website statistics

Winter World University Games 2023

Totallympics

@Olympian1010 You're a native English speaker: is it an English thing to just mispronounce names as much as you can? :p 

I've been watching the biathlon and cross-country and when there isn't the Dutch Eurosport commentator, I have to make do with one of those generic English commentators, and they seem to really try to mess names up. And really not complicated names: Antosova is consistently called 'Anostova', for example, and Kryukova is all the time being called 'Krykuova'. Where does this extra 'k' come from? And why does Antos become Anost, every time? :d 

It's not a matter of not being able to pronounce certain letters or so, which is of course normal in different languages, but why this adding of non-existing syllables and switching syllables around when the names are very clearly shown on-screen? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

@Olympian1010 You're a native English speaker: is it an English thing to just mispronounce names as much as you can? :p 

I've been watching the biathlon and cross-country and when there isn't the Dutch Eurosport commentator, I have to make do with one of those generic English commentators, and they seem to really try to mess names up. And really not complicated names: Antosova is consistently called 'Anostova', for example, and Kryukova is all the time being called 'Krykuova'. Where does this extra 'k' come from? And why does Antos become Anost, every time? :d 

It's not a matter of not being able to pronounce certain letters or so, which is of course normal in different languages, but why this adding of non-existing syllables and switching syllables around when the names are very clearly shown on-screen? :d 

I will never forget how the English speaking commentator insisted on pronouncing the name of Roar Ljoekelsoey as Lyoklesloy every single time !!! It was about banging my head against the wall sometimes I swear

3 minutes ago, hckošice said:

I will never forget how the English speaking commentator insisted on pronouncing the name of Roar Ljoekelsoey as Lyoklesloy every single time !!! It was about banging my head against the wall sometimes I swear

About it: how many syllables are in the name 'Vlhova'?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

About it: how many syllables are in the name 'Vlhova'?

Should be one in normal languages :p

Anyway, we know english announcers are not extremely careful about foreign names pronunciations, but if you look for even worse than there one country where the commentators do not give two shit about foreign names at all, France :d

Yeah, I do love France, french people and their commentators, oh man, they really have a special place in my heart :lol:, I really do love them but mainly for their absolute not give a fuck about how it has to be spelled at all when it is about any other than french name..trust me, I always have a gazilion of laugh listening to them :lol:

Sometimes it go completely out of control

Q- There are Two Lee on the field now.    note: (Lit (read Li) in french means a bed )

A- Yeah, it is a big apartment :p

7 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Should be one in normal languages :p

Wait, how is that possible? At the very least it would be vlho-va, right? How can 'Vlhova' have as many syllables as 'Hey' or 'One' or 'Door'? :p