website statistics

Winter World University Games 2023

Totallympics

36 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wait, how is that possible? At the very least it would be vlho-va, right? How can 'Vlhova' have as many syllables as 'Hey' or 'One' or 'Door'? :p 

Was joking obviously :d ofc it has 2

Pronunciaton: Vlhova-h easy once you learn how to say VLH without adding anything between them :d example: one of the cleanes pronunciations by Slovak TV comentator live in Beijing :lol:

14 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Was joking obviously :d ofc it has 2

Pronunciaton: Vlhova-h easy once you learn how to say VLH without adding anything between them :d example: one of the cleanes pronunciations by Slovak TV comentator live in Beijing :lol:

Right, thanks :d 

I pronounce it basically the same as one would pronounce 'Vlova', I just ignore that H there :p But I got curious, because German commentators (both on German TV and in Austrian stadiums) always pronounce it with 3 syllables, something like "Vruh-lo-va" :d I always wonder what's up with that R they add there :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I am genuinely surprised to see good biathlon graphics by the way, that is highly unusual for non-IBU events :yikes: 

This is exactly how one should show graphics in a time-trial-like event: current athlete's time (Nedza-Kubiniec), fastest athlete's time (Rousseau) and the time and position of the next athlete whom the current athlete can beat (Yegorova). Extra props for having hte total shooting misses at that stage for all three!

X0rObqK.png

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

33 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Very cool that the speed skating is taking place on the outdoor track, I’m guessing the Eric Heiden 1980 one.

Yep! This location was also used for the 1932 Winter Olympics as well (the only time speed skating was contested in a pack format instead of a time trial.)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

On the World Cup circuit, leaders get elaborate thrones to sit on. Here: three barbecue chairs.

Those are known as Muskoka/Adirondack chairs, and is part of the tradition in Upstate New York. Nice cultural touch I'd say