website statistics

Men's Water Polo Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Isn't the event from March 22nd-29th or did the date change?

the FINA website actually has March 22nd-29th as the date of the tournament, meanwhile on other sources (wiki, but not only them) have the one I wrote in my previous post...

tbh, I'd rather trust FINA...so, I guess the correct date is March 22nd-29th...:mumble:

I have posted two days ago in womens' thread, now in mens' as well:

Kazakhstan was selected as a host country. It was planned that the tournament would be held in the capital of Kazakhstan Nur-Sultan (previously named Astana) in the middle of February (12th – 16th).

But, yesterday, Kazakhstan refused to organize the continental championships. The Government of Kazakhstan suspended all passengers traveling to and from neighboring county China. It also suspended the issue of visas to Chinese citizens because of an outbreak of a new coronavirus spread.

After this government’s decision, the Aquatics Federation of Kazakhstan had to give up the organization of the tournament.

The Asian Swimming Federation and FINA have to find a new solution quickly. The Asian Championships have to be finished before the World Qualifications.

Source: https://total-waterpolo.com/problems-on-road-to-tokyo-kazakhstan-refuses-to-host-asian-championships/

30 minutes ago, ATHENS 1896 said:

I have posted two days ago in womens' thread, now in mens' as well:

Kazakhstan was selected as a host country. It was planned that the tournament would be held in the capital of Kazakhstan Nur-Sultan (previously named Astana) in the middle of February (12th – 16th).

But, yesterday, Kazakhstan refused to organize the continental championships. The Government of Kazakhstan suspended all passengers traveling to and from neighboring county China. It also suspended the issue of visas to Chinese citizens because of an outbreak of a new coronavirus spread.

After this government’s decision, the Aquatics Federation of Kazakhstan had to give up the organization of the tournament.

The Asian Swimming Federation and FINA have to find a new solution quickly. The Asian Championships have to be finished before the World Qualifications.

Source: https://total-waterpolo.com/problems-on-road-to-tokyo-kazakhstan-refuses-to-host-asian-championships/

Good news for China. With so many qualifiers in coming months, the preparation for China would be very tough due to the travel bans. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, phelps said:

Olympic Qualification Tournament (Rotterdam, NED, March 22nd - March 29th)

Preliminary stage draw

Group A

:WHT TBD (Asia #1)

Group B

:WHT TBD (Asia #2)

well it's easy to predict that Asia #1 will be :CHN and Asia #2 will be :IRI . but if they want to participate here that's another question.

but according to Iranian Swimming Federation, they received a letter from organizers and the Asian Qualifiers are postponed to 24 February, in the same venue, Kazakhstan. but this is just a proposal and not confirmed yet. it seems they want to kill time as much as possible because both Chinese teams are in Europe (in Spain if I'm not wrong) and in a kind of quarantine

38 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I hope the Canadian team that shows up is actually competitive. They have been highly inconsistent.

Canada got a decent group, third place is very possible which sets up a quarterfinal against Russia (or Germany/Netherlands). Of course it won't be easy and we'd still have to get past Croatia/Greece/Montenegro which is unlikely, but at least things are set up to make it possible oppose to being in the other group where we may finish third or fourth and have to face Greece/Montenegro during the quarterfinal.

35 minutes ago, MHSN said:

well it's easy to predict that Asia #1 will be :CHN and Asia #2 will be :IRI . but if they want to participate here that's another question.

but according to Iranian Swimming Federation, they received a letter from organizers and the Asian Qualifiers are postponed to 24 February, in the same venue, Kazakhstan. but this is just a proposal and not confirmed yet. it seems they want to kill time as much as possible because both Chinese teams are in Europe (in Spain if I'm not wrong) and in a kind of quarantine

Yeah, China is pretty much sending all of their athletes overseas and having them quarantined so they can still participate in qualifiers and the Olympics. By the end of the month/March all their athletes should be fine to compete anywhere.