website statistics

Poll 42/100 | Qualifications | Which Team Sport had the best Qualification System ?

Poll 42/100  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which team sport had the best Qualification System?

• Baseball/Softball
    • Basketball
    • Field Hockey
    • Football
    • Handball
    • Rugby Sevens
    • Water Polo
    • Volleyball

Water polo by a country mile...

World Championships + World League with top priority, just to remove the possibility of the reigning title holders missing out. Then continental spots. And then the final tournament, where the most spots are awarded at once, and which is organized logically compared to the unrelated groups / home-away match nonsense from handball, field hockey and volleyball...

And in the end, each team has four (!) pathways of qualification, so any failure is really and only up to them...

#banbestmen

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

Water polo by a country mile...

World Championships + World League with top priority, just to remove the possibility of the reigning title holders missing out. Then continental spots. And then the final tournament, where the most spots are awarded at once, and which is organized logically compared to the unrelated groups / home-away match nonsense from handball, field hockey and volleyball...

And in the end, each team has four (!) pathways of qualification, so any failure is really and only up to them...

Priority qualification of world league champion USA in women's created many problems which culminated with both Greece and Italy missing out. That was a glaring mistake. IMO a world champion should be good enough to qualify with any system, if they aren't a fluke.

I picked hockey system over water polo because it made sure the 11 best teams (+south africa) will be at the games. Not the case with Water polo.

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

Water polo by a country mile

Well so you justify South Africa qualifying without competiting . At least there was competition in field hockey in Africa and moreover it's a deserving team unlike in water polo

2 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Well so you justify South Africa qualifying without competiting . At least there was competition in field hockey in Africa and moreover it's a deserving team unlike in water polo

Absolutely. It's about the concept, not about happenstance.

#banbestmen

I went with Rugby Sevens because it’s a pretty solid qualification system. 4 from the world tour, continental champions, and a final world qualifier.

Also worth noting, in my opinion, field hockey and handball.

Most team sports qualification systems left a lot to be desired this cycle though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

26 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

went with Rugby Sevens because it’s a pretty solid qualification system. 4 from the world tour, continental champions, and a final world qualifier.

It was kinda terrible. The women's American Qualifier was cancelled because US and Canada had already qualified. You shouldn't change rules like that. I know the teams below weren't good but imagine US qualifying and the tournament would happen and maybe something spectacular like Jamaica or someone trained very well and won it. I know chances are less but it's absurd to change qualification system just because the team you wanted to qualify qualified.

Imagine if Netherlands qualified before European Qualifier, Israel would not have qualified. 

40 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

It was kinda terrible. The women's American Qualifier was cancelled because US and Canada had already qualified. You shouldn't change rules like that. I know the teams below weren't good but imagine US qualifying and the tournament would happen and maybe something spectacular like Jamaica or someone trained very well and won it. I know chances are less but it's absurd to change qualification system just because the team you wanted to qualify qualified.

Imagine if Netherlands qualified before European Qualifier, Israel would not have qualified. 

To be fair, that rule was originally in place so everyone knew before hand. It was still unfair to make it. If they really didn't want Jamaica/Mexico then they should have made the continental qualifiers have higher priority than the World Series.

On 27/05/2021 at 09:08, LDOG said:

Priority qualification of world league champion USA in women's created many problems which culminated with both Greece and Italy missing out. That was a glaring mistake. IMO a world champion should be good enough to qualify with any system, if they aren't a fluke.

This x100. I honestly have no idea how people can be saying water polo. I guess their countries weren't affected so they don't understand. China, Canada, Australia, South Africa all did nothing to qualify. They made it by simply existing. If they want to give each continent representation, then there should be 12 teams like all other team sports and not 10. Or at least make Asia and Oceania combined. Ridiculous that Australia gets a free pass in so many team sports just because of their location.

Women's water polo especially has always been flawed. I'll remind everyone of Greece's 2009-12 Olympic cycle results:

2009 Worlds-4th

2010 Euros-2nd

2011 Worlds-1st

2012 Euros-2nd

Also won two World League bronze medals during these years. But we didn't qualify. Make it make sense.