website statistics

Men's Field Hockey FIH World Cup 2023

Totallympics

On 1/14/2023 at 12:00 PM, CCB said:

Dutch team doesn't play well against Malaysia. Too many technical mistakes. I expected a lot more of our young team. Hopefully their level will go up in the next match against New Zealand.

Australia made the best impression in the first matches. In my opinion biggest favourite for the title.

4-0

4-0

14-0

I'd say the level has increased. :d 

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

Most impressive team so far is England. I think this is the strongest they have looked since 2012.  

I knew beforehand that Netherlands was in a "mirage" pool with extremely weak teams... Chile weakest team in the WC, Malaysia typical defensively weak asian team, NZ a declining team.   

The QF match will be a drastic spike in difficulty for them.

2 hours ago, Quasit said:

4-0

4-0

14-0

I'd say the level has increased. :d 

For sure, the second match and today's match were a lot better. But in the end we have to be honest: group C was incredibly weak. In the quarterfinal we play against Australia/Argentina or South Korea. It will be an extremely difficult match for the Dutch.

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

Quarterfinals  

:AUS v :ESP

:ENG v :GER

:NED v :KOR

:BEL v :NZL

It'll be three huge blowouts and one 50/50, great advertisement for the sport :lol: 

Which one is the 50/50 according to you? I would think Australia, England, Netherlands and Belgium are the four clear favorites, but I haven't seen any matches from this tournament.

Hockey world championships used to be broadcasted on national TV I feel like, but there's nothing this year.

1 hour ago, Jinzha said:

Which one is the 50/50 according to you? I would think Australia, England, Netherlands and Belgium are the four clear favorites, but I haven't seen any matches from this tournament.

Hockey world championships used to be broadcasted on national TV I feel like, but there's nothing this year.

I think :GER vs :ENG could/should be closer than the other QTF matches

if I'm not wrong, in the Netherlands, it's all on Ziggo Sport :mumble:

by the way, if you feel the lack of media coverage/interest in the "Hockey Nation" par excellence, just imagine how do the fans living in Countries with no tradition/general interest/media coverage feel. :facepalm: :wall:

the current tenure of the International Federation is just killing the sport, making it almost inaccessible because of pay-walls and/or giving the media rights to obscure/non reliable companies. :hairpull:

31 minutes ago, phelps said:

the current tenure of the International Federation is just killing the sport, making it almost inaccessible because of pay-walls and/or giving the media rights to obscure/non reliable companies. :hairpull:

Yeah this is such a frustrating trend in basically every sport. I believe hockey international tournaments used to be on the NOS public channel just a few years ago.

Maybe it's on Ziggo Sport this time, but I have 'the other' tv provider, because they're the one covering Eredivisie football weekly. So then if I want just the Ziggo Sport channel it's like € 10,- weekly.

Edited by Jinzha

On 1/11/2023 at 11:36 AM, phelps said:

good job, well done! dear International Hockey Federation! :thumbup:

Luckily they're doing a great job in posting highlights on YouTube! I mean, Argentina - South Korea 5-5 and then shootouts, why would you even want to show more than 1 goal for each team and then 3 of the shootout attempts?

:facepalm: 

At least in the Netherlands it's shown pretty well on Ziggo Sport, which shows most matches (and I have it since it has tons of sports I watch anyway), but I can absolutely imagine how it is outside of 'big hockey nations'....just like men's handball used to be entirely impossible for us to watch in a somewhat easy way, just this year Viaplay stepped in and actually uses their rights by showing literally every single match of the world championships :bowdown: 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!