website statistics

Poll 53/100 | The Statistical Poll

Poll 53/100  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following statements would be true?

• USA will win at least 1 gold in BMX freestyle event
    • Kosovo will win at least 2 medals in Judo
    • At least one gold medal match will end by a fall in wrestling
    • At least 2 Youth Olympic Gold medallist from 2018 will be Olympic Gold Medallist
    • At least 3 matches in football will be decided by penalty shoot out
    • At least 5 Olympic records will be broken in swimming

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Extra Poll

Who is the most underrated and overrated Olympic Medallist in your country? 

This is a difficult one, but I would say that the most underrated is Maialen Chorraut (canoeing). She won the gold medal in Rio, bronze in London and is, alongside Rafa Nadal, the only of our 7 gold medallits in Rio that can defend her title in Tokyo. She also has a daughter, which makes it even more deserving, but she is not popular at all in Spain compared to other recent medallists.

I don't think we have an overrated Olympic Medallist in Spain, at least none than I can remember now. Maybe Fermín Cacho, but his gold medal in Barcelona 92 was very iconic, so I wouldn't say that overrated is the right word to use to describe him.

About the polls..

1) pretty sure yes.

2) I think there's a good chance, in 48 and 52kg women.

3) who knows.

4) From the top of my mind Milak and maybe Kolesnikov?. The indians in pistol are a good shot as well.

5) Who knows.

6) Who knows.

my picks...

1) it looks so obvious...

4) only in Swimming, in Buenos Aires we had people like Milak and Kolesnikov and in Boxing, Caroline Dubois...so, I think this is really obvious...

6) Caeleb Dressel alone should be enough to fill this request...

3 & 5 to me are very unlikely, number 2 could well be, but they actually have only 2 real shots to make it through...so, I don't think it's gonna happen...

extra poll...

for what concerns Italy, all athletics, gymnastics (especially the insignificant silver & bronze medals in rhythmic gymnastics), diving medals are well overestimated, meanwhile all the combat sports medals are way underrated...actually, some of them (shooting, judo and boxing above all) in recent times have been often seen as undesiderable...

just look at the last week...a lot of space on the media for Surfing and Skateboarding despite their epic fail and general mediocrity, a few lines for the also epic fail of the men's boxing (first time since 1920 that we don't qualify a single man to the Games in that sport), just a short mention to the 3 (today came the 4th) boxing girls qualifying to Tokyo and not a single word about the rifle and pistol quota places won (just a few words on the men's Trap, but only because of the Rossi vs De Filippis soap opera)...

our Country, unfortunately, is a place full of hypocrites...:facepalm: :hairpull:

NO.4 At least 2 Youth Olympic Gold medallist from 2018 will be Olympic Gold Medallist

Just in China, one is for sure and one is possible. Sun Yingsha, 2018 table tennis women's singles champion, will win women's team for sure. Yang Junxuan, 2018 swimming relay gold medalist, is among gold medal contenders in 200m free with 1:54.57 Asian record in national trial. She will not attend 400m or 1500m so I think she is competitive even compared to Ledecky.

1 hour ago, Vic Liu said:

NO.4 At least 2 Youth Olympic Gold medallist from 2018 will be Olympic Gold Medallist

Just in China, one is for sure and one is possible. Sun Yingsha, 2018 table tennis women's singles champion, will win women's team for sure. Yang Junxuan, 2018 swimming relay gold medalist, is among gold medal contenders in 200m free with 1:54.57 Asian record in national trial. She will not attend 400m or 1500m so I think she is competitive even compared to Ledecky.

no way!

look...July, 28th is my birthday...so, I already asked as a birthday present Federica (Pellegrini) winning the Gold Medal in that race...:fingers:

so, there is no chance for anybody else to ruin my birthday...

do not even try...:finger:

please!!! 

1 hour ago, phelps said:

no way!

look...July, 28th is my birthday...so, I already asked as a birthday present Federica (Pellegrini) winning the Gold Medal in that race...:fingers:

so, there is no chance for anybody else to ruin my birthday...

do not even try...:finger:

please!!! 

Good luck to Federica Pellegrini then.:d Still need American and Australian blessing.

19 hours ago, LDOG said:

The indians in pistol are a good shot as well.

Oh yes when made the poll I was like gymnasts and swimmers. But then came to India oh well. Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Chaudhary are gold medalist in 2018 and haven't lost in last 3 years in Senior Mixed Team 10m Air Pistol as a team. Moreover Saurabh is in top form in 10m air pistol and Manu is participating in 10m and 25m pistol, with the latter event having better chance of individual gold medal

On 07/06/2021 at 12:45, Fly_like_a_don said:

Extra Poll

Who is the most underrated and overrated Olympic Medallist in your country? 

The most underrated medalist from Brazil is probably Maicon Siqueira (taekwondo). No one expected him to win a medal, and then he did win a medal but unfortunately it was on the very same day that Brazil won gold in football. Then in 2019 he won a medal at the World Championships and media mostly ignored it because 4 other athletes won medals at the Worlds, and he was just "another one". Ouch.

The most overrated medalist has to be Diego Hypólito (artistic gymnastics). He's always invited to TV shows and when he opens his mouth, I cringe. He's one of those conservative gay people; he's almost ashamed to be gay, and he speaks about God and family values all the time so he can gain support from conservative people. Ironically, he ran as a councilor and failed to gather enough votes, what is a huge, huge shame for an Olympic medalist as well-known as he is. Still, most people use him as an example for never giving up. He was the favorite for the gold medal on floor in 2008, then a favorite for a medal of any color in 2012, but her failed on both occasions. In 2016 he won a medal and people now love him because of this. I really dislike his personality, though, and he's very unpleasant to me.