website statistics

European Games 2019

uk12points

so, the Games are finally over...

I must admit that generally it wasn't anything exciting, but still I've been pleased to watch some really entertaining competitions...

the final medal table of course is the most meaningless thing of the Games, as the schedule was built without most significant sports and too many Nations didn't take it seriously in any case...

Italy did...and we ended up with a lot of medals (the vast majority of them coming from archery -1 week after the epic fail at the world champs- and shotgun shooting -just ahead of their world champs, so nothing to cheer about too much), behind only the 3 former Soviet Countries that were expected to dominate the field (RUS, BLR and UKR)...

despite all those medals, the only thing to save is Boari's Olympic Quota in archery and, only if it becomes another Olympic Quota (we have to wait until next April to know that :yikes::facepalm:), Semeraro's Gold Medal in Karate...

hopefully, next time round (in 4 years, in Krakow, POL) it will be better...

6 minutes ago, phelps said:

hopefully, next time round (in 4 years, in Krakow, POL) it will be better...

Hopefully with a better programme too. It's nice to have sambo and other non-Olympic sports but there's no reason not to have aquatics, fencing, taekwondo, rowing and most of all, a proper athletics programme.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

The games were initially good, but I haven't watched the previous few days of action at all, because it was too boring. Only few sports - shooting, archery, 3*3 basketball and maybe some tt and beach soccer was nice. With no enough sports and lack of interest among competing nations, didn't like it much. :spank:

Major sport missing for me to watch - Weightlifting and Handball:nopompom:

These games really lost momentum throughout the week for me, and the forum too it seems. First few days were exciting with lots of events and generated much discussion on the thread. By the later stages there were only a few events per day and lots of similar sports, the thread also seemed to lose interest too. It will be interesting to see what happens in Krakow, hopefully a proper aquatics and athletics program will make the games more exciting.

I have to say despite the Games really lacking both in interest and programmes to other continental Games, it is still enjoyable. At least I still say that it is enjoyable than the Islamic Solidarity Games, for example.

When watching other sports like shooting, wrestling, or cycling during the absence of badminton broadcast, I can feel the competition. For example, watching the men's points race managed to calm my anger when the Olympic Channel decided to not broadcast badminton :p

Hopefully Krakow will be bigger and better.

6 minutes ago, uk12points said:

These games really lost momentum throughout the week for me, and the forum too it seems. First few days were exciting with lots of events and generated much discussion on the thread. By the later stages there were only a few events per day and lots of similar sports, the thread also seemed to lose interest too. It will be interesting to see what happens in Krakow, hopefully a proper aquatics and athletics program will make the games more exciting.

Couldn't agree more. Perfectly said. 

Our last Today In Minsk Episode is going to come out tomorrow. Sorry to inconvenience, just need time to put it together

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

27 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Just watched the closing, I thought they wanted to imitate Misha in Moscow 1980 but Lesik just standing there and staring lol

They always want to imitate Misha from Moscow 1980. Only in 1980 it seemed like a spontaneous, emotional moment that made everyone cry. Sochi version (and apparently Minsk version) was nothing more than a cheap sentiment.

#banbestmen

Right, finally time for the Games to begin? I've been waiting patiently for a while for the broadcasts to start, let's go :cheer:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!