website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey IIHF World Championship 2019

hckošice

VENUES

Slovnaft Arena - Bratislava

(Ondrej Nepela Stadium)

Multi-use Indoor Arena in Bratislava, primarily used for Ice Hockey, is the home of the Slovak KHL club Slovan Bratislava. 

The Stadium is named in honour of Ondrej Nepela, Slovak figure skater who competed for Czechoslovakia in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and he is the 1972 Winter Olympics figure skating winner.

Opened in 1940 and held 8,350 people until its full reconstruction started in 2009. The reconstructed arena opened in spring 2011 It has increased capacity to 10,055 spectators.

01.jpg

zrekonstruovany_zimny_stadion_ondreja_ne

Steel Arena - Košice

(Ladislav Troják Stadium)

****TISC Host****

Multi-use Indoor Arena in Košice, in Ice Hockey used as the home of the local club HC Košice.

Steel Arena opened on February 24, 2006. Its capacity is 8,343 and was named in honour of the general sponsor of the club – the U. S. Steel Košice (a member of the United States Steel Corporation) and also in honour of Ladislav Troják, a Košice-born hockey player who was the first Slovak to win the World Championship with the Czechoslovakian national team.

Steel Aréna was already one of the venues for the 2011 IIHF World Championship, which was hosted by Bratislava and Košice.

06-icopal-big-image.jpg

kosice.jpg

@hckosice Are you gonna visit a match, you think? :)

Spoiler

I'm trying to win the award for most obvious question of the year.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

52 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

@hckosice Are you gonna visit a match, you think? :)

Hide contents

I'm trying to win the award for most obvious question of the year.

Strong rumors going that Slovakia will play all Preliminary Round matches in Košice :d because last time in 2011 they played in Bratislava, this time they want change it and bring the NT to the east part of the country. https://sport.sme.sk/c/20825220/slovensko-by-na-ms-v-hokeji-2019-malo-hrat-v-kosiciach.html

After the quarterfinals it looks like we will have RUS, SWE ?, CZE, GER ?, LAT, SVK, AUT and ITA  in the group Košice

and CAN, FIN, USA ?, SUI ?, NOR, DEN, FRA, GBR in the group Bratislava

but other rumors are saying that Austria will be seeded to Bratislava (so 80km from Vienna) and replaced by FRA in Košice. Pretty sure the same will happen with the Czech team, in this case it will be replaced by USA in Košice...but lets wait, everything will be official after the current tournament and we still have to wait for the final rankings of the 4 semifinalists here to know the real seedings of SWE, USA, SUI, GER

And it´s Official !!!!

Slovakia will play all preliminary round matches in KOŠICE !!!!  can you even believe it ? I can not even describe the feeling when I heard the official news in the radio. Wow I feel like a kid that everyone forgets in a pastry shop the whole night or so  :d this is really something that can happen only once in a life

https://www.new-iihf.com/en/events/2018/wm/news/3359/groups-for-2019

Spoiler

Originally Slovakia had to play with RUS, SWE, CZE, SUI, LAT, AUT and ITA, in Bratislava was scheduled the group B with CAN, FIN, USA, GER, NOR, DEN, FRA and GBR

but the organizing committee has possibility to make some changes in order to protect it´s marketing interests, like put CZE and AUT to Bratislava near their border. there were two possible options and the organizing committee decided to swap SVK with NOR and just change the groups from Bratislava to Košice, so weĺl play CAN, FIN, USA, GER, DEN, FRA and GBR in Košice...

Anyway there still a slim problem, since apparently Canada is not happy with this decision and apparently already announced that they don´t want to play in Košice...

3 ore fa, hckosice ha scritto:

And it´s Official !!!!

Slovakia will play all preliminary round matches in KOŠICE !!!!  can you even believe it ? I can not even describe the feeling when I heard the official news in the radio. Wow I feel like a kid that everyone forgets in a pastry shop the whole night or so  :d this is really something that can happen only once in a life

https://www.new-iihf.com/en/events/2018/wm/news/3359/groups-for-2019

Nascondi Contenuto

Originally Slovakia had to play with RUS, SWE, CZE, SUI, LAT, AUT and ITA, in Bratislava was scheduled the group B with CAN, FIN, USA, GER, NOR, DEN, FRA and GBR

but the organizing committee has possibility to make some changes in order to protect it´s marketing interests, like put CZE and AUT to Bratislava near their border. there were two possible options and the organizing committee decided to swap SVK with NOR and just change the groups from Bratislava to Košice, so weĺl play CAN, FIN, USA, GER, DEN, FRA and GBR in Košice...

Anyway there still a slim problem, since apparently Canada is not happy with this decision and apparently already announced that they don´t want to play in Košice...

they could switch CAN and RUS and everybody would be happy, I guess...:d

p.s. for Italy these groups (RUS or CAN doesn't make any difference) are better than expected...having AUT and NOR in our group, gives us a more than slim chance to avoid relegation...honestly, those 2 teams are the only ones we can play with thinking that we can get a positive result against them...

p.p.s. I remember going to the Worlds here in Milan in 1994...it was an amazing and unforgettable experience...so, enjoy this opportunity as much as you can...;)

1 hour ago, phelps said:

they could switch CAN and RUS and everybody would be happy, I guess...:d

p.s. for Italy these groups (RUS or CAN doesn't make any difference) are better than expected...having AUT and NOR in our group, gives us a more than slim chance to avoid relegation...honestly, those 2 teams are the only ones we can play with thinking that we can get a positive result against them...

p.p.s. I remember going to the Worlds here in Milan in 1994...it was an amazing and unforgettable experience...so, enjoy this opportunity as much as you can...;)

The only possible swap can be CAN for SWE, but I don´t see this realistic, They will certainly not have more fans than Sweden to put them in Bratislava

I was in 2011 at CAN-FRA game and it was something unbelievable, + I enjoyed every second of the tournament, I remember the French and Swiss fans making great atmosphere in the local pubs :d

But this will be even better with our National team. Hopefully I´ll grab some tickets. wow, I´m so excited :bounce: