website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey IIHF World Championship 2019

hckošice

Some changes in the format. The Gold Medal Match will not have Penalty Shoot-Out anymore, if the Final match remains still tied even after the 20 minutes 3-on-3 Overtime, the match will still continue (with 3 skaters against 3) untill one of the teams scores the winning goal.

The IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship will get a new overtime format, starting at the 2019 edition next May in Slovakia. 

3-on-3 will be the standard for overtime in future World Championships, with a 3-on-3 sudden death format being adopted for the gold medal game. 

The new overtime format is as follows:

• Preliminary round games: 5-minute 3-on-3 + shootout
  • Quarter-finals/semi-finals/bronze medal game: 10-minute 3-on-3 + shootout
  • Gold Medal Game: 20-minute periods 3-on-3 sudden-death 

After receiving a mandate from the IIHF Council during the 2018 Semi-Annual Congress to examine and develop alternatives to the existing overtime format, the IIHF Competition and Coordination Committee presented a new proposal during the annual winter IIHF Council meeting held in Zurich on 4 December. 

Following Council modifications and approval, the new format will now be in place during the 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in Bratislava and Kosice, Slovakia.

The new format was proposed as a solution to for avoiding shootouts when deciding a gold medal game, while acknowledging other issues that prevent a 5-on-5 or 4-on-4 overtime sudden-death format. 

2 ore fa, hckosice ha scritto:

Some changes in the format. The Gold Medal Match will not have Penalty Shoot-Out anymore, if the Final match remains still tied even after the 20 minutes 3-on-3 Overtime, the match will still continue (with 3 skaters against 3) untill one of the teams scores the winning goal.

to be honest, I still consider the 3-on-3 OT just fun stuff, good for the regular season and the exhibition games...

but when it really matters, you just can't use it to decide the winner of a world championship (or a national league, by the way)...:pope:

moreover...20 mins (or more) 3-on-3 after the regulation? in a tournament where you already have to play 10 games in around 2 weeks? c'mon, man! that's the best way to force the players to give up or dope or just die on the ice...:facepalm::wall:

I don't really like this IIHF's decision...:facepalm::redcard:

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

to be honest, I still consider the 3-on-3 OT just fun stuff, good for the regular season and the exhibition games...

but when it really matters, you just can't use it to decide the winner of a world championship (or a national league, by the way)...:pope:

moreover...20 mins (or more) 3-on-3 after the regulation? in a tournament where you already have to play 10 games in around 2 weeks? c'mon, man! that's the best way to force the players to give up or dope or just die on the ice...:facepalm::wall:

I don't really like this IIHF's decision...:facepalm::redcard:

To be fair, it´s impossible that a 3-on-3 Overtime will last longer than 20 minutes :d even 20 minutes are unachievable in this format, so I am absolutely not affraid we will ever see this "new gold medal match rule" :d

2 minuti fa, hckosice ha scritto:

To be fair, it´s impossible that a 3-on-3 Overtime will last longer than 20 minutes :d even 20 minutes are unachievable in this format, so I am absolutely not affraid we will ever see this "new gold medal match rule" :d

well, with a world title at stake, I'd not take it for granted that some coaches would choose to play with hyper-defensive style which could lead to 20 and more mins of OT without even a shot on goal...;)

still, I hope to never see anything like that...

3 hours ago, phelps said:

well, with a world title at stake, I'd not take it for granted that some coaches would choose to play with hyper-defensive style which could lead to 20 and more mins of OT without even a shot on goal...;)

still, I hope to never see anything like that...

2017-18 season in KHL. Playoffs. Round 2, Game 5. Jokerit Helsinki vs CSKA Moscow. My favourite team Jokerit won that game 2-1. The game winning goal was made in 5th OT. Karri Rämö (Jokerit goalie at the time) had over 80 saves :d

6 hours ago, Finnator123 said:

2017-18 season in KHL. Playoffs. Round 2, Game 5. Jokerit Helsinki vs CSKA Moscow. My favourite team Jokerit won that game 2-1. The game winning goal was made in 5th OT. Karri Rämö (Jokerit goalie at the time) had over 80 saves :d

But this was played in classical 5-on-5 format, I still think the 3vs3 overtime will never last so long, Only few 5 minutes 3-on-3 format overtimes actually finished by penalty shoot-Outs sessions.

9 hours ago, Finnator123 said:

The only KHL game I ever watched live (mostly) :d And still almost missed the winning goal because after 4 overtimes I really needed a bathroom break and they scored like 5 seconds after I came back :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The only KHL game I ever watched live (mostly) :d And still almost missed the winning goal because after 4 overtimes I really needed a bathroom break and they scored like 5 seconds after I came back :lol: 

welcome on the section :hatoff:

• 1 month later...