size. Prediction = 0

Dancesport - Both did not medal at the Worlds, so no chance I think. Prediction = 0

Fencing - All are relatively good, but don't expect medals. Prediction = 0

Field hockey - Defending silver medallists, but they lost to Mexico in qualifying, so I don't expect a medal here. Prediction = 0

Gymnastics - Outside shots in artistic gymnastics and trampoline. Prediction = 1-2

Judo - Both are not competing in their weight class, so 0 expectations. Prediction = 0

Rowing - Only athlete could challenge for a medal, not don't think she will win. Prediction = 0

Rugby - This should be Canada's only guaranteed medal. Anything below a silver would be a major shock. Prediction = 1

Shooting - No chance. Prediction = 0

Sport climbing - Did not qualify, only received a reallocated spot, meaning no chance. Prediction = 0

Swimming - This is literally Canada's B/C team. I would be shocked at a medal. Prediction = 0

Taekwondo - Depending on the draw, he may medal. Prediction = 1

Triathlon - I doubt he medals. Prediction = 1

Wrestling - Both qualified only because the USA had to cut its team size. Prediction = 0

So 5-6 medals. 

We are sending 24 athletes, not familiar with many of them, but i think we could get 3-4 medals. Alexandra Nacheva and Valentin Hristov have big chances in athletics, as well as Andrian Andreev in tennis. We have athletes in rhythmic gymnastics, weightlifting, boxing, wrestling, all sports where if things go right, we could get something.  

It's hard to predict, most athletes are unknown but for no big change Iran as usual we expect medal in certain sports. this time mostly Wrestling, Taekwondo and Karate.

in wrestling, all 4 wrestlers should win a medal. because there are only 3 or max 4 good wrestlers in each weight.

in taekwondo, we have a full 6 athlete team. all of them are favorites for a medal , I expect 4 at least.

and in Karate, again all 5 of them will have a chance for medal. but the level is higher here. all qualified athletes are pretty good. so I expect 2 here.

and in weightlifting, our team doesn't look good but based on entries I think one medal is a a sure thing.

I'm not sure if I can expect anything else from other sports. there is a chance in futsal but they are in the same group with Brazil and Russia ! I expect something like 10-11 medals. including at least 4 gold medals.

I'm not even starting to try and predict this. Athletes at this age are often so inconsistent, plus they have so little competition against each other to compare them amongst each other. Making a realistic prediction really only is possible if you follow the 15-16-17-year olds in these sports and frankly if it's not biathlon, I usually don't :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm not even starting to try and predict this. Athletes at this age are often so inconsistent, plus they have so little competition against each other to compare them amongst each other. Making a realistic prediction really only is possible if you follow the 15-16-17-year olds in these sports and frankly if it's not biathlon, I usually don't :d 

That’s why I like the youth Olympics because they’re unpredictable 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

That’s why I like the youth Olympics because they’re unpredictable 

I like them and what I love most is the fact that most of these athletes are unknown to me but we all know some of them will be future stars and Olympic medal winners. Just like know when I look at results of 2010, I'm thinking "hey cool, back then this and this star was just a young unknown athlete" :p 

Just saying it's (at least for me, who doesn't follow all youth categories in all sports closely) impossible to make an accurate total prediction :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I expect 12 medals for Germany, less than half the number of medals Germany won in 2014, mostly due to the fact that the teams Germany will send in swimming/athletics are much weaker than those 4 years ago.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.